IGNORED

Atari 2600 Homebrew Games Completed/WIP in 2021

5 hours ago, stlouisrod said:

So when are the 2020 homebrew award nominees being released so I can start "judging"?

Very very soon! ?  I will hopefully be putting up all the information today about the 3rd Annual Atari Homebrew Awards

The public voting is scheduled to start on Friday Jan 15th after the nominee announcements on ZPH!

- James

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 1:12 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Very very soon! ?  I will hopefully be putting up all the information today about the 3rd Annual Atari Homebrew Awards

The public voting is scheduled to start on Friday Jan 15th after the nominee announcements on ZPH!

- James

Great to hear, James! Really enjoy your channel btw. Keep up the great work.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 11:09 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Atari 2600 Homebrew Completed/WIP in 2021

Below is a list of all the Atari 2600 homebrew games that have either been completed in 2021 or have released an updated WIP in 2021. Please let me know if there are any missing or inaccurate (credits, binary sizes) entries.

Completed

WIP

Hi :) Save Gaia is still very much in development. It's on it's 3rd engine rewrite as I just cant seem to fit everything into 64kb, so trying a different approach to the engine. All the game content is now done, just needs stitching together in a way that fits lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

64K sounds huge. Have you though about compression? 

I am trying to make a Nes-Era Final Fantasy style RPG with rich unique full-colour environments on every screen (no 2 world map screens being the same where possible).... as well as a host of features like saving, towns, dialog, cutscenes, menus, inns, shops, music... etc... 64kb using bBasic is not going very far at all, however I think the 3rd engine revision might just about pull it off. I'm at well over 256 screens so far. How would one compress?

I might release the engine after the games release as open source so that this game style can finally take off on the 2600.

Edited by EvoMikeUK

First I would analyze what requires most data and then I would look for repeated stuff. E.g. the cave screens share a lot of similarities.

Also you could compose screens from smaller blocks. E.g. left and right halves, or quarters, vertical or horizontal stripes or whatever fits best.

13 hours ago, EvoMikeUK said:

Hi :) Save Gaia is still very much in development. It's on it's 3rd engine rewrite as I just cant seem to fit everything into 64kb, so trying a different approach to the engine. All the game content is now done, just needs stitching together in a way that fits lol

Excellent to hear, can't wait to see the progress. I'll add it to the list when an update is released in 2021.

- James

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew

2 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Added to WIP:

Hi James!

Lady Bug Arcade is a 32K port if you want to update the listing. :D  

Thanks,

John

Added to WIP:

Updated WIP Binary:

• Thanks 1

Added to WIP: