IGNORED

VCS BIOS Related Discussions

andymanone

There's a post a few pages back that has instructions on how to revert to an older bios firmware where the password works.

We should have a stickied post with all three of these passwords and instructions to revert because this question comes up a lot

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Linux_Lover said:

This hardware in the VCS is quite wonky to other PC hardware afaict, or mine maybe a lemon.  I've tried all of these passwords and tried playing around with the spelling as someone on a recent reddit post indicated they were able to use the celebrate password by changing the I in "3l3" to a capitol "i" instead of lower case "l".  I did manage to install Peppermint 11 via an ssd  in an external enclosure that has a glitchy power connector (even though it was costly and highly rated).  The problem is, is that now it doesn't show up in the boot manager at all like it did initially.  When I first installed Peppermint via the external ssd, I updated and rebooted and it seemed to work ok.  I noticed getting into the uefi is not 100% all the time--it can be extremely temperamental.  You have to hold down ESC key until it shows up, but sometimes it does not and you just get a black screen (I'm guessing if I don't have a lemon, the uefi still needs further firmware updates despite the current one not being that old afaik).  PC mode option also never worked while in Atari OS even though Peppermint is efi capable and an efi partition was created during in install instructions.  I may update this later.  Wondering if factory reset will downgrade bios to the original to see if any password works.

Out of all the Linux distributions out there, past and present, I don't know why people bother with 'based on Debian'.  When you can just use Debian...  the installer these days is great, and you pick which Desktop Environment you want.

Though your issue sounds more like a problematic ssd case?  I think when I got my drive I just installed it internally and it worked fine, you don't have to do the thing you do with Windows.

1 hour ago, Zoyx said:

There's a post a few pages back that has instructions on how to revert to an older bios firmware where the password works.

Atari sent me this last year.

Hello, 

There are two potential fixes to being stuck in an update loop.

1) Boot with a keyboard attached, holding down the ESC key. Go into boot manager. You will see three options. Select EFI Embedded MMC Device 1 (TA2932). The system will reboot.

2) If that does not work, you will need to manually flash the box with an OS image from a USB stick. It can take a bit of time to download and write the file to the USB drive but is otherwise a very straightforward process. Please follow the instructions in the Google Document inside this folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pgC39vlSaK-8am4cbGKLgQrnKILRU1iK?usp=sharing

One of these two solutions has worked for the majority of users who have run into this issue.

Kind regards,
Atari VCS Support

9 hours ago, leech said:

Out of all the Linux distributions out there, past and present, I don't know why people bother with 'based on Debian'.  When you can just use Debian...  the installer these days is great, and you pick which Desktop Environment you want.

Though your issue sounds more like a problematic ssd case?  I think when I got my drive I just installed it internally and it worked fine, you don't have to do the thing you do with Windows.

1. I am used to Peppermint and I like its look and utilize its ICE application.

2. It's not an ssd issue as I even cloned the SSD to another and didn't mention it for the sake of brevity.  I have done the same process time and time again on dozens of PC's w/o a hitch so I know for a fact the VCS is not that great along w/having read similar complaints on here and other postings elsewhere.  I am writing this from the very same SSD on a laptop so the VCS has issues if I can use the drive w/o event.

Edited by Linux_Lover

36 minutes ago, Linux_Lover said:

1. I am used to Peppermint and I like its look and utilize its ICE application.

2. It's not an ssd issue as I even cloned the SSD to another and didn't mention it for the sake of brevity.  I have done the same process time and time again on dozens of PC's w/o a hitch so I know for a fact the VCS is not that great along w/having read similar complaints on here and other postings elsewhere.  I am writing this from the very same SSD on a laptop so the VCS has issues if I can use the drive w/o event.

That's why I suggested you install it internally (assuming you got the right type).  I also believe the front USB port is where it tries to auto-boot?  Seems there was something about that.  Anyhow I'm running Debian on my VCS and it runs just fine.  I think I updated it to run Testing or Sid, I can't remember at the moment.  I as running it on a Samsung T1 USB drive until I got an m.2 SATA drive and installed it internally.

3 minutes ago, leech said:

That's why I suggested you install it internally (assuming you got the right type).  I also believe the front USB port is where it tries to auto-boot?  Seems there was something about that.  Anyhow I'm running Debian on my VCS and it runs just fine.  I think I updated it to run Testing or Sid, I can't remember at the moment.  I as running it on a Samsung T1 USB drive until I got an m.2 SATA drive and installed it internally.

