IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2021 (Season 14)

carlsson

20 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

Sonic 3

There's actually a decently interesting reason to play regular Sonic 3 instead of & Knuckles. Some of the level layouts are slightly different, especially in Launch Base and Hydrocity Act 2, which are both noticeably more difficult than they are in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, some of the music is different, like Knuckles' theme, and there are a few interesting glitches that can only be done in Sonic 3, not in Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

• Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 08, running from February 22 - 28. We logged 3585 minutes of eligible play, playing 51 games on a total of 16 systems.

Top 10:

1. Lunar: Eternal Blue (Sega CD) - 1075 min.
2. Sonic 3 & Knuckles [aka Complete Version] (Genesis) - 536 min.
3. Wings (Amiga) - 228 min.
4. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 200 min. (#5)
5. Sydney Hunter and the Sacred Tribe (ColecoVision) - 199 min.
6. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 145 min.
7. Super Cars II (Amiga) - 115 min.
8. Super Cars (Amiga) - 112 min.
9. Midnight Mutants (Atari 7800) - 66 min.
10. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 62 min.
10. Pooyan (Atari 2600) - 62 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 200 min. (PN#1)
2. Sydney Hunter and the Sacred Tribe (ColecoVision) - 199 min.
3. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 145 min. (PN#4)
4. Midnight Mutants (Atari 7800) - 66 min.
5. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 62 min. (PN#7)
6. Pooyan (Atari 2600) - 62 min.
7. Qix 5200 (Atari 8-bit) - 51 min. (PN#4)
8. Circus Atari (Atari 2600) - 48 min. (PN#9)
9. Subterranea (Atari 2600) - 44 min.
10. Strategy X (Atari 2600) - 42 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Sega CD (1075) (#1)
2. Atari 2600 (664) (#4)
3. Genesis (629) (#5)
4. Amiga (484)
5. ColecoVision (199) (#7)
6. Atari 7800 (167) (#10)
7. NES/Famicom (122)
8. Atari 8-bit (61) (#8)
9. Neo Geo CD (45)
10. Arcade (32) (#6)

Another of the Lunar games on Sega CD makes its debut in the tracker and immediately wins this week. The top list is a bit unusual this week as the only post-NES entries are two games for different Sega consoles and three Amiga games. The pre-NES list is more familiar with Solar Fox an entire minute ahead of Sydney Hunter and the Sacred Tribe. Systems wise the Sega CD still is #1, with a close battle between the Atari 2600 and Genesis for second place.

3585-games.png.3730a93e30767a71c803f1f7d2914f2d.png

There are two new members to the 1000 Minute Club:

#436 Lunar: Eternal Blue (Sega CD) - 1075 min.

#437 Wings (Amiga) - 1056 min.

It means so far this year, the 1000 Minute Club has been extended by one game each for the Amiga (total 2), Arcade (28), Atari 2600 (83), ColecoVision (6), Dreamcast (10) and Game Boy (13), and two games each for the PlayStation (39), Sega CD (6) and Sega Saturn (7).

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 2/28/2021 at 7:41 PM, Atarian7 said:

Strategy X - 10 minutes  (Started to get the hang of this one but started playing too late.)

This looks like a fun game. It kind of reminds me a little bit of Ikari Warriors for the NES when you get the tank.

On 2/28/2021 at 10:35 PM, agb said:

NES Tetris 41 Minutes

Nice to see you playing some NES this past week, especially one of my favorite puzzle games.

On 3/1/2021 at 10:42 AM, thegoldenband said:

Midnight Mutants

This looks like a fun horror game to play. I like the different quotes at the top of the screen, and the vampire cutscene guy reminds me of Grandpa Munster.

On 3/1/2021 at 4:02 AM, twoquickcapri said:

Neo Drift Out  - 45 min.

After looking at a video of this game, it looks like a very interesting take for a racing game. I don't know if I've ever seen a camera view like that one for a car game.

On 3/1/2021 at 10:05 AM, digdugnate said:

Battle Circuit - 27 minutes

I have never heard of this game or have seen in it the arcade, but it does look like a really fun beatem up to play. The only arcade games I have are Arcade collections on various console systems. One game that I really would like to try to play again in my life is The Simpsons Arcade Game because I remember that being allot of fun to play when I was a kid.

On 3/1/2021 at 1:15 PM, wongojack said:

Atari 2600 

Hellway 2

Montezuma's Revenge 16

Colecovision 

Sydney Hunter Sacred Tribe 199 

These all look like fun games. Hellway kind of reminds me of Spy Hunter without guns and with allot of traffic. It looks like a really good game and challenging as well.

