IGNORED

Any PS5 owners here yet?

Punisher5.0

On 12/25/2020 at 9:41 AM, Punisher5.0 said:

If so.....what model did you get and what are you playing?

I ended up with the Ps5 digital edition because all the scalpers out there, bought up the Bluray PS5 systems. ? I couldn’t pre-order the system I wanted because Sony - in all their infinite wisdom - forced people to buy online, and we all know how that turned out. ?

2 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

I ended up with the Ps5 digital edition because all the scalpers out there, bought up the Bluray PS5 systems. ? I couldn’t pre-order the system I wanted because Sony - in all their infinite wisdom - forced people to buy online, and we all know how that turned out. ?

I always wanted the digital edition myself,  but when I got lucky enough to land one online, it was the disc edition or nothing.    I don't think we've ever used the disc in it.

• Like 1

I got one back in October. I got the disc version with about 6 or 7 physical games brand new (most I had to find on eBay as I swear I have STILL yet to see most of the physical releases pushed out in any Walmart, BB, etc). Honestly, I got bored of the lack of compelling content and sold it. Was fun for a stint, and I know there are "outside circumstances" that lead to this, but this has to be the lamest PS launch window of releases I've ever seen. Makes the PS1 look like god tier level titles to choose from. I honestly was more hyped to buy more games during the Vita's launch, and that was a bomb, sales wise. 

Not trying to rain one anyone's parade btw, console wars are dumb, but this is just my opinion based on my tastes in games. I used the money to roll into building a more powerful PC and I've been having quite a bit more fun.

Edited by LIME LYSTA

5 hours ago, LIME LYSTA said:

I got one back in October. I got the disc version with about 6 or 7 physical games brand new (most I had to find on eBay as I swear I have STILL yet to see most of the physical releases pushed out in any Walmart, BB, etc). Honestly, I got bored of the lack of compelling content and sold it. Was fun for a stint, and I know there are "outside circumstances" that lead to this, but this has to be the lamest PS launch window of releases I've ever seen. Makes the PS1 look like god tier level titles to choose from. I honestly was more hyped to buy more games during the Vita's launch, and that was a bomb, sales wise. 

Not trying to rain one anyone's parade btw, console wars are dumb, but this is just my opinion based on my tastes in games. I used the money to roll into building a more powerful PC and I've been having quite a bit more fun.

Yeah, there's one game and one game only that I want on PS5.  I want to buy the console JUST to play GT7.  I have no interest on anything else on the platform currently.

1 hour ago, nadir said:

Yeah, there's one game and one game only that I want on PS5.  I want to buy the console JUST to play GT7.  I have no interest on anything else on the platform currently.

Yeah tha'ts the game I ultimately wanted, too. But with the delays I just got to a point where I didn't care to wait anymore. 

Got my PS5 in June '21 (actually I got two, for me and a friend - from a regular shop). Ratchet & Clank was pretty good and now it's finally time to play Horizon Forbidden West. I'm not far into it yet, but it looks so awesome and plays really well in 60 fps. ❤️ 

16 hours ago, zzip said:

I've been underwhelmed with the PS5 up until now, but with "Horizon Forbidden West" and "Elden Ring" releasing this week, it may finally be worth owning ?

Meh i think ill stick with my PS4 pro. You can get both of those games on PS4 and steam. There's nothing that really justifies the purchase of a PS5 for me yet.

Edited by Djmicklovin

I’ve had a PS5 disc edition since launch day so over a year now!. Its been sitting gathering dust untill recently only getting used every now and then. I was so hyped up for the console back in 2020 and then I got it and ended up not really liking it as much as I thought I would and went back to PC gaming. I’ve recently started playing the PS5 again though and I’m currently playing Gley Lancer, Cotton Reboot, G-Darius HD and will be picking up Horizon Forbidden West very soon. 

23 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

To each their own but 30 fps on modern screens is terrible. It's not even an option for me.

That's very odd to hear from someone on a retrogaming forum.  We were happy to get even 5 FPS back on some games back in the day.  :D  I really haven't noticed any issue specific to the modern screens with the low FPS.

24 minutes ago, nadir said:

That's very odd to hear from someone on a retrogaming forum.  We were happy to get even 5 FPS back on some games back in the day.  :D  I really haven't noticed any issue specific to the modern screens with the low FPS.

There is nothing odd about it at all. CRTs handle lower frame rates a lot better than modern screens. I almost envy that you can't tell a difference. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 2:08 AM, Djmicklovin said:

Meh i think ill stick with my PS4 pro. You can get both of those games on PS4 and steam. There's nothing that really justifies the purchase of a PS5 for me yet.

I skipped the Pro, so PS5 was the logical upgrade.   But yeah the fact that they are still releasing 'next gen' games on PS4 means the full power of the new console isn't yet being exploited.

22 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

There is nothing odd about it at all. CRTs handle lower frame rates a lot better than modern screens. I almost envy that you can't tell a difference. 

I can tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps games, but I don't understand why 30fps is a problem unless it's a really fast-paced game/ shooter.   For a lot of games I just don't see why 30 is an issue.

2 hours ago, zzip said:

I can tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps games, but I don't understand why 30fps is a problem unless it's a really fast-paced game/ shooter.   For a lot of games I just don't see why 30 is an issue.

I've stuck with the PS4 for Elden Ring and the games flaws aren't it's frame rate. 

Mate of mine who recommended Control to me, said it plays so much better at 60 fps on the PS5, i can appreciate how it'd be a lot smoother but my issue again with this on PS4 was the over familiar gameplay poor level design and utter tedium. 

