IGNORED

Modern Games Beaten in 2021

wongojack

12)  Skyward Sword HD (Switch) 

Got this at launch on Wii, but never really hooked me in for reasons I can’t remember.  I think I just got past the opening tutorials and never really progressed.  But now, many years later, I’ve finished it.  ?

I thought it was fantastic.  Combat with the motion controls was probably the most fun I’ve ever had fighting in a Zelda game.  I tried the “button only” option for a couple of hours, and it drained all enjoyment I was having, so went back to motion.

Great game, maybe my favorite 3D Zelda, but I’d need to play Windwaker again to be sure.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

13)  Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart (PS5)

R&C is one of my favorite franchises and this one didn’t disappoint.   

Graphics were absolutely stunning, and while the first 3rd or so was a bit light on the action, once it got rolling it REALLY got rolling.  Some of the best action platforming I’ve ever seen.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

Me too.  This is second for me since I finished on Switch first.

Wow! I mean it is a really long game and I've played me some 200+ hour games before. Lol. I'm impressed, although I've been thinking about playing it again someday on Steam but I'm not willing to pay extra for the ‘switch version’. Great game though, had a lot of fun…. it DID slog for a bit sometimes only because of its endless quests and things to do. 

• Like 1

14)  Demons' Souls  (PS5)

I had a bit of trouble deciding what I wanted to play, so I figured I'd just give DS a few minutes to see how it looked/played on PS5.    Then it kinda hooked me in, I suppose.

Kind of a bummer that the multiplayer was virtually non-existent, but it's a great remake/remaster/whatever it is.

I made it through Mass Effect 2 from the Legendary Edition collection (on Insanity).  I also played through the Point n Click inspired Twelve Minutes ME2 is probably my least favorite game from the series, but I REALLY enjoyed it anyway.  I did everything and explored everywhere.  I've never had such a complete playthrough before.

See the source image

As for Twelve Minutes.  The game starts in a very promising way.  The first 3 or 4 hours were very interesting, but the last 2 or 3 became too repetitive and obscure and by the time it was over, I was ready to never pick it up again.  My advice is don't try to binge this game, play it for 90 minutes at a time.  OR - just play a different Point N Click in your backlog.

See the source image

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wongojack said:

I made it through Mass Effect 2 from the Legendary Edition collection (on Insanity).  I also played through the Point n Click inspired Twelve Minutes ME2 is probably my least favorite game from the series, but I REALLY enjoyed it anyway.  I did everything and explored everywhere.  I've never had such a complete playthrough before.

See the source image

As for Twelve Minutes.  The game starts in a very promising way.  The first 3 or 4 hours were very interesting, but the last 2 or 3 became too repetitive and obscure and by the time it was over, I was ready to never pick it up again.  My advice is don't try to binge this game, play it for 90 minutes at a time.  OR - just play a different Point N Click in your backlog.

See the source image

ME2 on Insanity? Mad props. :)  I don't know that I would've stuck with it that long, lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm gonna actually play the Mass Effect Legendary series again down the road, maybe try it on a harder difficulty and a renegade path for the most part since I've never tried that. 
Just did a speedrun of Batman Arkham City finished in 17 hours. Easy getting sidetracked in that game but didn't want to do any of the side missions again. For me it's one of those games where I can't come back to unlike the first game so I figured I'd just do the main mission and that's it.
May take a break from modern games play some secret of monkey island or something :P

• Like 1

15)  Shadow Complex Remastered  (PS4)

I decided to give this one a go this weekend, and a funny thing happened... I played for a couple of hours this evening, took a break, then played for a couple more hours and finished it.  Didn't go for 100% or anything like that, juts did a normal run.

I have beaten this game multiple times on the XBox 360 when it came out over a decade ago, and got all achievements (100% completion, a speed run, etc) so I guess my memory just led me through it quick n' easy this time. 

Really good game if you like metroidvanias, but you quickly become so overpowered that it almost seems comical at times.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 4:41 AM, Parker77 said:

Just finished off Guacamelee 2 - with the secret key and good ending. Solid arcade-adventure with a few nasty difficulty spikes and occasionally overly-fiddly controls. Good stuff overall, 8/10.

I need to play that, thanks for the reminder!  I loved the first one, and have the second, so may queue it up as my next game.

• Like 1

I finished Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate Deluxe Edition about a week ago.  This is a spinoff of the Arkham series that I believe was created to get the game onto mobile platforms like 3DS and Vita.  I played it on Xbox 360.  The game only got average reviews, and I tend to agree.  I'd probably be kinder to this one than most reviewers though as it was nice to just take a (relatively) quick dip back into the Arkham series. 3/5

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I finished Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate Deluxe Edition about a week ago.  This is a spinoff of the Arkham series that I believe was created to get the game onto mobile platforms like 3DS and Vita.  I played it on Xbox 360.  The game only got average reviews, and I tend to agree.  I'd probably be kinder to this one than most reviewers though as it was nice to just take a (relatively) quick dip back into the Arkham series. 3/5

I was thinking about playing that after City, maybe I'll try it out for a bit, don't have to finish it. I heard the same things years ago, some people dig it for what it is.

• Like 1