IGNORED

VCS BIOS Related Discussions

andymanone

56 minutes ago, IndyJones1023 said:

I've seen different "celebrate" passwords online. Is it?

Atar!C3l3br8te$40Ye4rs$

Atar!C3l3brte$50Ye4rs$

Atar!C3l3br8$50Ye4rs$

The one that worked for me is:

Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$

I just verified that this is working on my up-to-date VCS.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, justclaws said:

Thanks for the tip, but this statement can be a bit misleading, as it does not apply for everybody.
I, and many others, have the 1.0.23 BIOS, and the "celebrates" password (out in the wild, listed above), works 100% with our VCS.

At the same time, a BIOS downgrade for some people with problems, for sure is a solution.
My conclusion on this is that (some of) the latest batch of VCS systems from the factory, come with a new password and latest BIOS.

Older systems, like mine, had an older BIOS originally, got the Atari "celebrates" password, and kept it with the 1.0.23 upgrade.
Presumably if the people who downgraded to get the known password, then upgrade, there would also be no change, after upgrade.

The 1.0.23 upgrade in itself does not reset the BIOS password, so that's the only explanation I can think of.
Presumably Atari don't know about the discrepancy from the factory, with some units, and that's why they keep giving the "celebrates"
password to user who ask. I think that is also what you say, in your explanation, but it's not 100% clear, so I am just confirming that.
(An Atari contact I made, also confirmed that there was no password change, as far as they are concerned.)

The 1.0.23 password that is on console that came off retails shelves doesn't work as it is different than the Celebrates password to being with.  Down flashing the BIOS will work every time because the Celebrates password is hard code into the 1.0.21 firmware that is in the image that is at the download link and replaces whatever password that Atari set on these retails consoles.  I have had about half a dozen people I have helped so far with this process and 100% success rate.  The only person who had issue was one who was using the December 2020 Recovery image (the other reason would be if they don't use keyboard & select the BIOS flash since this would flash the Atari OS).  If it isn't working the process isn't being followed correctly that I detailed in my post.  Anyone having issues can feel free to reach out to me and I will assist them on this.

1 hour ago, IndyJones1023 said:

Atar!C3l3br8te$40Ye4rs$

Atar!C3l3brte$50Ye4rs$

Atar!C3l3br8$50Ye4rs$

Also, even if a person follows the process correctly if they are using a incorrect password such at the 2 variants from the known good password it will seem to a person that the process isn't working.

52 minutes ago, stirrell said:

The one that worked for me is:

Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$

I just verified that this is working on my up-to-date VCS.

That is the correct password and the only one that will work with BIOS downgrade flash to 1.0.23

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, IndyJones1023 said:

Thanks to Tidus79001 I was able to change my BIOS password. But PC Mode does not work for me. Any tips?

Also, any BIOS settings I should change?

If you added more memory there might be timing changes you should make as well as changes the amount of shared memory

The memory settings that I adjusted are as shown in this video at the 08:09 - 09:32 mark.

A few safe & useful things I did following the steps in this video I have linked on this reply is as follows (the default settings in the BIOS are based on the stock 8 GB of DD4 2666 MHz memory so these should be adjusted to reflect the specs of the upgraded memory and allocate the additional memory to the GPU to optimize performance).

-------------------------------------------------

• Set the memory speed in the BIOS to ensure that clock on that is matches the rated speed for the memory (when I upgraded the memory in my Atari VCS put in 3200 MHz memory to replace the 2666 MHz stock RAM)
  • Allocate more system RAM as video memory (I increased the allocation to 4 GB since I have 32 GB installed in my Atari VCS and that will be a nice boost in games that use a lot of video memory and this is double the default 2 GB that was based on an Atari VCS with the stock 8 GB of memory).

*One other thing shown in the video was how to change the TDP from 35W to 54W but I did not set this on my Atari VCS since put any undue stress on the system and risk damaging or overheating it (for those who want to do this it is advised to replace the stock thermal pad with Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste to enhance the cooling as this has been shown to reduce temperatures on Atari VCS consoles where the owner did just that).
Edited by Tidus79001

2 hours ago, IndyJones1023 said:

Atar!C3l3br8te$40Ye4rs$

Atar!C3l3brte$50Ye4rs$

Atar!C3l3br8$50Ye4rs$

Do you know where you saw the wrong passwords? Maybe we can get them corrected, huh?
ALL those above are wrong, 1) have a typo, and 2) and 3) missing characters.

Atari support has replied to everybody who asked (that I heard of) with the correct password.
Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$

Thanks to Tidus for helping people out with a new idea for how to get people past the password.
(Personally, I'd advise against changing the password, because if a future upgrade requires access
to the BIOS itself, it will fail if the password has changed. Atari committed not to change it again.)

On 12/27/2021 at 11:28 AM, IndyJones1023 said:

But PC Mode does not work for me. Any tips?

Can you be more specific about what it's doing?

You should be able to boot a USB with alternate OS or liveUSB,  but if you did not disable secure boot inside your bios, you will only be able to boot signed OSes until you do

On 12/27/2021 at 11:28 AM, IndyJones1023 said:

Thanks to Tidus79001 I was able to change my BIOS password. But PC Mode does not work for me. Any tips?

