IGNORED

Any PS5 owners here yet?

Punisher5.0

3 hours ago, patroclus99 said:

I don't think many studios and publishers are going to wait for Sony to deal with its zzz...zz...z... production-problems on the PS5, and the number of exclusives for the PS5 since its "attempt" to debut are not impressive... not at the consoles current MSRP... plus the hurney-hurney markups by retailers and scalpers... if there's actually a difference between the two right now. Inflation will kill this thing before it even becomes a conversation-piece.

Studios/Publishers will continue to optimize games for the PS4, for them, that's where the market is; they're not going to make a lot of revenue making exclusives for a console most folks can't have, and consequently won't.

Studios/Publishers will also port titles to other consoles folks have... Xbox... Switch... and particularly PC... or vice-versa to PS4.  Microsoft's Game Pass is also an incredibly powerful inducement right now.

It also appears we're reaching that infinitesimal curve of diminishing returns with each new console release.

It's not a coincidence that most new titles can be played on a Xbox One/PS4.  So, we'll just stick with our PS4, we already have a WiiU.

Sony has sold over 20 million PS5's in a little over 1.5 years. They are doing just fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Sony has sold over 20 million PS5's in a little over 1.5 years. They are doing just fine. 

Oh, I was under the impression that many folks still couldn't acquire one. I believe there were as many PS4s, sold within the same time-duration when it was released, and there was certainly a high demand, but after 1.5 years it was relatively attainable at "asking"... except at Christmas or whatever.

On 7/22/2022 at 11:25 PM, Austin said:

Well.. I guess I'm on board the PS5 bandwagon now. Got word earlier that Best Buy received stock. Checked their website, added one to my cart, and sure enough I was able to pay for it. It'll be available to pick up locally next week.

I'm curious, have any of you had any issues with PS4 titles? Demon's Souls and Returnal aside, I'll probably still be rocking a lot of PS4 stuff for the time being. I've heard the backwards compatibility is spot on, but I'd be interested to hear of any quirks if there are any. Debating whether to keep or sell my PS4, so any feedback is welcome.

Playstation site only lists 6 PS4 games not compatible with PS5.   I thought this list used to be longer, but maybe others have been patched

Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One

Just Deal With It!

Robinson: The Journey

We Sing

Hitman Go: Definitive Edition

Shadwen

In addition here's a list of games that work with some reported issues.   These may or may not have been patched since the list was put together.

https://www.associatedgamer.com/guide-all-ps4-games-with-ps5-compatibility-issues/

Personally I haven't had issues with PS4 games running,  but something like Battlefront II where I got used to whatever the framerate the game runs on PS4,    PS5 gives you the choice to prioritize performance or visuals,  but both modes feel different due to framerate, and it affected my ability to aim quickly.   I assume this would affect other multiplayer shooters as well.   Something to get used to I guess.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, patroclus99 said:

Oh, I was under the impression that many folks still couldn't acquire one. I believe there were as many PS4s, sold within the same time-duration when it was released, and there was certainly a high demand, but after 1.5 years it was relatively attainable at "asking"... except at Christmas or whatever.

It's both,  they are selling like crazy yet they can't keep up with demand so it seems they are still hard to come by.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, patroclus99 said:

Yeah but the PS4 wasn't released during a pandemic. The world is unfortunately completely different from then. Im surprised they were able to sell many as they have with all the global wide material shortages.

Cool avatar btw. I love that movie

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Yeah but the PS4 wasn't released during a pandemic. The world is unfortunately completely different from then. Im surprised they were able to sell many as they have with all the global wide material shortages.

The really amazing part is PS5 sells for less than PC Video cards that are less capable than PS5 is.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 10:25 PM, Austin said:

Well.. I guess I'm on board the PS5 bandwagon now. Got word earlier that Best Buy received stock. Checked their website, added one to my cart, and sure enough I was able to pay for it. It'll be available to pick up locally next week.