I can understand how you related Sydney Hunter Sacred Tribe to Montezuma's Revenge. They both look like they have a similar type of layout, and I am going to try Montezuma's Revenge because I have that game.

On 3/2/2021 at 12:51 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

There's actually a decently interesting reason to play regular Sonic 3 instead of & Knuckles. Some of the level layouts are slightly different, especially in Launch Base and Hydrocity Act 2, which are both noticeably more difficult than they are in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, some of the music is different, like Knuckles' theme, and there are a few interesting glitches that can only be done in Sonic 3, not in Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

It is funny because I didn't even know there were two different versions of this game. It is really interesting to know that some of the level layouts and music are different between Sonic 3 and Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Thank you for that information, and hopefully I can finish Sonic 3 in the near future.

On 2/28/2021 at 2:55 PM, carlsson said:

I was able to offer him a RCA to coax (Belling-Lee) adapter and furthermore he happened to live in the same city as me so instead of sending it by post that would arrive next week, we met up on Friday evening (totally against Covid-19 guidelines but sometimes video games are more important than a pandemic) to test his console and games. With the right adapter and a cable, it booted on first attempt and so did the handful games we tried.

That is a really cool story about how you helped out this person, and that was really nice of you to do so. Thank you as always for taking the time to add up the minutes for the week, I really do appreciate it.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

It is funny because I didn't even know there were two different versions of this game. It is really interesting to know that some of the level layouts and music are different between Sonic 3 and Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Thank you for that information, and hopefully I can finish Sonic 3 in the near future.

There is that ultra tasty ROM hack Sonic 3 Complete, which lets you have everything from Sonic 3 while still allowing you to play Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It fixes a few things that I wish it didn't fix, like how it removed the ability to get Knux into Sonic's Ice Cap Zone Act 2 and the other glitches associated with that oversight, but overall, it's generally the best version of the game that can run on the Mega Genesis Drive. You can set the music to use either the Sonic 3 music or the Sonic & Knuckles music, you can put Flying Battery where it's supposed to be, you can use the horrible music from the PC version if you want (you don't), you can use the Sonic 3 level designs, you can re-enable the original Sonic 3 final boss that got removed from the Sonic/Tails part in 3&K and given only to Knuckles, you can change how Super/Hyper forms activate, you can play regular Sonic 3 or regular Sonic & Knuckles, and it has a ridiculous amount of changes. The list is WAY too long to list here.

There is also a customizer thingy on the Sonic 3 Complete website that lets you change even more stuff and generate a custom ROM of the game with whatever options you selected, so you can do stuff like use the horrible Sonic 1 physics or completely remove the spin dash if you want.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

I have never heard of this game or have seen in it the arcade, but it does look like a really fun beatem up to play. The only arcade games I have are Arcade collections on various console systems. One game that I really would like to try to play again in my life is The Simpsons Arcade Game because I remember that being allot of fun to play when I was a kid.

Here's the wiki on Battle Circuit if you'd like a summary- it's one of the Capcom beat-em-ups, like Final Fight.  It's weiiiiiird but fun.  :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Circuit

• Like 2

On 3/4/2021 at 5:32 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

There is that ultra tasty ROM hack Sonic 3 Complete, which lets you have everything from Sonic 3 while still allowing you to play Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It fixes a few things that I wish it didn't fix, like how it removed the ability to get Knux into Sonic's Ice Cap Zone Act 2 and the other glitches associated with that oversight, but overall, it's generally the best version of the game that can run on the Mega Genesis Drive. You can set the music to use either the Sonic 3 music or the Sonic & Knuckles music, you can put Flying Battery where it's supposed to be, you can use the horrible music from the PC version if you want (you don't), you can use the Sonic 3 level designs, you can re-enable the original Sonic 3 final boss that got removed from the Sonic/Tails part in 3&K and given only to Knuckles, you can change how Super/Hyper forms activate, you can play regular Sonic 3 or regular Sonic & Knuckles, and it has a ridiculous amount of changes. The list is WAY too long to list here.

There is also a customizer thingy on the Sonic 3 Complete website that lets you change even more stuff and generate a custom ROM of the game with whatever options you selected, so you can do stuff like use the horrible Sonic 1 physics or completely remove the spin dash if you want.