I mentioned I was using an external enclosure.  I also tried taking it out of the enclosure and running via a sata to usb adaptor.  It shouldn't be a problem as some have indicated that is the method they used (and I don't yet want to open the VCS or add an M.2 internal at this time).  Even Atari itself has referenced running an OS externally as well.  I tried all ports but get same outcome.  Is it possible that even though I loaded PM 11 dvd onto the ssd in the external enclosure (and creating an efi it requests to create in the process) that the VCS is somehow corrupting the efi partition, thus not making it recognizable w/in the VCS?  Isn't the signed /secure boot stuff like a handshake of some sort that is very temperamental if not 100% what it was in the beginning if it indeed has become corrupted?  I seem to remember having a secure boot/uefi issues w/a Win 10 install quite some time ago that this scenario reminded me of.  I think I had resized partitions on that one and win 10 didn't like it iirc, but it's anecdotal at this point.  I have since submitted a support ticket that Atari can help me get to the bottom and I'll keep wrestling a little more to see if I can get it recognized again and maybe try some bootloader manager like reFind since Grub hasn't helped me so far.

22 hours ago, Linux_Lover said:

I mentioned I was using an external enclosure.  I also tried taking it out of the enclosure and running via a sata to usb adaptor.  It shouldn't be a problem as some have indicated that is the method they used (and I don't yet want to open the VCS or add an M.2 internal at this time).  Even Atari itself has referenced running an OS externally as well.  I tried all ports but get same outcome.  Is it possible that even though I loaded PM 11 dvd onto the ssd in the external enclosure (and creating an efi it requests to create in the process) that the VCS is somehow corrupting the efi partition, thus not making it recognizable w/in the VCS?  Isn't the signed /secure boot stuff like a handshake of some sort that is very temperamental if not 100% what it was in the beginning if it indeed has become corrupted?  I seem to remember having a secure boot/uefi issues w/a Win 10 install quite some time ago that this scenario reminded me of.  I think I had resized partitions on that one and win 10 didn't like it iirc, but it's anecdotal at this point.  I have since submitted a support ticket that Atari can help me get to the bottom and I'll keep wrestling a little more to see if I can get it recognized again and maybe try some bootloader manager like reFind since Grub hasn't helped me so far.

It for sure could be secure boot messing with it, which is another reason I haven't bothered with something beside Debian.  Does Peppermint use the Debian kernel?  If they don't support Secure Boot, that could be the root of the problem.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, 

With the Onyx all in bundle from Gamestop the piano and Celebrate codes are not valid. On the other hand I did not try to change the ...C3l3... by ...C3i3... as proposed above. I had not seen that possibility. So try first before you try the rest. So, I had to switch the bios and AtariOS back to VCS21 as mentioned earlier in the thread. I first tried to change just the bios, but then under AtariOS no way to get under my session. It no longer accepted my code with a token error message. So I also downgraded the Atari os. Then everything went to VCS24 following the update and I was able to change my password under the bios and reconnect to my session. I remind you if necessary that I already have a Walnut VCS from atarivcs.com and that with the latter I did not have the password problem. 

Edited by RadiATIon

So, I got all the "hard work" done with my Onyx today.  I removed the thermal pad and replaced it with some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound.  I upgraded to 16Gb 3200Mhz RAM and installed an M.2.  The RAM gave me a little bit of a hard time.  After installing it and putting it all back together, I got a running fan and a black screen. :( So, I had to take it apart again, reinstall the stock RAM, and then re-reinstall the new RAM to get it running.

Then I installed Windows, Steam and a few games.  I still have to roll back the BIOS so I can get into it and boost the RAM speed and the CPU.  I wish I could just click on "PC Mode" and have it automatically boot to the M.2.   For Atari to tout this as a console/PC hybrid, it should be easier to switch from one OS to the other, IMO.

Once I get done with the BIOS, I'm gonna put her through the paces and really see what she's capable of, but so far, I'm happy with the performance.

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 5

On 5/15/2022 at 11:58 PM, John_117755 said:

I am trying to get my Atari OS to a older version to does anyone know where I can get it and what the password would be for it? 

You need to follow this instructions. Firstly, from the menu select "BIOS Upgrade & Reset Settings (VCS23) and secondly, you need to reimage the AtariOS. 

Edited by RadiATIon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just got this to work.

Did the usb reflash.

When using RUFUS - got to the advanced drive properties and check the "List USB Hard Drives".

The google doc isn't specific about this. This makes the partition scheme MBR.

Rufus.thumb.jpg.0ca9985b85d4e71cd6b32ea1dd90c5de.jpg

• Like 1

Also, the password used the number 1 between the 3's. Not an L,l,I,i or ! justclaws is the one that worked.

Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$

On 12/27/2021 at 11:29 AM, justclaws said:

Do you know where you saw the wrong passwords? Maybe we can get them corrected, huh?
ALL those above are wrong, 1) have a typo, and 2) and 3) missing characters.

