IGNORED

Favorite game?

Back then, Double Dragon 2.

Today? DieHard Special Edition. It's a hack that makes John Mclane look more like Bruce Willis..... the game is easier. You no longer pick up soda for health.... now it's packs of Marlboros instead and blood has been added. Such a sick game. Would have been considered a much better game if it released this way back in the day. I hate the original.

• Like 1

It may have been mentioned before (I have not read the entire thread), but I am a big fan of Trojan. I actually like the NES version better than the arcade version.

Other than that, I am a huge fan of RPGs, of which the NES has absolutely no shortage. 

• Like 2

Regarding obvious answers, I'd probably rank Metroid and Zelda over Mario, Megaman, and Castlevania, but they're all excellent franchises of course.

The next tier for me would be something like Bionic CommandoRC Pro AM, Tecmo Bowl, and RBI Baseball (and their sequels).  Maybe Mike Tyson's Punch Out fits here.

On the more obscure side, I really enjoyed the NES version of North and SouthSky Kid is also an excellent side-scrolling shooter that gets overlooked, and Ufouria: The Saga is a PAL exclusive that borrows heavily from Metroid.

-------

I'll also weigh in on Zelda 2.  It was such a HUGE disappointment for me that I returned it to the store.  I couldn't waste my allowance money on that.  My tastes have matured, and I play all kinds of games now.  I'm sure I'd find something to like about it if I played it again, but I still have no desire.

Another game on the NOT my favorite list is TMNT.  This game had some HUGE hype around it, but I was very disappointed with it.  The top-down segments are pointless, and it was just another frustrating side-scrolling platformer.  The turtles were barely different and the game was too hard to be really fun.  I know people always talk about the underwater stage, but I got past that point and then quit later because I was bored.  For me, TMNT is to the NES what Pac-Man was to the 2600.  I kinda stopped paying attention after that.  At least they got the graphics and sound right though.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 2:25 PM, WispFollower said:

I don't think I have ever seen anyone talk about this game, but I have loved it since I was a kid- Rescue - The Embassy Mission. This game is an absolute gem with wonderful sound effects and straight up incredible music.

The embassy is taken by bad guys. You have to sneak your team of dudes into tactical positions while spotlights search for you and shoot if you don't avoid them. Next phase is sniping any visible guys from surviving team members you moved into position.

At any point, you can choose from another group of guys who were dropped by helicopter onto the roof to send in and clean house. You need to repel down to a window on whichever floor you choose. When you are over the window, smash in and move room to room, lighting up bad guys to a rocking beat. Watch out for hostages!

There are different settings to change complexity and difficulty. It is very repayable and can be played many ways to get the job done. Try to minimize casualties and beat the clock!

Known by different names on various platforms, this type of multi-stage game was my favorite in the late 80s.  Games like this really gave you the sense that there was a lot to do (besides run to the right).  Mindscape was also one of my personal favorite publishers at the time.  It is really a nice treat that this made it to the NES.

Hostage: Rescue Mission (1988) - MobyGames

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wongojack said:

Known by different names on various platforms, this type of multi-stage game was my favorite in the late 80s.  Games like this really gave you the sense that there was a lot to do (besides run to the right).  Mindscape was also one of my personal favorite publishers at the time.  It is really a nice treat that this made it to the NES.

Hostage: Rescue Mission (1988) - MobyGames

That's awesome! I didn't realize it was on so many platforms. It makes me happy to see this game is appreciated and played by more than I thought. Since I never hear anyone mention it, I kind of always thought it was one of those nes games I love and others hate.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

One of my absolute favorites growing up was Tombs & Treasure.

It was one of first, if not the first, adventure games I completed on my own without any help, and I felt like I had really accomplished something.  It's funny the things you recall from being a kid.  There's a part where you can actually get stuck in the game (you need to use some item to keep a door open, and if you remove the item inside the room, the door closes permanently)... and the game actually acknowledges that you are stuck there.  It really was no big deal as I had my earlier password to go back on, but to be stuck in a room and ultimately starve to death just because you made a mistake seemed absolutely horrifying to me.

It's really an interesting game for the system, and I would recommend it to fans of Shadowgate or Deja Vu, as it plays very similarly.  It has some neat features though, such as multiple characters (each has his or her own abilities, but it's mostly for story) and multiple viewpoints:

156081-tombs-treasure-nes-screenshot-a-pedestal-in-el-caracol.png.6719b6c3401b4e9340c9fc3e5e28059d.png

First-person view inside temples, like Shadowgate...

156080-tombs-treasure-nes-screenshot-walking-around-outside.png.522f85186c7103c4e003300259bf8ddc.png

Overheard view outdoors, like Final Fantasy

It also sounds fantastic—I'd rank it as one of my top 5 NES soundtracks of all time.  Really creepy atmosphere!

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

Ya know if I'd answered the question properly and given A Favorite, instead of a list of favorites (Hey I couldn't choose!)...

I'd probably just say a tie between

Deadly Towers

Faxanadu

I know, I know...(That's still not A favorite...But I'm getting better)  

For future reference:

Deadly_Towers_-_1986_-_Br%25C3%25B8derbu

^ Deadly Towers

38095-faxanadu-nes-screenshot-strange-cr

^Faxanadu

• Like 4

On 7/28/2021 at 5:49 AM, RetroSonicHero said:

I think I'm probably the only soul on the planet who feels this way, but I actually get a kick out of the first Top Gun game from time to time, despite the issues it has.

