IGNORED

Conversion of pictures to Intellivision background

Vincehood

Hello,

I would like to play with "converting" pictures into Intellivision backgrounds.

I am familiar with the last leg of the process (with IntyColor to generate the IntyBASIC code). But I would like to hear about your tools recommendations to:

- resize pictures

- adapt them to the Intellivision colour palette

- manual fixing

- convert to BMP

- (any other step)

My environment is Mac OS. 

If any tutorial exists, even better :)

Thanks!

I would use something like Photoshop for all those preliminary steps. Resizing is easy, then reduction to 16 colours. You need to make certain to not have more than 2 colours (fg/bg) per 8x8 cell (*) and not have more than 64 different 8x8 patterns in the entire image (**). The later can be tricky, but IntyColor will tell you about all the problems when you run it so you can save as BMP, test the converter, fix problems, resave, convert etc until you're happy. I'm sure most drawing programs can handle resizing, palette mode and hand editing. Turning on the grid at 8x8 pixel mode helps a lot as you get to see where each cell appears.

(*) Unless you overlay sprites to get more colour fidelity on selected cells.

(**) But sprites also count towards those 64 GRAM patterns.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

I use GIMP for all that.  It's open source, free, and rather powerful.  It also allows you to re-scale images without absolutely no interpolation filter, which essentially lets you blow up images while retaining their pixelation and color palette.  That's some if that Pixelmator (Mac) and Paint.Net (Windows) can't do, which are other graphics programs I use.

dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 2

Hello,

I was aware of Photoshop but GIMP looks indeed like a great open source alternative.

Any particular setting to use in GIMP when exporting to BMP? I tried to process a resulting image through Intycolor and get the error message: "Cannot handle compressed input files (codec 0x00000003)"

Thanks

/Vincent

1 minute ago, Vincehood said:

Hello,

I was aware of Photoshop but GIMP looks indeed like a great open source alternative.

Any particular setting to use in GIMP when exporting to BMP? I tried to process a resulting image through Intycolor and get the error message: "Cannot handle compressed input files (codec 0x00000003)"

Thanks

/Vincent

You select the menu File > Export As..., then either select "Windows BMP Image" as the file type, or use the default "By Extension," and give it the extension "BMP".

That should work.

-dZ.

Hmm ... I would imagine that it should just be without Run-Length Encoding.  Try with 24 bits, just in case -- I thought that was the maximum depth; but other than that, I don't know why it would fail, sorry.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

21 minutes ago, Vincehood said:

24 bits did not help. However when I open and re-save the generated 32 BMP with another editing tool such as Pixen or some online tool, it seems to work! 

Thanks

That's weird.  I've never had trouble opening GIMP-generated BMPs in Windows as any other file.  However, I do not use IntyColor, so I don't know what its limitations are regarding the format.

Good thing you got it working! :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 12:52 PM, Vincehood said:

Hello,

I would like to play with "converting" pictures into Intellivision backgrounds.

I am familiar with the last leg of the process (with IntyColor to generate the IntyBASIC code). But I would like to hear about your tools recommendations to:

- resize pictures

- adapt them to the Intellivision colour palette

- manual fixing

- convert to BMP

- (any other step)

My environment is Mac OS. 

If any tutorial exists, even better :)

Thanks!

I use Paint Shop Pro by Corel on Windows to images "generally" where I want them. When it comes to converting at the command line for sizing and color changing and conversion at any depth, my play is ImageMagick (https://imagemagick.org/script/download.php). It's been around for so long, most Bingle searches return the right set of command-switches to do whatever you want to do (it someone else has done it before).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retroillucid said:

Ah! 
I'm glad to hear that I'm inspiring others  :cool: 
But I think you should try another brick design, so your game will stand out from Sydney 

I will do so if I do a game! ?

This was a fast way to train on background design with some animated details (the torches).

I want to practice on scrolling next... need to read more about it, not sure if this aspect is covered in nanochess' book

• 1 month later...

@Vincehood

Nice job with learning and producing the images. I've had a desire to do the same. I started playing with it last week on Linux, with the gimp on images I created with a 16 color palette. Man, do I really appreciate how difficult it is to keep 2 colors in an 8x8 boundary and have a picture actually look pretty good.  I am having some issues with Intycolor thinking Im using too many cards and or colors on some pics.  Once I get something discernable I will certainly post here. 

Bravo to anyone here who understands the difficult work needed to make  simple backgrounds, let alone a game.
I am probably similar to others on here who have always yearned for creating an intellivision game, but never attempted. I'm going to start with "pretty pictures" to see what the end result could possibly be.

Good luck to those who try and thanks to those who have made games in ASM or IntyBasic.

On 2/24/2021 at 11:21 PM, masseo1 said:

@Vincehood

Nice job with learning and producing the images. I've had a desire to do the same. I started playing with it last week on Linux, with the gimp on images I created with a 16 color palette. Man, do I really appreciate how difficult it is to keep 2 colors in an 8x8 boundary and have a picture actually look pretty good.  I am having some issues with Intycolor thinking Im using too many cards and or colors on some pics.  Once I get something discernable I will certainly post here. 

Bravo to anyone here who understands the difficult work needed to make  simple backgrounds, let alone a game.
I am probably similar to others on here who have always yearned for creating an intellivision game, but never attempted. I'm going to start with "pretty pictures" to see what the end result could possibly be.

Good luck to those who try and thanks to those who have made games in ASM or IntyBasic.

Thanks, yes it takes indeed some patience to satisfy the 2 colours limit per 8x8 card. If some day, someone creates an FPGA Intellivision core, it would be fun if we could design games without this limit (while of course keeping a true Intellivision mode). On the other hand, it is a true factor of satisfaction once you finally manage to compile a good looking picture satisfying the constraint :)

Looks very nice. :)  Now you should work on the color boundaries between cards, to make it look more organic and less "tile-based."  :)

A few tricks I've used in the past:

• Reverse video
  • Aligning the elements in the picture so that the start at precise card boundaries.
  • Exploit color combinations that give the impression of depth.

Edited by DZ-Jay

4 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

Looks very nice. :)  Now you should work on the color boundaries between cards, to make it look more organic and less "tile-based."  :)

A few tricks I've used in the past:

• Reverse video
  • Aligning the elements in the picture so that the start at precise card boundaries.
  • Exploit color combinations that give the impression of depth.

Thanks! If you have any examples illustrating these patterns, it would be very interesting