Its funny because the only real rom hacks I have really attained are for the NES, and I feel like it would be fun to try and play hacks for good games on other systems as well. That is some really interesting information pertaining to the Sonic 3 Hack and all the different things that were changed in the game. I really like that there is an ability to customize the game to your own liking. That is something I have become interested in over the last couple of years but have never pursued. One of these days I am going to take one of my favorite games for the NES, and try to change some of the sprites to things that make the game more personalized to me.

On 3/4/2021 at 11:45 AM, digdugnate said:

Here's the wiki on Battle Circuit if you'd like a summary- it's one of the Capcom beat-em-ups, like Final Fight.  It's weiiiiiird but fun.  :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Circuit

That is a really good article pertaining to Battle Circuit. The story line and characters look to be one of a kind, and the science fiction element looks like a interesting take for a beatem up game. It looks like allot of fun, and like you said has similar gameplay mechanics to final fight, a game that I always enjoyed. I actually remember first seeing final fight for the first time, I think in a Nintendo Power magazine, and always thought the giant sprites looked awesome.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

Its funny because the only real rom hacks I have really attained are for the NES, and I feel like it would be fun to try and play hacks for good games on other systems as well. That is some really interesting information pertaining to the Sonic 3 Hack and all the different things that were changed in the game. I really like that there is an ability to customize the game to your own liking. That is something I have become interested in over the last couple of years but have never pursued. One of these days I am going to take one of my favorite games for the NES, and try to change some of the sprites to things that make the game more personalized to me.

Yeah, Sonic 3 Complete is probably the single greatest ROM hack ever created. Did you see the list of fixes it made? It's INSANELY huge. I can't post the URL with the patch notes, unfortunately, as the page seems to include the actual patched ROM of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, so I'd break the TOS if I did.

About the customizer thingy: your save file from any version of Sonic 3 Complete will run on any other customized version of Sonic 3 Complete, so you can completely change every option on the ROM customer page and your save file will still work.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, Sonic 3 Complete is probably the single greatest ROM hack ever created. Did you see the list of fixes it made? It's INSANELY huge. I can't post the URL with the patch notes, unfortunately, as the page seems to include the actual patched ROM of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, so I'd break the TOS if I did.

About the customizer thingy: your save file from any version of Sonic 3 Complete will run on any other customized version of Sonic 3 Complete, so you can completely change every option on the ROM customer page and your save file will still work.

Yes I did just look at the list of the changes, and it is amazing that someone took the time to make allot of those improvements. I always thought it seemed like a cool concept to be able to go into a game and customize it the way you want. I always felt that way with computers too: whenever I get a new PC, I always customize all the settings to make the computer experience much easier to navigate, and to get rid of all the processes that are running in the background at startup that are never needed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

Yes I did just look at the list of the changes, and it is amazing that someone took the time to make allot of those improvements. I always thought it seemed like a cool concept to be able to go into a game and customize it the way you want. I always felt that way with computers too: whenever I get a new PC, I always customize all the settings to make the computer experience much easier to navigate, and to get rid of all the processes that are running in the background at startup that are never needed.

Yeah, that list of changes is insane. I definitely think it's the best ROM hack I've ever seen.

• Like 2

Well it's time to post stuff again. I bought a Sega Mega Jet about 10 hours ago, so I spent a lot of time testing the Mega Jet's audio and video with many games. Fortunately, it seems that the Mega Jet is one of the best Mega Drive variants I have ever seen! This thing is awesome! Why does nobody talk about how awesome it is?

Genesis/MD
Darius - 5

Here's the Darius from the Genesis Mini/MD Mini in 2019.
Darius Extra version - 33

Here's the new Darius that released 2 weeks ago. This one's better, but the old one actually saves your high scores and this one doesn't. Sadness.
Gleylancer - 6
Normally Gleylancer stays hidden inside its box and the box stays hidden inside my desk to prevent light from touching it, but it's one of the games I use to test any new Genesis or MD hardware that I buy, so it got played in the Mega Jet.
Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 88 (estimate)

Lost track of time playing it earlier this week, so I estimated 37 minutes from start to finish and then played it again on the Mega Jet, which took considerably longer because the terrible collision detection on the final boss kept killing me. These were my first and third times intentionally ignoring the Chaos Emeralds in my life and it felt weird.
Sonic 3 & Knuckles - 3 (estimate)
Sonic 3 Complete - 7
Sonic Crackers - 3
First time playing it in about 15 years. Was relatively interesting until I got stuck inside a wall.
Sonic Eraser - 2