Top Gun 2 is a different story for me, I felt like it was a bit jarring to play.

I love Top Gun.  It was a favorite as kid, and still is.   I never really had any issues landing the plane -- I always love that tension of having to get everything just perfect or else the whole mission is blown.

• Like 2

Top Gun 1 and 2 on NES are great, but quite different in various approaches, but if you bubble them off and just play them for what they are, they're equally great.  The only wonk thing is why did they set backwards controls for flight as default on TG2 for NES -- soooo aggravating if you forget to go into options and reverse them so pulling back on the stick goes UP (not down to your death.)

TG1 took me a bit of time as a kid to get it, and I can still foul it up even now, not 100% and I doubt most people are, but the carrier landings are fun if not at least suspenseful seeing if you'll splash, crater, or land.

On 12/22/2020 at 11:37 PM, pacman000 said:

I don’t have a NES, but I’ve been interested in the system for a long time. If I were to get one, what games would you recommend? Any favorites? Hidden Gems?

Zanac and Life Force are fantastic space-ship shooters, and very reasonably priced nowadays.  Starship Hector and Section Z are a couple of (IMO) underrated titles on the platform.

Legend of Zelda is probably the best game on the system, but a cart is expensive and the batteries are all dead, so you'll need an aftermarket option like a flashcart or repro.

Just grab all those games that are a dime a dozen and defined the system. Final Fantasy, River City Ransom, Double Dribble, SNK Baseball Stars, Contra, you name it! There are a ton of fantastic games on the NES.

• Like 1

Do you even look into what you're writing before you do @rubeon before you post?  Or are those values so grossly different in the UK?  Zelda for the NES is like $25-30, not expensive.  Yet you're calling various games a dime a dozen that clearly are not.  Double Dribble sure is a $5 game still, and Baseball Stars tops out $15-20 range.  But when you get into Final Fantasy ($25), Contra ($35-40), and River City Ransom ($35-40+) that's very misleading.

Games that defined the system largely today rest in a range of $15-40 more or less.  Some of the iconic stuff get into troll pricing of $50-150 range like 1/2 the Mega Man titles.

There are definitely ones that define it more or less by who you ask that still are affordable ($5-30) range but it kind of just depends what you're after.

• 2 months later...

Favorite NES game? Mario 3 obviously

I don't truly have an all time favorite but If i had to pick one, it would be Super mario 2. I can excuse the redesigning of the game from the original because it works so well.

What a shame that more people don't play it. The actual mario 2 is balls

I've got a lot of the usual favorites, like the Castlevanias, Contras, Zeldas, Mega Mans, Ninja Gaidens, Double Dragons, etc. After thinking about it however, I'd say my single favorite game on the system is the original Super Mario Bros. It's just super easy to pick up and play, doesn't require a large time commitment, the movement and physics hold up extremely well to this day, it's fast, and it's just good, simple fun. It's the game I go back to the most on the NES.

Gun Nac

Weird and yet so fun. No other space shooter lets you kill the Easter Bunny while He flings lethal carrots at you while the both of you are fighting on the moon. The craters smile for some reason.

Also, Crisis force.

Also Also, I'd rent that movie in a heartbeat. Imagine a Gun Nac movie. I can see it now.

Bugs bunny has ingested lethal radioactive material and his carrots have rendered the US near dead. Only one guy who hates Rabbits with a passion can fly to his moon base and end the threats. Why Threats? Because one has turned into a hundred. 

Fly safe Lt. Elmer Fudd

Edited by Frozone212

9 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

Gun Nac

Weird and yet so fun. No other space shooter lets you kill the Easter Bunny while He flings lethal carrots at you while the both of you are fighting on the moon. The craters smile for some reason.

Also, Crisis force.

Also Also, I'd rent that movie in a heartbeat. Imagine a Gun Nac movie. I can see it now.

Bugs bunny has ingested lethal radioactive material and his carrots have rendered the US near dead. Only one guy who hates Rabbits with a passion can fly to his moon base and end the threats. Why Threats? Because one has turned into a hundred. 

Fly safe Lt. Elmer Fudd

Wait until you see the other bosses... heh

If you like how silly Gun-Nac is be sure to check out Twinbee 3. My favorite boss in Twinbee 3 is performing dentistry on a (friendly) dragon's teeth.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

On 5/6/2022 at 11:18 AM, Austin said:

I've got a lot of the usual favorites, like the Castlevanias, Contras, Zeldas, Mega Mans, Ninja Gaidens, Double Dragons, etc. After thinking about it however, I'd say my single favorite game on the system is the original Super Mario Bros. It's just super easy to pick up and play, doesn't require a large time commitment, the movement and physics hold up extremely well to this day, it's fast, and it's just good, simple fun. It's the game I go back to the most on the NES.

Nice to see some love for the original SMB. It's actually my favorite Mario for the reasons you mention. I like how straightforward and non-gimmicky it is. Not too long, not too short. It's just right.

But my "go to" NES game has been Tetris for a while now. One of these days I'm gonna hit 600k. I've come close.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...