IGNORED

Ikegami monitor

James app-2008

Hello, 

i bought an ikegami monitor. It has rgb. Ive watched movies on it and was playing sega genesis with a scart cable so i could use rgb

i recently took it out to my moms. But when i tried to play nintendo. I have two nintendos one rgb modded and one stock

but i had various issues with the video. I tried both consoles but the video was messed up. Anything from blue screen, zelda playing monochrome. To missing sprites on zelda to some objects not rendering? Also sometimes the video on screen would move and jitter. 

the monitor was working before i took it to my moms, i was watching videos and playing sega genesis?

i really want to be able to use my ikegami crt to play rgb on my nes?

but anyway i came to my house this morning and using one of my nes’s the unmodded one got it to work? Started with a blue screen but fooled around a little and got it to work using composite on another monitor.

anyway does any one have any thoughts on why my ikegami monitor didnt work? 

16 hours ago, James app-2008 said:

but anyway i came to my house this morning and using one of my nes’s the unmodded one got it to work? Started with a blue screen but fooled around a little and got it to work using composite on another monitor.

To me that reads that the NES did not work on the ikegami once you got it back home but after some messing around you got the NES to work on a different monitor which suggests to me that it may be the NES and not the ikegami that is the issue. Particularly when taken in conjunction the your comments about missing sprites and objects not rendering, those issue are far more likely to be a NES issue than the monitor which just displays the video it is sent and so has nothing to do with object rendering and sprite generation.

Have you tried placing the ikegami back in its original position, hooking it up as it was to the video source and Sega genesis when working and see it it still works? 

If it does work that would again suggest the issue my be with the NES, if it does not work then there are a couple of possibilities...

1) Component failure: By co-incidence a component failed at the time you move the monitor to your mothers, look for capacitor that appear to be bulging/discharging something, and components that appeared to be scorched/blackened with heat (the underlying PCB may also be blackened).

2) Dry (bad)/cracked solder joint: Physical flexing of the PCB and/or thermal expansion/contraction of the PCB the monitor encountered during transportation my have exposed a bad solder joint. Unfortunately, if that is the issue finding it could be very difficult as it require close visual inspection of every solder joint and even then you have to know what to look for.

You could try pressing parts of the PCB with an insulated object like a wooden spoon/chopstick to see if it gets better which might reduce your search area a bit. However, be careful, if it is a CRT monitor will be several thousand volts on the areas connected to the rear to the tube and at least 15000 volts for the tubes EHT line. If it is a LDC there is likely to be several thousand volts of EHT for the LCD back light as even the Atari Lynx has a 2000 volt transformer for that.