IGNORED

Paprium Game Hardware Testing / Compatibility

-^CrossBow^-

8 hours ago, chicgamer said:

Ah, I didn't realize that there was an audio CD for Escape 2042. I only have the ROM I purchased from itch.io, which didn't come with an ISO for the audio CD.

The audio CD is or at least was freely available from Orion's website. It was actually the Dreamcast version of the game ISO disc. All the audio is redbook so it works for both the DC and the SegaCD.

• 4 weeks later...

I just received my copy yesterday and can confirm that it works fine on my stock original model HD graphics Genesis (not sure which motherboard version it is, sorry!). I can also confirm that it will not advance past the mini game screen on a Mega SG, very disappointing. My Retro Freak wouldn’t recognize the cartridge at all (sigh). My Atgames flashback unit recognizes the game, dumps it, but also only grants access to the mini game. I have a few other Genesis models I’m going to try out later to see how they react. But so far, all the HDMI options I’ve tried have been fruitless :(

On 2/17/2021 at 1:30 PM, Scotterpop said:

I just received my copy yesterday and can confirm that it works fine on my stock original model HD graphics Genesis (not sure which motherboard version it is, sorry!). I can also confirm that it will not advance past the mini game screen on a Mega SG, very disappointing. My Retro Freak wouldn’t recognize the cartridge at all (sigh). My Atgames flashback unit recognizes the game, dumps it, but also only grants access to the mini game. I have a few other Genesis models I’m going to try out later to see how they react. But so far, all the HDMI options I’ve tried have been fruitless :(

Pretty sure it has been confirmed that the game was programmed to check for the clone console units and NOT work on anything but actual Genesis units. Although, I've read that the chinese clone system with HDMI out built in does apparently work. But I don't have anything other than actual Genesis systems to test myself.

When you got the mini "trolling" game, on those other consoles, you did remember to reset after it came up and played it a bit to make sure the actual game wouldn't come up? I can't recall if it has been confirmed but it was thought that because that mini game comes up on all consoles initially, that the game does some sort of format and setup to your hardware during the mini game process and that is why it always comes up first. Either that, or WM just wanted to troll you from the get go and then the game writes something into memory to know that the minigame has come come so it bypasses it in the future.

On 2/18/2021 at 5:07 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Pretty sure it has been confirmed that the game was programmed to check for the clone console units and NOT work on anything but actual Genesis units. Although, I've read that the chinese clone system with HDMI out built in does apparently work. But I don't have anything other than actual Genesis systems to test myself.

When you got the mini "trolling" game, on those other consoles, you did remember to reset after it came up and played it a bit to make sure the actual game wouldn't come up? I can't recall if it has been confirmed but it was thought that because that mini game comes up on all consoles initially, that the game does some sort of format and setup to your hardware during the mini game process and that is why it always comes up first. Either that, or WM just wanted to troll you from the get go and then the game writes something into memory to know that the minigame has come come so it bypasses it in the future.

Yes, the mini game is the only accessible part of Paprium on the flashback and Mega SG consoles, even after restarting the systems several times. Why Watermelon would program this irritating limitation into the game is beyond me. If I were running a game development company I would want people playing my games on as many platforms as possible. But apparently Fonzie’s sick hardware fetish isn’t going to let me enjoy this game the way I’d prefer: on a big flatscreen in glorious HD. Dammit!

His manifesto that came in the first releases of the game, I think even has some statement about the game only being to his vision when played on actual period hardware in RF and composite as I believe he even takes a jab at those of us with AV modded setups with RGB etc outputs. Which, is really odd since RGB was much more of a thing even back then in Europe and especially in France. 

But yes, he purposely coded the game to detect and not work on clone systems. But it is becoming more apparent that the issue with actual consoles seems to have more to do with the SegaCD detection routine and why some model 1 units have issues getting past the copyright screen. I haven't seen much more investigation into it than that.

18 hours ago, Tri said:

Just a heads up for those of us with a Mega Sg that there is a firmware update which adds support for Paprium.  

Mega Sg firmware

I can confirm this as I just downloaded the update from their website and the cartridge now boots up fine with no issues. It was incredibly satisfying to finally play this on my bigscreen in HD. So I send out a HUGE thank you to Kevtris and the fine folks at Analogue for making this possible!!!

My VA6 PAL without HD graphics (fully recapped and simply moded for NTSC 60Hz with switches) doesn't boot the game. Holding reset before turning on or after doesn't help.

Thankfuly with the MegaCD connected the game plays fine without glitches (been playing it on and on for hours two days now).

Just to mention that initially the game hang once but discovered the MegaCD was connected but was unpowered (the plug wasn't fully inserted on the mains) so I suppose it doesn't count.

Weird that the game booted without the MegaCD powered, I noticed something was wrong because the assisted CPU (MegaCD) wasn't recognised by the game. After powering the MegaCD everything was peachy.

Edited by gtsamour

54 minutes ago, gtsamour said:

Is this a bug with this particular throne or a compatibility issue?

I can't say as I've not gotten that far yet to unlock all the characters in the game. And I believe I only have one character that is throned.

BTW you likely should have marked this as a spoiler vid before posting it since you are showing additional characters that can be unlocked in the game.

42 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I can't say as I've not gotten that far yet to unlock all the characters in the game. And I believe I only have one character that is throned.

BTW you likely should have marked this as a spoiler vid before posting it since you are showing additional characters that can be unlocked in the game.

Maybe, but its all over the internet and youtube already.

I believe this must be a game gleech, this particular character with this particular throne.

Edited by gtsamour