IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2021 (Season 14)

carlsson

Three Pac-Man family games on the pre-NES list happens quite frequently but I can't tell the last time there were 4+ of them. I should probably record the top lists for each week in a simple text document for easier digging through them later as the forum search functions are not entirely to gold standards.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

Officially there were only 3+1 games about Horace but if you include fan made games including strict crap game entries, you would include at least another half dozen games like Horace goes Seal Culling, Horace goes Snowboarding, Horace and the Boulders, Homeless Horace, Horace goes Peeing and Horace goes to the Tower, but on the other hand this poor character was the tool for some rather nasty publicity a little over a year ago which took quite some fun out of it.

I did not know about this character or the controversy.  After reading the article, I really want to play:  "Hungry Horace Goes To The Job Centre Because His IP Holder Took A Shit On Literally The Only People Who Give A Fuck About The Character".

• Like 1

Yeah, it mainly was a ZX Spectrum thing with a few games ported to C64 etc so probably very European-centric. The first game in the series, Hungry Horace is a Pac-Man inspired game with unfortunate dead ends in the maze. The second game, Horace goes Skiing is an interesting combination of Frogger and a skiing game.

• Like 3

There are a lot of very popular series that COULD appear 4+ in the top list, but the likelihood that we would actually play them enough in the same week is low.  Some classic series that are among my favorites include:

Pitfall -> besides I and II, there are sequels for the arcade, NES, and Genesis

Wing Commander

Monkey Island

Donkey Kong -> if you add the "Country" series of games it really opens it up

Resident Evil

and of course all things "Mario"

I'll probably think of more quickly . . . like Star Wars games, Ultima, or The Bard's Tale

• Like 3

This talk of how many Sonic games there are has kind of made me want to play stuff like Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car just because it would be funny as hell to have it listed in the tracker, although I'm extremely curious about what the game itself is like. Obscure games like this one are a lot of fun to try, though. Yeah, you can go look at all of it on Youtube or whatever, but it's more fun to play them without any knowledge at all other than knowing that the game exists.

• Like 3

I don't know how we'd count scenario packs (given that e.g. all four boards on Pinball Dreams count as one), but something like Civilization might come close. Mobygames lists at least 5-6 somewhat unique entries in the time period 1991-99. Later than that it would be a borderline question if said PC Windows and Mac games run on pre-2000 hardware or would go in the modern tracker.

Also we should not forget the Final Fantasy series which probably could put up a dozen different titles that belong in the classic tracker. That is particularly amusing if one would consider "final" mean the last in a series, but I suppose in this case it doesn't.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 4

On 2/24/2021 at 1:08 PM, digdugnate said:

I played the arcade version of Ghouls N' Ghosts at our local Skaggs Alpha-Beta when I was a kid- my folks while they were checking out on grocery day would give me a handful of quarters so they could keep an eye on me.  ;)  I really stink at those games, lol.

That is interesting  that they had an arcade version of Ghouls N Ghosts at your local Skaggs Alpha-Beta. I think its one of those games that you have to memorize the patterns to help make it a little easier, also using save states really helps me progress at certain points of the game.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 2

Terry didn't come back this week. Sadness. Sonic returned... barely. Both of the Sonic games I played this time are literally only 3 and 2 minutes long, respectively.

Genesis/MD
Darius Extra Version - 38

It's the new version of Darius that released on the 25th. This is just plain better than the Genesis Mini/MD Mini version in most ways. They even improved the music and the controls. Lots of options were added, so there's literally no reason to play the old version from 2019 anymore.

X68000
Cotton - 26 (estimate)

So the X68000 version of Cotton is on Cotton Reboot!, which also released on the 25th. This looks to be a ROM hack of the X68000 version with Switch/PS4 button prompts and a few added difficulties. BEEP rereleased the X68000 version of this game recently and I wonder if the added stuff is in that version. Anyway, not sure if this is running natively or under emulation, but I'm assuming emulation, so that means the X68000 gets to show up in the tracker for the first time in a while. I think the last appearance of the X68000 was when I played this game on a real X68000 a few months ago, interestingly enough.

Arcade
SegaSonic Cosmo Fighter - 3
You might see this game listed as SegaSonic Cosmo Fighter Galaxy Patrol, maybe because it says that on the side of the cabinet, but the game's actual title screen only says SegaSonic Cosmo Fighter.
Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car - 2

Yep, here it is. Did you know this game existed before I mentioned it? How about SegaSonic Cosmo Fighter? You probably didn't, but you do now~

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 5

Atari 8-bit:
Frogger [John Harris, Sierra On-Line] - 10 min.
Qix 5200 - 51 min.

Intellivision:
Space Armada - 5 min.

As usual, the A8 times consist of HSC rounds. Qix ended today followed by Frogger, which apparently exists in a lot of official versions of which two were picked out for the HSC but I can so far only boot one of them.

