IGNORED

Atari OS on other hardware

jhd

On 5/8/2021 at 11:17 AM, justclaws said:

All hail the HackAtariOS Atari VCS portable, for richer people (than me). ?

(Well, it's on IndieGogo right now - I thought in ETA Prime's video it's for sale.)
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/--191853/coming_soon

ETA-Prime shows it running Cyberpunk 2077, and various emulators, in this.

ONEXPLAYER?

They have no idea how to do anything!

It doesn't even have an Atari Logo anywhere!

Edited by toiletunes
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2021 at 12:17 PM, justclaws said:

All hail the HackAtariOS Atari VCS portable, for richer people (than me). ?

(Well, it's on IndieGogo right now - I thought in ETA Prime's video it's for sale.)
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/--191853/coming_soon

ETA-Prime shows it running Cyberpunk 2077, and various emulators, in this.

Hopefully no one here tries to back that, it screams IndieGoGo tech scam to me. I unfortunately fell for one of these in the form of an "all in one tablet PC" that was being promoted by Tom's Hardware on Facebook. Person simply took the money and bolted. Afterwards I learned this is very common and often involves too good to be true portable tech devices. I can't even figure out whether their claim to be a 2020 Innovation Award from Intel is legit. 

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

Hopefully no one here tries to back that, it screams IndieGoGo tech scam to me. I unfortunately fell for one of these in the form of an "all in one tablet PC" that was being promoted by Tom's Hardware on Facebook. Person simply took the money and bolted. Afterwards I learned this is very common and often involves too good to be true portable tech devices. I can't even figure out whether their claim to be a 2020 Innovation Award from Intel is legit. 

- I agree re: "too good to be true". It's the old adage, but absolutely true with any tech these days,
but as it was from ETA-Prime it seemed more legit. It's really shocking that these well-known review
sites though (I mean, Tom's Hardware) would promote a product without some sign of legitimacy. ?

I hope you didn't lose too much money on that tablet. I was also scammed on an Android tablet via
a well-known Ali-Express seller, which had specs almost 100% fake (it was a 10.1" tablet at least),
but in the end I got all but 30 EUR back. Returning something bought online to China is pointless.

I don't think anybody here really wants to make a fake Atari VCS portable anyway. I was joking.

45 minutes ago, justclaws said:

- I agree re: "too good to be true". It's the old adage, but absolutely true with any tech these days,
but as it was from ETA-Prime it seemed more legit. It's really shocking that these well-known review
sites though (I mean, Tom's Hardware) would promote a product without some sign of legitimacy. ?

I hope you didn't lose too much money on that tablet. I was also scammed on an Android tablet via
a well-known Ali-Express seller, which had specs almost 100% fake (it was a 10.1" tablet at least),
but in the end I got all but 30 EUR back. Returning something bought online to China is pointless.

I don't think anybody here really wants to make a fake Atari VCS portable anyway. I was joking.

Lost about $200, and I agree it make me entirely rethink the promoted ads I was seeing by Tom's Hardware and others.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

It certainly looks as though the company has a proven track record for this.
I'm not in the market for it, but if I had that cash for a handheld, I would be.

It's certainly interesting to see handheld PCs eating into the console market.
Now I'm almost certain in future somebody will turn a new VCS into a portable!

On 12/24/2020 at 10:14 AM, mr_me said:

The Atari OS is based on Debian; doesn't that mean it has to be open source.  The atari dashboard doesn't have to be open source.

It's actually based on Apertis https://www.apertis.org/

Which is based upon Debian.  But yes, if you request source code from them, they are required to give you access to any GPL'd software that they have used.

On 1/19/2021 at 2:51 AM, Wizzard said:

It is not about hacking. It does not need hacking, it just runs on other hardware. The dashboard app is the only thing that we need to access that store and to play those games. It still cannot run on common linux distro, AFAIK.

You can literally copy the contents of a game directory onto a Linux distro (I did this on my Debian Install to the m.2 drive) and play the games you bought in the Atari store.

On 12/28/2020 at 10:26 AM, Angrymoleratsbaggle said:

They didn't really do any optimization that I've seen.

Digging through the OS I've seen they rebranded a distro called Apertis.

https://apertis.org/

They have it configured to automatically start XWayland with Dashboard on boot.

They have several profile scripts setup so when you create a user account in Dashboard it will run the script to setup a profile in the OS for that user.

If you copy out the scripts to another Linux OS with their applications, and place them in the correct folder structure, you should be able to run Dashboard on there.

I tried running Dashboard on Slackware without the scripts.

The guest access worked, but it couldn't find the games I copied over.

It does load the AtariVCS store, and you can browse and watch videos, but without it creating the profile you can't sign in to download.

Also, the default button setup for the controllers in KDE didn't work right.

I ended up needing to use the joystick controller to press the menu button to get it to detect the controller, then swap to the gamepad for navigating.

The default controller setup detects the axis for the joystick wrong.

Does it really use Xwayland?  That seems rather useless (as XWayland is far from 100% compatible.)

On 5/10/2021 at 3:15 PM, justclaws said:

I get the perception that these review sites do whatever it takes to get readership. Discussing sensationalistic products is one way to do it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is practically my Atari VCS portable. ? I just got mine, and it's really handy that it performs just as a VCS.
The APU is very comparable to r1606g, despite having a Vega6, as the peak speed is a bit lower, but same RAM.