I would of loved the faster loading times on PS5, but game would still of been the same disappointment at twice the frame rate. 

The 60 FPS for flagship PS5 titles seems to be a bit of a sticky wicket at the moment.. in order to get the most stable frame rate, sites are advising PS5 owners to play the PS4 version of Elden Ring on their PS5.. 

https://www.psu.com/news/elden-ring-offers-the-most-stable-frame-rate-when-running-ps4-version-on-ps5-via-b-c/

And Eurogamer recommending PS5 owners play Horizon Forbidden West in 30 FPS  for the best experience. 

It seems on open world PS5 games, if you want the increased environmental detail, better lighting, increases resolution etc, your going to have to sacrifice the frame rate.. 

Edited by Lostdragon

4 minutes ago, Lostdragon said:

It seems on open world PS5 games, if you want the increased environmental detail, better lighting, increases resolution etc, your going to have to sacrifice the frame rate.. 

This has always been the case.   Developers put the extra console power into improved visuals since that is what gets attention in trailers and screenshots.   Capping games at 30fps allows more detail than 60fps.

The From Software engines aren't the best, and they've always had frame-rate issues.   Remember all the Blighttown complaints in DS1?   Or the frame-pacing complaints in Bloodborne and DS3?   So I don't think Elden Ring @ 30fps is going to be an issue for me since I got through Bloodborne and DS3 at those framerates.

8 hours ago, zzip said:

I get bad nausea from the ghosting and jittery image. A game like Control, The Last of Us 2 or Uncharted 4 really shows it bad if you pan the camera around. I had to wait for patches on all those games.

15 hours ago, zzip said:

This has always been the case.   Developers put the extra console power into improved visuals since that is what gets attention in trailers and screenshots.   Capping games at 30fps allows more detail than 60fps.

The From Software engines aren't the best, and they've always had frame-rate issues.   Remember all the Blighttown complaints in DS1?   Or the frame-pacing complaints in Bloodborne and DS3?   So I don't think Elden Ring @ 30fps is going to be an issue for me since I got through Bloodborne and DS3 at those framerates.

I was going to mention Blighttown as a prime example of a game where I really felt the framerate had a detrimental effect on the game to the point of I  almost abandoned it. 

I also struggled through the likes of Perfect Dark (N64), Command And Conquer (PlayStation) and a few others where the framerate was reduced to a crawl. 

I'm not experiencing any such issues yet with Elden Ring, the improvements i would like to see are things like:not loosing weapon lock after an animation sequence where a heavy attack has driven a foe to the ground, the open world environment needs to be a lot more populates by foes and wildlife to make it feel truly alive, something even the high end versions can't over. 

@Punisher5.0

My friend had exactly the same issues with the camera panning on both Control and Uncharted 4 at 30 fps as you did and was very vocal about just what a difference playing in 60 fps made. 

But whilst he strongly disagreed with me over the story and gameplay of Control, he's a major fan, he gave up on The Last Of Us II, saying the story just bored him and he felt the game was going nowhere and to his surprise, on his now second playthrough of Uncharted 4,found himself joining my view of the game being a very weak instalment in the franchise. 

It's been very interesting hearing the experiences of PlayStation 5 owners, it's the first main Sony console i have never owned, didn't upgrade to the Pro model of the PlayStation 4 as wasn't interested in PS VR and so far on PlayStation 5 there's yet to be a must have exclusive for myself and the improvements to existing PS4 titles and differences in performance between flagship titles like Elden Ring and Horizon Forbidden West, haven't been large enough to make me feel i should of jumped ship. 

I've still far more titles yet to play on PS4 than i want to try on PS5, never been a huge Gran Turismo fan for example. 

I've found that going for resolution over performance makes games too jerky for my tastes as well.  The difference is certainly noticeable in HFW, where in resolution mode you can easily see frame skips when panning the camera around.  Though it's playable for me, moving to performance mode makes for such a better experience.

Of course in a game like Horizon, you'll be moving the camera a lot but the same jerkiness pops up even in a simpler game like Life Is Strange: True Colors.  While you can pan the camera, it's not an action-based game and there doesn't seem to be any reason it shouldn't run at native 4K at 60fps.  But it just gets too choppy in resolution mode and I had to switch back.

I'm still just using a 32" 720p TV for my modern gaming. My wife uses a larger 4k TV which looks nice, but it doesn't make much difference to me.

As I just mentioned in the Xbox S/X forum, on Presidents' Day I was able to order an Xbox Series X from Gamestop 8 hours after their email was sent so hopefully scalpers have slowed way down and we can successfully order PS5 bundles next time they get those in.

Someone on Facebook suggested that maybe the resellers don't want to do it anymore this year because they know they will have to pay taxes on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've hopefully finally secured a PS5 disc version from a seller on Facebook who accepted the proper PayPal Goods and Services payment method and they sent me a digital picture of their receipt from when they bought the console a week ago. It wasn't much of a markup at all considering tax and that I'm paying for priority mail tracked and insured. Wish me luck. I hope to start by buying exclusives like Ratchet & Clank and Demon's Souls remastered but won't buy those till it actually gets here. I also already have Far Cry 6 as the only "PS4 with auto-upgrade to PS5" title because my wife wanted it for PS4.

I'm not sure how long it'll be until I actually seriously get into gaming on the PS5 and Series X but at least now I'll be ready and my wife can play these as much as she wants in the meantime. She's the bigger current gen gamer between us. And my younger brother being a Ratchet & Clank fan but a minimalist when it comes to buying, owning and keeping things that take up space would probably love to come over and try the new game.

• Like 2