Also, any BIOS settings I should change?

10 hours ago, zzip said:

Can you be more specific about what it's doing?

You should be able to boot a USB with alternate OS or liveUSB,  but if you did not disable secure boot inside your bios, you will only be able to boot signed OSes until you do

This is about Chrome OS. Indy started a new topic dedicated the issue he is having booting into it.

On 12/26/2021 at 9:24 PM, Nate P said:

The link here doesn't seem to be working anymore. It says the file doesn't exist. Is there an updated link for that version?

It's in the same folder, called "atari-flasher-ab-upgrade.img.gz". You'll need to extract it with 7-Zip or something similar first, then prepare the flash drive like the instructions.

On 12/26/2021 at 10:24 PM, Nate P said:

The link here doesn't seem to be working anymore. It says the file doesn't exist. Is there an updated link for that version?

@Nate P I tested the link just now and it is working.  Let me know if you are still having issues accessing the Atari OS Recovery image.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

Just wanted to say thanks to @Tidus79001 and @justclaws
I bought my VCS off eBay UK and the 'celebrates' password didn't work, downgraded the BIOS and the password works now.  Thanks.  ;-)

The Piano password didn’t work for me but this one did: Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$

Im surprised you had to roll back your firmware. 

19 hours ago, HyruleHotrod said:

I can’t get this password to work.  Can anyone confirm it works on bios 1.0.23???

Did some more reading (sorry).  Looks like the recommended thing is roll back to .21 where it sets the celebrate password.  Nothing else seems to work, so guess we will have to do that since I don’t know the version I started on.  I have the MicroCenter version, looks like they are typically a bit more problematic.  What a mess just to remove secure boot.

7 hours ago, HyruleHotrod said:

Did some more reading (sorry).  Looks like the recommended thing is roll back to .21 where it sets the celebrate password.  Nothing else seems to work, so guess we will have to do that since I don’t know the version I started on.  I have the MicroCenter version, looks like they are typically a bit more problematic.  What a mess just to remove secure boot.

I'm on BIOS 05.32.50

And used the password: Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$

2-D1-A8-F77-52-FB-46-A9-83-EB-BD784851-D

• Like 1

Hi there. I’m struggling with this; I’ve used the links on Google Docs to make a BIOS drive, plugged it in, followed the “flash BIOS” instructions, and can only get down to .23. Even with that, using the Celebrates password (with a lowercase L between the 3s, correct?), and I’m just unable to get in. Help?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for just joining into this conversation.    

I just got an update on my Atari VCS 800 and I've tried and tried to get into the BIOS Setup.  Has anyone been able to get into the BIOS Setup since the update?  If so what did you use?  

I am ready to sell this thing if I can't find other uses for it other the Atari VCS stuff (it was a gift, I didn't buy the unit).

This hardware in the VCS is quite wonky to other PC hardware afaict, or mine maybe a lemon.  I've tried all of these passwords and tried playing around with the spelling as someone on a recent reddit post indicated they were able to use the celebrate password by changing the I in "3l3" to a capitol "i" instead of lower case "l".  I did manage to install Peppermint 11 via an ssd  in an external enclosure that has a glitchy power connector (even though it was costly and highly rated).  The problem is, is that now it doesn't show up in the boot manager at all like it did initially.  When I first installed Peppermint via the external ssd, I updated and rebooted and it seemed to work ok.  I noticed getting into the uefi is not 100% all the time--it can be extremely temperamental.  You have to hold down ESC key until it shows up, but sometimes it does not and you just get a black screen (I'm guessing if I don't have a lemon, the uefi still needs further firmware updates despite the current one not being that old afaik).  PC mode option also never worked while in Atari OS even though Peppermint is efi capable and an efi partition was created during in install instructions.  I may update this later.  Wondering if factory reset will downgrade bios to the original to see if any password works.

Edited by Linux_Lover

4 hours ago, Linux_Lover said:

This hardware in the VCS is quite wonky to other PC hardware afaict, or mine maybe a lemon.  I've tried all of these passwords and tried playing around with the spelling as someone on a recent reddit post indicated they were able to use the celebrate password by changing the I in "3l3" to a capitol "i" instead of lower case "l".  I did manage to install Peppermint 11 via an ssd  in an external enclosure that has a glitchy power connector (even though it was costly and highly rated).  The problem is, is that now it doesn't show up in the boot manager at all like it did initially.  When I first installed Peppermint via the external ssd, I updated and rebooted and it seemed to work ok.  I noticed getting into the uefi is not 100% all the time--it can be extremely temperamental.  You have to hold down ESC key until it shows up, but sometimes it does not and you just get a black screen (I'm guessing if I don't have a lemon, the uefi still needs further firmware updates despite the current one not being that old afaik).  PC mode option also never worked while in Atari OS even though Peppermint is efi capable and an efi partition was created during in install instructions.  I may update this later.  Wondering if factory reset will downgrade bios to the original to see if any password works.

after the first major update the password became Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$

The original password was IVoidMyVCSWarrantyIn321Now

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Linux_Lover said:

There's a post a few pages back that has instructions on how to revert to an older bios firmware where the password works.