IGNORED

Stuck directional button... looking for reassurance...

Thelonius

Hey, apologies in advance for what I know is a semi-dumb question, but I'm trying to sell off a Lynx II for a buddy and it's got a stuck button.

Am I right in thinking that the most likely fix is to just to take it apart, swab the flex membrane with some isopropyl alcohol and then put it back together? Are there any other parts usually involved? Is it possible to just spritz electronic contact cleaner in the directional button area without taking things apart?

If I need another membrane, it seems like Best would be the source... are those tough to install? (I'm semi-decent with a soldering iron.)

Thanks in advance for advice.

1 hour ago, Thelonius said:

Hey, apologies in advance for what I know is a semi-dumb question, but I'm trying to sell off a Lynx II for a buddy and it's got a stuck button.

Am I right in thinking that the most likely fix is to just to take it apart, swab the flex membrane with some isopropyl alcohol and then put it back together? Are there any other parts usually involved? Is it possible to just spritz electronic contact cleaner in the directional button area without taking things apart?

If I need another membrane, it seems like Best would be the source... are those tough to install? (I'm semi-decent with a soldering iron.)

Thanks in advance for advice.

A stuck button means that it provides 5V all the time. So it is most likely a misaligned ribbon cable or a short somewhere.

It could also be that the plastic button is mechanically stuck. Perhaps the cover presses the button all the time?

• Like 1

I actually had a lynx model 2 that had an issue with Right always registering. When I opened it up, I found that the actual rubber around the carbon dot contact pad for the right side had basically torn and wasn't springing the button off the bad properly. So the carbon pad was constantly touching causing the issue. I had some spares on hand and replaced the entire d-pad rubber contact pad to correct the issue.

A different Lynx II I worked on had an issue with the Left direction being difficult to engage. That was an odd one and eventually the issue was that the d-pad had to be installed with one side a certain way in order for the directions to all work correctly. As a result of that, I've started to make the top direction on each d-pad prior to removal so I know exactly how it was installed when I have to put back in place from cleaning, installing an LCD upgrade...etc.

• Like 2