The music in this is terrible and I won in only 2 minutes and the credits played. I guess that means I beat the game.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 48
A no-miss run ruined by the clipping thing on the final boss. If that hadn't happened, I would have finished the game without ever dying. I was tempted to just turn the game off immediately, but I figured that I was already at the final boss, so I might as well finish the game. Intentionally skipped the Chaos Emeralds for the second time in my life. It's really weird how fast I can get through this game without them, as getting them basically doubles my play time. It also seems that Knuckles can actually get through the game more quickly than Sonic can because of his gliding thingy.
Xeno Crisis - 27

FC/NES
Akumajou Densetsu - 13

Behold the testing of the glorious Mega Jet:

Pic_0307_580.thumb.jpg.124c1f7402fe24fc1bf206c6d8918423.jpg

• Like 3

Are we allowed to post in this thread without exact times? I’ve been playing new games that arrived this week: the sublime Unnamed for the Lynx (2 hours?) and Frontier (20 minutes) and Quartz’s Quest (2 hours) for the Vectrex. I also played about two hours of Ernie Els Golf (excellent, super-impressive game even if I’m not into golf!) and about an hour of CJ Elephant Fugitive (better than its NES Quattro Arcade predecessor, haven’t played the C64 original or the home computer ports) on the Game Gear. Oh, Codemasters, we hardly knew ye.

And I’m on 110 day streak on the daily challenges (~15 minutes a day) in Retro Game Challenge 2 (aka GameCenter CX 2) for the Nintendo DS, which is not a 20th century system but the (wonderful!) games on it are very authentic-feeling original games in the styles of the NES, FDS, TG16, MSX, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and SNES. I can’t recommend it (and the first game in the series) enough.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

And I’m on 110 day streak on the daily challenges (~15 minutes a day) in Retro Game Challenge 2 (aka GameCenter CX 2) for the Nintendo DS, which is not a 20th century system

By the way, I added 7*15 = 105 minutes of that to the Modern tracker. Feel free to participate in that one too (goes for everyone).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ATARI 2600:

Ms. Pac-Man - 60 minutes

No Escape (for HSC) - 5 minutes

Pac-Man - 60 minutes

Star Voyager (for HSC) - 5 minutes

ATARI 7800:

Pac-Man Collection - 67 minutes

COLECOVISION:

Venture - 20 minutes

EVIDENCE OF THE WEEK: My 7800 PMC gameplay footage with Turbo Ms. Pac-Man Random Mazes

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 3

I was going to have a lot of 2600 times this week, but...  I was going to stream my Atari Flashback Portable on Twitch, but I was having some audio issues and couldn't get it straightened out... will take more fiddling...  but in the mean time, while testing solutions, I did get to play a bit.

Asteroids - 10 min (Just messing about trying to get audio to not have a hiss.)

Galaxian - 10 min (Same as above.)

• Like 3

Times for the week

NES

Tetris 252 mins. Hoping to get back to where I used to be. 

Arcade

Galaxian 10

Pole Position 2 - 11

Atari 2600

Allia Quest for FB HSC 38. Fun homebrew. 
Eggomania 61

Diamonds for Demons 28. Scored a PB. 
No Escape for HSC 30

Solar Fox 131

Star Voyager for HSC 19

Subterrania for HSC 124

All fun

529550E4-E6CB-4BF1-A5E3-666BF4FD84FB.jpeg

53D60F8B-B931-4316-8B70-D3ED33865543.jpeg

• Like 2

Amiga

Wings 165

Atari 2600

Commie Mutants from OS 22

Jr. Pac-Man 7

Montezuma's Revenge 94

Atari 7800

Asteroids 18

Baby Pac-Man 26

Summer Games 4

C64

Chopper Command 8

Dice Skater 20

Ghostbusters Basic 8

Jupiter Lander 18

Jupiter Lander (R&M Soft) 13

Montezuma's Revenge 141

Neptune Lander Elite 32

Quod Init Exit 12

Space Firehawk 23

Sub Hunter 19

Sydney Hunter Sacred Tribe 15

Intellivision

Beauty and the Beast 50

Smurf Gargamel's Castle 9

SNES

Adventures of Batman and Robin 30

It feels like I have a lot of things to report.  It ended up being kind of a big week for me on the classic side.  I have acquired 4 new TVs in Jan/Feb mostly to get some CRTs with better inputs.  I succeeded and now am enjoying some high video quality from these old systems.  I did a lot of testing of systems that connect to RF, Composite, S-Video, and Component which kept me busy.  I'll have to make some decisions soon about which TVs to pass along to others, but I'm having fun for now.

