IGNORED

One On One Basketball - Title Fix hack

RevEng

Hi Mike - 

I posted this tonight in the Concerto Firmware thread, but this hack doesn't play on my (NTSC) system. After loading, the title screen is a scrambled mess - colored lines on a white background. This is on my A1 serial number daily-driver which I have modded with a UAV but no other changes. I haven't test swapped in my totally stock AT-84 system to try it out yet. I will do that tomorrow and report if the results are different.

On 1/10/2021 at 8:59 PM, phattyboombatty said:

[...]

When loading this on my CC2, I'm noticing missing button functionality. Neither button begins game play, nor do the buttons engage action(s) during game play. The buttons DO work to select from the menu however.

[...]

I'm still looking at this, but it may take a bit longer than expected. There's something in the way the CC2 leaves the state that's messing it up, but I'm not yet sure what. I've set the RIOT port back to what should be the default state. This is good enough for Concerto, but not CC2. Very strange.

If I can't figure it out soon, I may punt and just wait for the next Concerto firmware that has it's own port reset. That would allow me to remove my added bit of port reset in the game, which will hopefully keep CC2 happy. 

18 hours ago, Philsan said:

Hi Mike!

Could you please make a PAL version?

Thank you.

For sure, will do. That's next on the list, after I figure out the weirdness causing the joystick init compatibility, so I don't need to duplicate fixes to multiple bins. I would have released a PAL hack before, but I actually didn't realise that One On One had a PAL release. :dunce:

15 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Hi Mike - 

I posted this tonight in the Concerto Firmware thread, but this hack doesn't play on my (NTSC) system. After loading, the title screen is a scrambled mess - colored lines on a white background. This is on my A1 serial number daily-driver which I have modded with a UAV but no other changes. I haven't test swapped in my totally stock AT-84 system to try it out yet. I will do that tomorrow and report if the results are different.

It's running fine on my Concerto, along with John Stamos Mullet's Concerto, so I think this is one of the console-specific Concerto glitches. I really don't do much more to the game than change the start vector to small routine I stashed in an unused section of the rom. If the original One On One works on your Concerto, then it's possible this area I'm using is still corrupted on load, but it doesn't matter since it's unused.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RevEng said:

If the original One On One works on your Concerto, then it's possible this area I'm using is still corrupted on load, but it doesn't matter since it's unused.

The original loads, but like Philsan's comment in the Concerto Firmware thread, the fire button works in the menu but not in the game to shoot the ball. His experience is with a PAL system but mine is NTSC. Anyway, this is what your title-fix hack looks like after loading; some of those corrupted graphics seem to color cycle or change a little bit - when I press a controller button they freeze for as long as I hold the button.

The 7800 Utility Cart gives a clean PASS to all internal RAM, the Cart RAM test shows a green bar, and all segments of the Cart Integrity Test come back clean. Other than the Memory Explorer (which I don't know how to interpret), everything looks good. 

IMG_5894.JPG

EDIT: The same file worked right off the bat on my stock AT-84 machine (and the buttons work in-game too, which the retail release does not). After trying it in that machine, I swapped my A1 machine back in and this time IT loaded up fine. The first time. The next 2 - 3 times I got the same corruption. So there's some kind of edge-case happening to cause corruption during load on this particular machine, at least some of the time. I might try a second SD card just for one with this one file. 

Just to be 100% clear, the only version of this fix/hack is the one from the first post, correct? I didn't miss an update to that 12/29 file somewhere, did I? :)

EDIT #2: I turned off my 7800 and pulled the SD card from my Concerto. I deleted the copy of the hack/fix on my card, downloaded a new copy from this thread, copied it to the card and it loaded up perfectly. Then I power cycled the 7800 and tried again - worked perfectly a second time. It then failed to load 4 times straight. I then power-cycled the machine, tried out Bob's new Galaxian WIP, then the 101 Sprite Demo for 7800 BASIC, both of which loaded up fine. I then tried this file again and it loaded up fine. Weirdness for sure. 

9 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Just to be 100% clear, the only version of this fix/hack is the one from the first post, correct? I didn't miss an update to that 12/29 file somewhere, did I? :)

Yes, there's just the one version right now.

Your edge case may be with 48k roms, like One On One... you might give Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, Hat Trick, and Mario Bros a check to see if any of those fail. (I won't add insult to injury by suggesting to try Karateka)

Those all loaded fine during my initial tests with the Concerto using both my systems, though Hat Trick is just like the retail version of One on One in that the controller fire button isn’t recognized once playing a game. And hoo boy - Karateka is a terrible port. I thought I was having problems playing it from the Concerto but nope, my original cart is identically terrible. ? I can repeat my tests with those roms and carts later though to be sure there aren’t subtle or random problems. 

• Like 1