It leads me to that a guy on Facebook posted about his Intellivision that he didn't get to work. As it turned out, he was trying to connect the RF signal to composite in on his TV, a classic mistake. I was able to offer him a RCA to coax (Belling-Lee) adapter and furthermore he happened to live in the same city as me so instead of sending it by post that would arrive next week, we met up on Friday evening (totally against Covid-19 guidelines but sometimes video games are more important than a pandemic) to test his console and games. With the right adapter and a cable, it booted on first attempt and so did the handful games we tried. The biggest issue turned out to be his console was UK sold, i.e. PAL-I which means that one needs a modern enough TV to reproduce the audio since we use PAL-B/G in mainland Europe. Anyway, we had a good time and I impressed him with my skillz in playing Space Invaders type games, clearing several attack waves so while the times is an estimate, it might be quite spot on.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 4

Atari 2600

Circus Atari for FB HSC 48 - did good, fun game.

Eggomania 34 mins

Pooyan for HSC 56 mins - did bad

Solar Fox 66 mins -did good

Strategy X for HSC 32 - did real real bad

Subterranea 32 also for HSC - just getting started - think I will like this game

I may add some NES Tetris later.

• Like 4

Atari 2600

Kaboom! - 128 minutes

Pooyan - 6 minutes  (Couldn't figure this one out.  Didn't bother reading the instructions. LOL)

Solar Fox - 134 minutes

Strategy X - 10 minutes  (Started to get the hang of this one but started playing too late.)

• Like 4

Here are my retro games for the week

Atari 2600

Demon Attack              -30 Minutes    This is a really good shooter for the Atari 2600, and I finally reached 10,000 points in the game. It took me a while to attain that score, and although I died fairly quickly afterwards, it was nice to get surpass that mark.

Yars Revenge               -25 Minutes   This is a strategy shooter that is unlike no other for the system. I really enjoy playing this game, and I highly recommend it if you've never played it.

NES

Galaga                            -10 MInutes     Not much to say about this game that I haven't said already. It is one of my favorite shooters, and I really didn't start playing it until I joined the AtariAge Forum.

Spy Hunter                     -25 Minutes     This was one of my favorite games to play when I was a kid, and it still holds up to this day. I finally was able to get an extra life in this game: a feature I wasn't aware of until wongojack told me about the point system, thank you for that.

Sega Genesis

Sonic 2                            -10 Minutes   This is a really fun game that I was actually able to complete last year. I just wanted to see quick difference between this game and Sonic 3 before I started playing that game.

Sonic 3                            -45 Minutes   This is a great game for the Sega Genesis, and for some reason I feel like it adds more of a platforming element to the Sonic Series. Maybe it's because there seems to be more ways to complete each stage, but I could be wrong. Either way it is a really good game for the system, and it will be fun trying to finish this game.  .

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 6

FM Towns:
Raiden Densetsu - 15 min.

SNK Neo Geo CD:
Neo Drift Out  - 45 min.

Tested a Neo Geo CD I bought off of yahoo.jp this week. It was sitting in the warehouse of the Proxy Service, that I use, for almost a year. Japan stopped shipping Japan Post to the USA because of the pandemic. The only other option for shipping would have cost over $200.  A few weeks ago they finally got some cheaper options.

Also got the FM towns up off the ground and on my new computer desk.

DSCN4628.thumb.JPG.23e69b08f378e8b06d4fc4ec3fe8bae9.JPG

• Like 6

My times for the week:

Atari 7800:
Jinks - 25 min.

Midnight Mutants - 66 min.
Tank Command - 14 min.

Saturn:
Mortal Kombat II - 13 min.

Jinks would have a lot more charm if it went anywhere or had a meaningful goal. Once you've cleared all 4 levels on one credit, it feels pointless to continue. Too bad, as I have some affection for its vaguely Video Pinball-esque gameplay.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, thegoldenband said:

Jinks would have a lot more charm if it went anywhere or had a meaningful goal. Once you've cleared all 4 levels on one credit, it feels pointless to continue. Too bad, as I have some affection for its vaguely Video Pinball-esque gameplay.

You totally nailed it.  At first it seems like a nice little unique game that might add some interesting gameplay variety to the pinball genre.  Then it just becomes pointless to continue.  Is there even a score?  I can't remember.

I also found the TIA sounds to be particularly ancient-sounding in Jinks

• Like 3

21 hours ago, carlsson said:

Atari 8-bit:
Frogger [John Harris, Sierra On-Line] - 10 min.
Qix 5200 - 51 min.

Intellivision:
Space Armada - 5 min.

As usual, the A8 times consist of HSC rounds. Qix ended today followed by Frogger, which apparently exists in a lot of official versions of which two were picked out for the HSC but I can so far only boot one of them.