I haven't been playing Wings on any of these TVs.  Instead that is on my laptop through Win UAE.  I finally made it to the armistice and have generally the same impression of this version as I did when I finished the GBA version not too long ago.  I spent some time reading through the long aviation manual that originally came with the game.  It has so much content about tactics, planes, pilots and history.  My wife and I sat and talked about how this game seems to capture something that more modern games don't even attempt.  We couldn't put our finger right on it, but it has something to do with having an element of education combined with an emphasis on engaging the player through something other than action.  At the end of the flight manual, I found this written by the designer that I really liked:

I wanted to make a player feel like he was part of the action, to transport him to another era and bring to life the fantasy of flying for the Allies in World War One.  I knew that achieving this would depend as much on graphic as historical detail . . . I can only pray that Wings will be remembered for its ability to educate and entertain, and not as a glorification of war.

Besides Wings, I spent time playing a number of different systems.  Much of my other playtime is for two different versions of Montezuma's Revenge.  My childhood memories of this game are on the C64, and I didn't even know a 2600 version existed until the internet came around.  I logged some time for the 2600 version last week and played it a bit more at the beginning of this week.  I thought it seemed awfully short, and I wanted to compare it to the C64 version.  My memories came rushing back as I realized that the C64 version is much longer and much deeper than the 2600 version.  In comparison, the 2600 version seems more like a demo.  Someone should re-code it now that we have ways to expand homebrews.  The C64 version however still feels like an absolute masterpiece.  Metroidvania before there was such a thing.  I don't think I ever made it to the treasure room (even on level 1) as a kid, but that milestone has now been reached.  I will probably play a bit more in the week to come.

• Like 4

Arcade:

Aero Fighters -  60 min.

World Rally (Gaelco) -  15 min.

Atari ST:
Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge- 20 min

PC (MS-DOS):

Crazy Cars III (Lamborghini American Challenge) - 10 min.

Finally got around to buying a Super Gun and an Aero Fighters arcade PCB. One of my favorite shooters. The super gun, arcade PCB, joystick, PSU, scart cable, and monitor still cost less then a copy of Aero Fighters for the SNES.

DSCN4709.thumb.JPG.8800d84191a034104909f4d572e18aea.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Atari 2600

Kaboom! - 129 minutes

No Escape! - 10 minutes

Solar Fox - 169 minutes

Subterranea - 67 minutes

I got a new high on Solar Fox : 1,372,400  Rack 69  

My previous best was Rack 58.

I have trouble with getting skip a rack on rack 13 but I am starting to figure it out.

Edited by Atarian7
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Atarian7 said:

Atari 2600

Kaboom! - 129 minutes

No Escape! - 10 minutes

Solar Fox - 169 minutes

Subterranea - 67 minutes

I got a new high on Solar Fox : 1,372,400  Rack 69  

My previous best was Rack 58.

I have trouble with getting skip a rack on rack 13 but I am starting to figure it out.

Nice Solar Fox score.  I always find rack 18 to be toughest getting a skip a rack.

I didn't notice your Subterrania scoe on the HSC list this week.

• Like 1

Another all Sega week! At this point I've missed so many weeks of the Atari 2600 High Score Club that I'm starting to feel like I might as well just not play this season, but eh, maybe I can get up the motivation to start joining in next week. In any case, I spent most of the week continuing my playthrough of Lunar: Eternal Blue on the Sega CD and I think I'm probably about 2/3 the way done at this point. I'd plan on finishing it next week, were it not for the fact that I'm really stuck on a tough boss (Borgan, for those who have played the game) and I don't know how long I'm going to have to level grind to level up my characters and magic enough to even stand a chance against him. In he meantime, both the misses and I logged quite a bit of time in Sega Genesis fighting games this week on account of her getting a really freakin' nice new arcade stick in the mail from Japan last week. She got a Hori Fighting Stick Multi, which has a microswitched arcade stick that's compatible with the Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, and PC Engine! So, basically all the popular 16-bit era systems other than the Neo Geo. It's definitely the highest quality arcade stick I've ever used for any of the 3 systems it was made for, and the performance totally validates the lofty price tag if you ask me! I imagine we'll be playing quite a bit more fighting games next week as well, since this thing is just awesome! :D

HoriFightingStickMulti1.thumb.jpg.cfddff2d799f02f85e3860e869accc46.jpg

Sega CD

Lunar: Eternal Blue - 1,106 minutes

Sega Genesis

Mortal Kombat - 27 minutes

Samurai Shodown - 306 minutes

Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition - 165 minutes

Super Street Fighter II - 88 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,692 minutes (28 hours 12 minutes) [1,692 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Sega CD: 1,106 minutes