IGNORED

VCS BIOS Related Discussions

andymanone

On 6/12/2022 at 12:29 AM, Clint Thompson said:

Gamestop VCS. Tried using the AtariCelebrates password and it's not working, which is super annoying.

Anyone know the password right before this one or what I should be doing/trying otherwise?

Thanks

There is a reset procedure.    It's posted in another thread, I'll see if I can find it.    Basically you download recovery media and put it on a flash drive and boot from it.   You then want to downgrade the BIOS and Atari OS.   This will cause it to set the Atari Celebrates password and reupgrade to the latest.

13 minutes ago, zzip said:

There is a reset procedure.    It's posted in another thread, I'll see if I can find it.    Basically you download recovery media and put it on a flash drive and boot from it.   You then want to downgrade the BIOS and Atari OS.   This will cause it to set the Atari Celebrates password and reupgrade to the latest.

The password just reminds me of how horrible fonts are, as C3l3br8te is not the same as C313br8te

18 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

Question now is, every time it does an update automatically is it going to prevent from accessing the BIOS moving forward? 

No once you do the manipulation you will keep access to the bios. There you have to do it because on the batch of Gamestop Onyx vcs the password is unknown. Once you did it, you can modify or cancel the password. 

17 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

If we're really being fair, Atari themselves said that was one of the benefits of getting the VCS and was a selling point for the hackers in mind, so in all fairness... lol

They just said you could dual boot, install Windows, Linux, etc.  They didn't say anything about being able to disable secure boot and tweak the BIOS settings.  It was rather amusing that the initial password was actually hacked.  They gave out the 50th year anniversary one.

20 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

Thanks for the info everyone. Unfortunately I'll have to save this for another weekend when time permits. Question now is, every time it does an update automatically is it going to prevent from accessing the BIOS moving forward? Seems more of a hassle and annoyance than anything really. I suppose once you have things setup the way you want them it's whatever but still.

No once you fix the password, it shouldn't revert.

The instructions for fixing the password can be found in the current thread,  post #347 on page 14

20 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

If we're really being fair, Atari themselves said that was one of the benefits of getting the VCS and was a selling point for the hackers in mind, so in all fairness... lol

Yeah it's a confusing message.   There are likely legal reasons for them to enable secureboot.   Also supposedly you can create your own keys and sign bootloaders with them so they are compatible with secureboot on your PC.   Finding clear instructions on how to do that isn't simple though, and turning off secureboot is the easier option.

Hello all-

I'm sorry to dig up a old thread but I just purchased a VCS and getting into it.  I bought it with a Kinhank USB game drive thinking it would be easy/kinda is but could use help.

I'm at the point where I flashed the firmware to turn off secure boot- it applied fine, I removed the password and changed the setting.  On boot of the Kinhank drive it starts Batocera then goes blank/that's it, if I boot into the Atari OS it starts to pull an update (4 updates to be exact) and applies them.  THe bato drive is fine on my old laptop, any suggestions I know I'm close and it feels like something stupid.

Appreciate this thread and various pw's/info- saved sooo much time!!  Hoping we can have a repeat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

In case people end up in this thread which is somewhat outdated: the current Atari VCS firmware doesn't seem to allow any of the known supervisor passwords. Jumping the BIOS chip still worked for me, but if you ask Atari support for the BIOS password they'll have you reflash the BIOS to a prior update which is way more convenient. Their response to me:

Some users have reported not being able to use the password and flashing the OS has fixed the issue, to try this, please follow the next steps.

It can take a bit of time to download and write the file to the USB drive but is otherwise a very straightforward process. Please follow the instructions in the Google Document inside this folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pgC39vlSaK-8am4cbGKLgQrnKILRU1iK?usp=sharing
The file listed as "atari-flasher" is the OS image, just right-click it and hit download, then follow the steps in the document to flash the VCS.