I'm curious, have any of you had any issues with PS4 titles? Demon's Souls and Returnal aside, I'll probably still be rocking a lot of PS4 stuff for the time being. I've heard the backwards compatibility is spot on, but I'd be interested to hear of any quirks if there are any. Debating whether to keep or sell my PS4, so any feedback is welcome.

Congrats @Austin, you'll really enjoy it.  I can't really speak to PS4 game performance because I've been playing only PS5 games since acquiring mine.  I'm sure you know, but it's worth mentioning that you can keep PS4 games on an external (non-SSD) drive to save space for your PS5 games which must run from SSD.

As to whether or not to keep your PS4 - I would suggest you keep it, but there's no real need to.  If you have uploaded all your game saves to PSN, you can move it all over to the 5 and retire the old gal.  I figure most of us here are big on nostalgia so one day you may want to pull out the PS4 to play it but no real reason to do so.  I feel the same about PS1 and 2.  I still have my consoles, but if I'm going to play a PS1 or PS2 game I'll play it on my backwards-compatible PS3.  I plan to do the same years later when I get nostalgic for some PS4 goodness.  Right now, there are just too many great PS5 games that I'm not looking backwards.

...and there's lots of PS5 goodness to come.  Saints Row next month looks to be a blast and of course God of War Ragnarok will make us all cream our pants come November.

Edited by glazball
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, glazball said:

As to whether or not to keep your PS4 - I would suggest you keep it, but there's no real need to.  If you have uploaded all your game saves to PSN, you can move it all over to the 5 and retire the old gal.  I figure most of us here are big on nostalgia so one day you may want to pull out the PS4 to play it but no real reason to do so.  I feel the same about PS1 and 2.  I still have my consoles, but if I'm going to play a PS1 or PS2 game I'll play it on my backwards-compatible PS3.  I plan to do the same years later when I get nostalgic for some PS4 goodness.  Right now, there are just too many great PS5 games that I'm not looking backwards.

My brother's birthday is coming up next week so I think I've decided I am going to give the PS4 to him. He hasn't had a PlayStation system since the PS2 so he's missed out on a lot of Sony-exclusive games. I just need to wait until tomorrow to pick up the PS5 and put it through its paces over the weekend to make sure it's OK. Once I'm good with the PS5, it sounds like I won't need my PS4 anymore.

• Like 2

Sounds like a good plan.

While I spoke about some caution earlier, I'd say the chances of a problematic backwards compatibility game also being a game that you care about is extremely slim.

And in the highly unlikely event that you do notice serious issues in a PS4 game down the road that's caused by imperfect BC, chances are it's a game you can just grab off Steam or the Xbox store anyways if you miss playing it (Or if it's an Arcade Archives download, on your Switch).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

So far the PS5 has been great. Fast load times, slick interface, good PS4 backwards compatibility, and the Dual Sense is a nice upgrade from the Dual Shock 4. It seems like now is a good time to get into the platform as well, because I have been able to pick up some solid used titles for sub-$30 (with some even being as cheap as $15).

My only concern right now is, since I play a lot of oldschool titles (especially shoot 'em ups), once titles like that start releasing exclusively for the PS5, it seems like my existing arcade stick (the Hori RAP4 for PS3/PS4) will not work with them. PS4 accessories apparently only work on the PS5 with PS4 titles, unfortunately. I really don't want to invest in a modern PS5 stick, but I may eventually have to down the line.

*Edit: Mmmm, this one actually looks nicer than my RAP4, and it works with both PS4 and PS5 titles. Maybe I'll make the upgrade sooner rather than later and get rid of my PS4/PS3 version (I already have a modded Qanba stick I can use on my PS3, so missing that functionality on the updated stick isn't a big deal). Link - https://stores.horiusa.com/fighting-stick-for-playstation-5/

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 1:40 PM, Austin said:

I just need to wait until tomorrow to pick up the PS5 and put it through its paces over the weekend to make sure it's OK. Once I'm good with the PS5, it sounds like I won't need my PS4 anymore.