Atari support has replied to everybody who asked (that I heard of) with the correct password.
Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$

Thanks to Tidus for helping people out with a new idea for how to get people past the password.
(Personally, I'd advise against changing the password, because if a future upgrade requires access
to the BIOS itself, it will fail if the password has changed. Atari committed not to change it again.)

I have a question for anyone, once you downgrade the BIOS to 23 from the latest 24 and use the  Celebrate password and setup your BIOS, do you ever boot back into Atari and let it update the system including the BIOS?

If you do does it keep your setting you setup for RAM timing and other settings like wattage or does it replace it all to default again?

Can you ever get back into the Atari front end or is it off limits until the 24 password is revealed?

Thank you for your insight.!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, imstarryeyed said:

I have a question for anyone, once you downgrade the BIOS to 23 from the latest 24 and use the  Celebrate password and setup your BIOS, do you ever boot back into Atari and let it update the system including the BIOS?

If you do does it keep your setting you setup for RAM timing and other settings like wattage or does it replace it all to default again?

Can you ever get back into the Atari front end or is it off limits until the 24 password is revealed?

Is there a particular guide out there on what things to best change for Linux.  I am thinking a dual-boot AtariOS and Steam Deck style set up would be sweet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, imstarryeyed said:

My understanding is that after you downgrade and set the password, the system will update itself to the latest but keep the password.

I don't know if the update changes any bios settings,  but best thing is go into BIOS after the update and check.   Realistically you are probably going to want to do this password recovery step before upgrading the RAM.

6 minutes ago, zzip said:

My understanding is that after you downgrade and set the password, the system will update itself to the latest but keep the password.

I don't know if the update changes any bios settings,  but best thing is go into BIOS after the update and check.   Realistically you are probably going to want to do this password recovery step before upgrading the RAM.

That is correct!  I downgraded my system, used the celebrate password and made my changes (I turned the BIOS password off.)  When I booted back to the AtariOS side, it auto-updated everything to the latest and greatest.  I had to go back into the BIOS after that and did not need a password to get back in after the update.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

Gamestop VCS. Tried using the AtariCelebrates password and it's not working, which is super annoying.

Anyone know the password right before this one or what I should be doing/trying otherwise?

Thanks

I got mine from gamestop. You will probably have to downgrade the bios.

On 5/26/2022 at 12:02 AM, H454 said:

Also, the password used the number 1 between the 3's. Not an L,l,I,i or ! justclaws is the one that worked.

Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$

11 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

Gamestop VCS. Tried using the AtariCelebrates password and it's not working, which is super annoying.

Anyone know the password right before this one or what I should be doing/trying otherwise?

Thanks

You need to follow this instructions. Firstly, from the menu select "BIOS Upgrade & Reset Settings (VCS23) and secondly, you need to reimage the AtariOS.  After that you can use the Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$ password. 

Edited by RadiATIon

Thanks for the info everyone. Unfortunately I'll have to save this for another weekend when time permits. Question now is, every time it does an update automatically is it going to prevent from accessing the BIOS moving forward? Seems more of a hassle and annoyance than anything really. I suppose once you have things setup the way you want them it's whatever but still.

Companies love plugging holes that allow you to use your device how you want them.  Evercade had an update that blocks the only flash cart.  Atari may decide to bring back disabling the password for all units.

In other words, I hope someone is preserving the flash recovery that brings back the "Celebrate" password.  Don't count on it being around forever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

Companies love plugging holes that allow you to use your device how you want them.  Evercade had an update that blocks the only flash cart.  Atari may decide to bring back disabling the password for all units.

In other words, I hope someone is preserving the flash recovery that brings back the "Celebrate" password.  Don't count on it being around forever.

To be fair, they did not have to release the password in the first place.  They have the 'PC Mode' app that will boot from a USB drive, and if they wanted they could have forced everyone to have to use secure boot.  Give credit where it is due, the VCS is one of the few systems that are basically DRM Free and open for hacking.  The other consoles certainly are not, and they will get your account bamned pretty quickly.  Microsoft even killed off the potential that the developer mode had.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, leech said:

To be fair, they did not have to release the password in the first place.  They have the 'PC Mode' app that will boot from a USB drive, and if they wanted they could have forced everyone to have to use secure boot.  Give credit where it is due, the VCS is one of the few systems that are basically DRM Free and open for hacking.  The other consoles certainly are not, and they will get your account bamned pretty quickly.  Microsoft even killed off the potential that the developer mode had.

If we're really being fair, Atari themselves said that was one of the benefits of getting the VCS and was a selling point for the hackers in mind, so in all fairness... lol

• Thanks 1