Once done, use the password:

Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$

Once the password is accepted please make sure to change the administrator password to one you can remember easily or leave blank to completely remove it.

Kind regards,
Atari Support

It worked just fine for me.

On 6/16/2022 at 5:33 PM, DCX_PIG73 said:

Hello all-

I'm sorry to dig up a old thread but I just purchased a VCS and getting into it.  I bought it with a Kinhank USB game drive thinking it would be easy/kinda is but could use help.

I'm at the point where I flashed the firmware to turn off secure boot- it applied fine, I removed the password and changed the setting.  On boot of the Kinhank drive it starts Batocera then goes blank/that's it, if I boot into the Atari OS it starts to pull an update (4 updates to be exact) and applies them.  THe bato drive is fine on my old laptop, any suggestions I know I'm close and it feels like something stupid.

Appreciate this thread and various pw's/info- saved sooo much time!!  Hoping we can have a repeat

I don't know if this will help, but I made a Batocera image,  booted it on my VCS successfully,   but then tried booting it on my main PC and nothing...    I  wonder if Batocera configures itself to the first PC you plug it into?

59 minutes ago, zzip said:

I don't know if this will help, but I made a Batocera image,  booted it on my VCS successfully,   but then tried booting it on my main PC and nothing...    I  wonder if Batocera configures itself to the first PC you plug it into?

There are pieces that sometimes get installed int to UEFI bits.  So you would want to boot from a liveUSB and use the procedures to recover the boot.

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, leech said:

Is there a new password?  Mine is up to date, and I think that password still works fine.  Though I haven't tried it in a while.

If there was a new password, the BIOS updates should have repaced the "atari celebrates" one on everybody's system.    This seems more like something went wrong with the flashing process in manufacturing.

1 hour ago, zzip said:

If there was a new password, the BIOS updates should have repaced the "atari celebrates" one on everybody's system.    This seems more like something went wrong with the flashing process in manufacturing.

That'd be my guess as well.  I wonder when my second one is going to show up, and if I'll have any issues with that one.

On 12/16/2022 at 10:04 PM, zzip said:

This seems more like something went wrong with the flashing process in manufacturing.

Well that would be more the annoying. Currently I try to downgrade my BIOS and even that isn't working as as expected. Of course that the password contains special characters which might be different depending on keyboard layout doesn't help. Can anyone be so kind as to post the keystrokes needed to type the password? Like using 'Shift-1' instead of '!'.

Finally got into the BIOS.

Hint: The Password needs to be typed in with US American keyboard layout. If you, like me, are used to another keyboard layout the password is full of traps. I needed ≈8 attempts and 3 reboots to get everything right. Double and triple check with a USA  keyboard layout at hand. Just knowing that it's a USA keyboard doesn't mean you won't still subconsciously make mistakes.

• Like 1

With the news of the VCS manufacturing being discontinued, I have yet to upgrade and use my VCS due to the BIOS password.

I know of the two, and apparently the only way to install W10 is to get into BIOS to change UEFI settings so that it's legacy but I can't do this without the password.

Are there any others aside from Atari Celebrate and Piano? Neither worked for me.

4 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

With the news of the VCS manufacturing being discontinued, I have yet to upgrade and use my VCS due to the BIOS password.

I know of the two, and apparently the only way to install W10 is to get into BIOS to change UEFI settings so that it's legacy but I can't do this without the password.

Are there any others aside from Atari Celebrate and Piano? Neither worked for me.

Those are the only two I have heard of.  Where was it announced that they are discontinuing manufacturing?

13 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

If Atari Celebrate doesn't work, you should probably go through the flashing process, that's documented in these boards.    It will downgrade your BIOS/OS,  set the correct (Celebrate) password and apply the latest updates.

9 hours ago, leech said:

Those are the only two I have heard of.  Where was it announced that they are discontinuing manufacturing?

The Atari person here says it's because they have enough stock for now.   The press of course is doom and gloom about it