IGNORED

HSC17 Round 24: RIVER RAID COLD WINTER + Christmas Bonus Time

therealbountybob

If you thought we had played every Christmas Atari game, and I did, then fear not for trbb has discovered another one, ok it's a text adventure but we'll give it a bash! And as it's bl**dy freezing here in the UK at least, here's a couple of others to keep the joysticks from frosting over :-D

A Spell of Christmas Ice

zx Spectrum conversion

a_spell_of_christmas_ice.gif.3db5598b5d31fd64834a61c6a26bb080.gif

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-spell-of-christmas-ice-a_32428.htmlhg

River Raid - COLD WINTER

Given a 2020 makeover by our Check mates :o This "hack" by Matias Dimitrov Albarran should be the main game for the round.

river_raid_cold_winter.gif.72778a94ca6936658569e10b743c4635.gifriver_raid_cold_winter_2.gif.38b9cc1646e567e053937d1cb7020b95.gif

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-river-raid-cold-winter_37253.html

"Also includes tape images in PAL or NTSC format with fully playable game while the program loads."

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=7933

Winter Wally

And one from the punishment list for those who have been naughty this year!  (also relased as Dinky Do and Ice Capers....)

winter_wally_3.gif.9b448fa906047ff29c8d3f70e91612e6.gif

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-winter-wally_6577.html

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=3404

Merry Christmas EVERYONE :party:

Thanks to you all  for playing this season :thumbsup:

Round and Season 17 ends Sunday 3rd Jan 11am UK time

Edited by therealbountybob
Round and Season 17 ends Sunday 3rd Jan 11am UK time
  • Like 2

Some tips for Cold Winter (after taking a look... :-D) :

• For the score tables: it's recommended to use the bridge reached, instead of the game score.
  • If possible and being that it's a reaction game, play it in NTSC mode which is the base version. PAL differs from: it runs slower (5/6)*100% (it's easier for the player), different plane acceleration (both horizontal and vertical) noticeable with slower brakes (to increase difficulty), faster shot speed (cosmetic), and it has more levels with all enemies in movement (to increase difficulty). Still, both NTSC and PAL are very similar.
  • It has an ending for top players after the last bridge (as well as the Bold edition). Also: Homesoft has made a version that comes back after the ending screen (a hack of the hack).
  • Have fun.
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2020 at 10:29 PM, carlsson said:

River Raid Cold Winter - 12130 pts, bridge 8 (played on PAL)

A Spell of Christmas Ice - solved in 328 turns with the score "You're not wearing it"

Winter Wally - 100 pts (actually played Dinky-Do, because Winter Wally XEX would not load on my machine)

You did better than me carlsson, Santa remained in a block of ice... will crack him out next time!

Photo3295.jpg.ce4b2965bd4ea202576f8fba4d16f56a.jpg

Had a couple of warm up (that one's for you McKong :P ) goes on RR is always fun, noticed lots of planes on Bridge 3 and some of the other guys stop moving which is nice too. Greetings tane :thumbsup:

Photo3296.jpg.1dbf8d6ffa89ea5221734e339c622166.jpg

Luckily I couldn't find disk #122 which has Winter Wally on it!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, carlsson said:

Oh! I tried to address the cat in some way but didn't find how to interact with it. Apparently you were more creative than me in that respect. Note that the adventure game says it is targeted for kids and novice players.

consider me now a novice player as I've beaten the sucker (the offset text caused me to miss the other room) I thought there was a little more to do but it ended when it was just getting going :-o maybe there is more to do in the original game, the comments indicate it was not complete :ponder:

5 hours ago, McKong said:

RR 35510

This version is more difficult than the original. The plane doesn't slow down as much so it's less maneuverable 

:thumbsup: I was just going to post that having played again today; spent a lot more time going slower and the game is missing the rush as you swoop across under fuel pressure, but it's still fun. 54,510 (16) (I'm on a PAL system)

Photo3297.jpg.73c433d35cd0d235e68ef7f07550a800.jpgPhoto3298.jpg.27e1e06f13e9c3435e5bbd82f2d9507e.jpg

59 minutes ago, tane said:

That's good, the woodlands have been reached after the 2 big islands. Few more surprises in the next levels and almost to be completed at twilight.

?

• Like 1

might have another go on ASOCI and see if there is anything else you can do!

first tables

RIVER RAID COLD WINTER

1st   McKong                    120,000  12pts*
  2nd   therealbountybob        54,510  11pts
  3rd   tane                          51,510  10pts
  4th   Sikor                          31,300  9pts
  5th   carlsson                      12,130  8pts

*completed

A Spell of Christmas Ice

(1pt for playing, 2pts for completing)
  1st   carlsson                                2pts

2nd   therealbountybob                   2pts

Winter Wally
  1st   carlsson                      100     2pts

18 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

maybe there is more to do in the original game

I just downloaded the TZX for comparison. Except for sound effects (a BEEP for every command), some colours and custom characters such as Christmas trees, it appears the Atari conversion is the same as the ZX Spectrum one. Well, it was made in The Quill so unless the feature set was different in various implementations, it should play the same.

Out of competition, and possibly a few typos and mismovement, this adventure is solvable in about 35 turns or less.

christmas-ice-zx-37.png.08672caf5f878515428d063e3fe1c522.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

I just downloaded the TZX for comparison. Except for sound effects (a BEEP for every command), some colours and custom characters such as Christmas trees, it appears the Atari conversion is the same as the ZX Spectrum one. Well, it was made in The Quill so unless the feature set was different in various implementations, it should play the same.

Out of competition, and possibly a few typos and mismovement, this adventure is solvable in about 35 turns or less.

christmas-ice-zx-37.png.08672caf5f878515428d063e3fe1c522.png

Cool, I ported this Quill adventure years ago.
My laptop is not working now, so I hope I will review this game (among others) to fix any issue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

:thumbsup: had another plod and didn't discover anything else.

33 minutes ago, Sikor said:

vary small progress...

Me too, going slower and maximising my scoring but still being too careless! 57,640

Photo3299.jpg.76a4b11870f28136be89aae5c3aa5a67.jpg

Winter Wally is tricky - you can use select to pick any of the 9 caves, it will wrap around so start on any level.

@carlsson - Winter Wally didn't work (130XE) from mydos so used my old Transdisked version. There is an ATR version out there that will work.

Photo3301.jpg.8f5a5c7bbf69d8ec67be52c117b1bca5.jpg

• Like 1

Other than the title screen, is there any difference between Dinky-Do (never published), Ice Capers (DBM Software) and Winter Wally (Micro Design & Alternative Software)? I know that Software Projects published an unrelated C64 game called Dinky Doo, but then again that seems like a generic term so it probably has nothing to do with the different titles.

• Like 1

Dinky-Do: 1110 1940

I ran into the same problem with Winter Wally as the others - the .xex wouldn't load, but the file for Dinky-Do works fine.

DinkyDo01.thumb.png.94d7545c4b8bd5573ef15eb750dd867a.png

This one isn't too bad for a primitive platformer. Some of the levels are easy, some are ridiculously difficult. The score is also somewhat dependent on luck as sometimes treasures appear in a cavern, and sometimes they don't.

EDIT: I did a complete run of caverns 1-9 and started on the second cycle. The difficulty doesn't seem to increase but I always lose at least one life on the @#!$ second level where you have to cross the chasm on the... giant pair of underpants.

Edited by graywest
Updated score
  • Like 2