It leads me to that a guy on Facebook posted about his Intellivision that he didn't get to work. As it turned out, he was trying to connect the RF signal to composite in on his TV, a classic mistake. I was able to offer him a RCA to coax (Belling-Lee) adapter and furthermore he happened to live in the same city as me so instead of sending it by post that would arrive next week, we met up on Friday evening (totally against Covid-19 guidelines but sometimes video games are more important than a pandemic) to test his console and games. With the right adapter and a cable, it booted on first attempt and so did the handful games we tried. The biggest issue turned out to be his console was UK sold, i.e. PAL-I which means that one needs a modern enough TV to reproduce the audio since we use PAL-B/G in mainland Europe. Anyway, we had a good time and I impressed him with my skillz in playing Space Invaders type games, clearing several attack waves so while the times is an estimate, it might be quite spot on.

Nice story - glad you were able to help someone out.  AND I'm impressed that his controllers worked.  They aren't as bad as 5200 controllers, but I find there is often a problem or two to sort out.

On a side note, Space Armada has some hidden depth to it that you have to play a bit to uncover.  Yes, there are invisible enemies, but there's also strategy that allows you to replace your shields and a few different things that change about the shots the invaders are firing at you.  At first glance this game just looks like a complete rip-off with ugly, over-sized invaders, but they really added a few things into the game to make it different than some of the other "clones."  Space Armada Manual

• Like 3

Amiga

ATR All Terrain Racing 17 

Super Cars 112 

Super Cars II 115 

Turbo Trax 12 

Wings 228 

Atari 2600 

Hellway 2 

Kaboom! 17 

Montezuma's Revenge 16 

Sisyphus 3 

Colecovision 

Sydney Hunter Sacred Tribe 199 

Another week with 100% classic time for me.  I completed Sacred Tribe for Colecovision, and it inspired me to play some Montezuma's Revenge which I think is the classic game to which I would most compare it.  I kept playing Wings interspersed with breaks for top-down racing games on the Amiga.  I'm not quite to the armistice yet in Wings, but I have made it into 1918.  It is soooo hard to keep a single pilot alive in this game that I don't like to have marathon sessions.  Sometimes pilot deaths are my fault and sometimes they aren't, so it can get frustrating when you finally build up some stats and then accidentally crash into a balloon (my bad).  Better to come back later than power through.

I wrote a blub about Sacred Tribe in the "games beaten" thread:  https://atariage.com/forums/topic/315271-games-beaten-in-2021/?do=findComment&comment=4761894

• Like 5

1 hour ago, wongojack said:

You totally nailed it.  At first it seems like a nice little unique game that might add some interesting gameplay variety to the pinball genre.  Then it just becomes pointless to continue.  Is there even a score?  I can't remember.

I also found the TIA sounds to be particularly ancient-sounding in Jinks

Yeah, there's a high score table, so I suppose there's that at least. Don't remember if I reached the top of said table, and I suppose I should do that before calling the game "beaten".

That said grinding for score in this game is tedium. It's really irritating that if you go to the effort of clearing the initial set of bricks (before the first forcefield barrier in Level 1), your reward is...absolutely nothing!

And yes, the audio is such a bizarre combination of fancy digitized stuff on the title and splash screens, and totally archaic 2600 sounds during gameplay (that rapidly become annoying). A very strange mix.

The worst part of the level-select deal is that, from an interface perspective, it leads you to expect you'll get Levels 5-8 next. But nope, just the bare minimum from your friends at Atari and US Gold!

• Like 3

It was an all Sega week around here this past week, since I once again seem to have forgotten that the Atari 2600 High Score Club is a thing that exists and that I'm supposed to be playing in it. In any case, I spent the vast majority of the week just playing Lunar: Eternal Blue (the sequel to Lunar: The Silver Star that I finished last week) on the Sega CD and I think I'm somewhere around 1/3 of the way through it at this point. I like it just as much as the original Lunar, maybe more actually, since the gameplay is just like the original except with some quality of life enhancements to make menu navigation easier and there's easily 3 or 4 times as much voice acting and nicely drawn anime cutscenes in Lunar: Eternal Blue as there was in Lunar: The Silver Star. So, awesome game all around! I did take a little break to check out R-Type on the Master System, which much to my surprise wasn't nearly as good as the Game Boy Color port that I was more used to, and the misses and I did a rather long and relaxed pace play through of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles together since we've been playing through all the classic Sonic games lately. Maybe we'll do 3D Blast next, but who knows since I kinda have a hard time getting anyone else to like that game even half as much as I do. :lol: 

In any case, that's all the news that's fit to print from around here fo the week!

DSC00797.thumb.JPG.207eea21985d4bee9ab9b9024e4c34b0.JPG

Sega CD

Lunar: Eternal Blue - 1,075 minutes

Sega Genesis

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles - 536 minutes

Sega Master System

R-Type - 18 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,629 minutes (27 hours 9 minutes) [1,629 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Sega CD: 1,075 minutes

Sega Genesis: 536 minutes