I've NEVER let a system go when "new gen" game along.  Until this gen  :)    I did what you did not only with PS5 but with Series X as well, and I could find no reason to keep my PS4 and XBox One X, so I let 'em go and haven't regretted it at all.

By coincidence, I've never sold anything to Gamestop until I sold those 2.   Thanks to a promotion they were having and a really helpful employee, I was able to get nearly what I paid for them when I bought them new.

7 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

I've NEVER let a system go when "new gen" game along.  Until this gen  :)    I did what you did not only with PS5 but with Series X as well, and I could find no reason to keep my PS4 and XBox One X, so I let 'em go and haven't regretted it at all.

By coincidence, I've never sold anything to Gamestop until I sold those 2.   Thanks to a promotion they were having and a really helpful employee, I was able to get nearly what I paid for them when I bought them new.

Yeah I am the same way. Generally there's something of value in the old hardware that's not carried forward and that makes it worth holding onto. For instance, I still have my Xbox 360 because there are a lot of games that aren't compatible on the One, including a bunch of my imported shmups. I still have my PS3 because the backwards compatibility on PS4 is nearly non-existent. However, going from Xbox One to Xbox Series X, or PS4 to PS5, outside of a small handful of incompatible titles (that I don't really care about), there's very little reason to keep the old systems. I parted with my original Xbox One when I got the One X, then let go of the One X when I got my Series console, and now I'm parting with my PS4 since I have a PS5. I love that I can effectively get a decent chunk of money back, as the new hardware is far from cheap.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 5:07 PM, Austin said:

and the Dual Sense is a nice upgrade from the Dual Shock 4.

Not sure about that.  It seems to be lower build quality,  my Dual Sense trigger springs broke and I've had to replace them, and the battery life is even worse than the DS4

14 hours ago, zzip said:

Not sure about that.  It seems to be lower build quality,  my Dual Sense trigger springs broke and I've had to replace them, and the battery life is even worse than the DS4

Even the best controllers break. It happens. Doing a quick search it doesn't seem your trigger issue is common. Like on the Switch, analog stick drift seems to be a larger issue, but it also seems like Sony may have already revised their controllers at least once to address this.

Regarding the charge, so far I'm experiencing the opposite with mine. Did a 10 hour playthrough of Demon's Souls yesterday and it made it all the way through (granted, I dimmed the light, disabled the speaker and vibration functionality). None of my PS4 controllers would ever last that long, heh.

7 hours ago, Austin said:

Even the best controllers break. It happens. Doing a quick search it doesn't seem your trigger issue is common. Like on the Switch, analog stick drift seems to be a larger issue, but it also seems like Sony may have already revised their controllers at least once to address this.

It is common,  I can easily find lots of posts about it and youtube vids on how to replace the springs (a pain in the ass, but cheap to do).    Sony knows they messed up because the new colored dualsense controllers have stronger springs

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2022/03/07/new-ps5-dualsense-controllers-have-upgraded-trigger-springs/

3 hours ago, zzip said:

It is common,  I can easily find lots of posts about it and youtube vids on how to replace the springs (a pain in the ass, but cheap to do).    Sony knows they messed up because the new colored dualsense controllers have stronger springs

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2022/03/07/new-ps5-dualsense-controllers-have-upgraded-trigger-springs/

Good to know. Well, if they fixed it, then good on them. Credit where credit’s due.

On 7/25/2022 at 9:09 AM, Punisher5.0 said:

Thanks!  Yeah, that makes sense.

I reckon I'll hold out for the "slim" version, heh; I have to admit, as someone else stated, the loading screen-duration in these highly instanced games can be annoying on the older system.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally got a PS5 today. I still can't believe they intentionally fucked up the confirm/cancel buttons, so now X is confirm and O is cancel, and I keep pressing the wrong buttons. This is super annoying, and I liked it more the way it's supposed to be, with O as confirm and X as cancel. but I'll probably get used to it eventually.

Of course, the first game I played on it was...

Kyuukyoku Tiger

Yep. Dude buys PS5, uses it to play 1987 arcade game.