It's rather annoying that the HP BIOS does not allow any changes to GPU memory - it has 512MB allocated, but
when I run Windows 10, and the AMD tools, it shows reserved memory was changed to 1GB. Not so in Linux. ?

There were various models of this laptop, but mine was sold new at end of 2019. I paid 320 EUR, or about $390.
That's called a good deal here, after a lot of searching offers. It was originally sold by CoolBlue, and is near mint.

This is from when it was on the Walmart site.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-EliteBook-755-G5-Ryzen-3-2300U-2-GHz-Win-10-Pro-64-bit-8-GB-RAM-128-SSD-TLC-15-6-IPS-1920-x-1080-Full-HD-AMD-Radeon-Vega-Wi-Fi-5-NFC-Bluetooth-kbd/758712800

You scored a bargain there as EliteBooks are practically laptop royalty. Mine cost about $2000 when new; good job I wasn't picking up the tab for it. ?

I'd suggest opening it up and seeing what the RAM configuration is, as HP are notorious for shipping machines with just a single SODIMM inside, which will seriously hurt the performance of AMD APUs. If you can upgrade to 16GB of 3200MHz RAM in dual channel, a Ryzen 3 2300U should significantly outperform an R1606G. If you're really lucky someone might have already done it for you.

2 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

You scored a bargain there as EliteBooks are practically laptop royalty. Mine cost about $2000 when new; good job I wasn't picking up the tab for it. ?

I'd suggest opening it up and seeing what the RAM configuration is, as HP are notorious for shipping machines with just a single SODIMM inside, which will seriously hurt the performance of AMD APUs. If you can upgrade to 16GB of 3200MHz RAM in dual channel, a Ryzen 3 2300U should significantly outperform an R1606G. If you're really lucky someone might have already done it for you.

I looked at a LOT of 2nd-hand laptops before I found this one. I did indeed strike lucky. ? It's a seller's market!
I actually searched for some weeks, checking out lots of laptops, even new ones, and finding they came up short.
At the end of the day though, I had a modest budget, and managed to keep to it as well.

So lucky, with it, I found the slimline dock+PSU, for 5 EUR, while the same is selling new for well over a hundred. :-D
It's the luckiest find I've had in years. The 2nd-hand sellers who don't check what they have, are so few these days.

I already upgraded the RAM, to 16GB; I actually checked before I bought it on the RAM; indeed, HP put a single
8GB ODIMM in it, and I added a 2nd stick immediately. Upgrading it to dual-channel was definitely a priority, yes.
It will take 32GB, but I don't need it, realistically. I'd like it, but it wasn't in the budget. It's not cheap like in USA.

I also removed the 512GB M.2 I had in the VCS, and swapped it into the HP, which shipped with a measly 128GB.

I ran several benchmarks on the VCS, and the Elitebook, and they're extremely close. Sometimes the VCS higher,
sometimes the Elitebook. The 2300U is quad-core, but only 4 threads, but the VCS APU has a higher clock rate.
I'm running Ubuntu, and Windows 10 on it, and so I've been able to compare games, as well as benchmarks.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/4/2021 at 6:45 PM, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

It has been shown the AtariOS can be booted on hardware, images and videos have been shown it booting on laptops and desktops with various degrees of success, meaning issues with networking, sound etc, sound is sometimes fixed plugging in a USB audio device etc. ??more surprises, while the AtariOS USB stick I created worked on my desktop and a up laptop to various degrees it didn’t work on my old bedroom desktop, due to no no uefi boot options. I also imaged this Sata drive, plugged into 2011 MacBook Pro and held down option key when booting, displayed a drive called efi and it booted, Bluetooth even seems to be working though I have no Bluetooth controller, no network though I am sure it would be fine if I plugged in Ethernet. Figured would not hurt to try ?Nice use for the old recycle bin find MacBook! I had yet to see this done on Apple hardware so thought I would share.

77AAB2E9-E7EC-4861-85FE-404C84E53726.thumb.jpeg.aadeecd6fa01ab989f1da534fec55f9c.jpegFC3CA925-6F24-408C-9BEF-60C792106AC2.thumb.jpeg.dde12264d538b5299d27be8ee9319a48.jpeg

A842A91B-92F4-4EF6-8A7B-061DB8CEBCCC.thumb.jpeg.a7e2748e23df5c5126f0e1170569189a.jpeg

i too got this running on a mid-2012 macbook pro with I7 2.9ghz and 16GB or ram.. runs kinda sluggish. but the latest production image sound works and bluetooth but no wifi. Lan works

I also tried this on a HP X2 1013 G3 

16.00 GB ram and Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8350U CPU @ 1.70GHz runs way smoother but no wifi no bluetooth. i can play with my 8bitdo controller USB mode and plugged into lan.

everything works, store purchaces and game play as if i were on a actual Atari VCS

Edited by digitalbilly
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2022 at 12:00 AM, digitalbilly said:

i would love to see this and also if bluetooth works with the classic controler. this would be awesome!

someone needs to try atari vcs on the steam deck!!!

Hmm, I should see how hard it'd be to get it onto a microSD card and get it booted on the Steam Deck, could be a perfectly portable AtariVCS.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...