IGNORED

is a CoCo1 upgradable?

hloberg

Haven't found a straight answer to this these yet but can a CoCo1 be upgraded with more memory - 16 to 64 like - and upgrade the ROM BASIC? can it's video be upgraded to composite? Is it able to use virtual drives? Also, are people selling what is needed currently to do all that?

15 minutes ago, brain said:

Short answer is absolutely YES.

Memory and BASIC have lots of links, so do a google search for those (there were lots of board revs, so it's tough to give general instructions here.

Composite is possible as well.  Ed Snider offers that kit (https://thezippsterzone.com/).  It does require ditching the RF box.

thanks. my confusions has been that articles have mixed the CoCo1 & 2 without really distinguishing much between the two what could be done where, so I have been uncertain. thanks for clearing it up a definitive, yes. I check out Ed Snider's site.

Hi , the coco1 has a empty rom socket so you can upgrade to extended color basic. Its a 24 pin rom ( eprom) but an adapter can be made for 28 pin eproms.

There is a disk drive emulator called coco sdc that runs games etc from sd card.

There is a vga board that be put in the video chip socket ,  upgrading to 64k ram is not too hard t

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 12/26/2020 at 8:33 AM, hloberg said:

Haven't found a straight answer to this these yet but can a CoCo1 be upgraded with more memory - 16 to 64 like - and upgrade the ROM BASIC? can it's video be upgraded to composite? Is it able to use virtual drives? Also, are people selling what is needed currently to do all that?

Depending on the MotherBoard Revision, it Simple to Very Invasive...

The Rev F Motherboards are the easiest...

The Rev C and Rev D require more work... 

This is a Photo of my 26-3001 with a rev D MotherBoard, it's 4KB: _DSC0832.jpg

• Like 1