IGNORED

HSC18 - WELCOME AND GAMES LIST

2 minutes ago, McKong said:

We vote from a selection of the suggested games before each round. The second poll should start this weekend.

Here's the poll for the first round

Thanks.  How can I be sure I don't miss the 2nd poll?  When does round 1 (Nibbler) end?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Max_Chatsworth said:

Thanks.  How can I be sure I don't miss the 2nd poll?  When does round 1 (Nibbler) end?

R1 Nibbler ends Sunday 31st Jan - the first post on the thread has all the details for each round. The R1 poll has remained open incase anyone missed it and wants to vote bearing in mind the runner up game(s) will go through to R2's poll. R2 Poll will start on Sunday 24th so it overlaps with the 2nd week of play (usually) :)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hey dudes and dudettes, hope you're keeping well

It's been a while, but I've had a long and stressful court battle to gain overnight access to my little boy, and honestly just haven't felt like playing anything

Thankfully it's all over (for now), and my little man has regular overnights with his daddy, and is one extremely happy child right now

While he's with his mother, his daddy will be making time to play some old bad graphics games again

I'll post scores for this round, and hopefully catch up on the rest soon enough

Glad to be back! 

Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, STARBUG said:

Hey dudes and dudettes, hope you're keeping well

It's been a while, but I've had a long and stressful court battle to gain overnight access to my little boy, and honestly just haven't felt like playing anything

Thankfully it's all over (for now), and my little man has regular overnights with his daddy, and is one extremely happy child right now

While he's with his mother, his daddy will be making time to play some old bad graphics games again

I'll post scores for this round, and hopefully catch up on the rest soon enough

Glad to be back! 

Dave 

Good to have you back,  and great news that you have access to your boy again. I can't imagine not being able to see my little mates

• Like 2

19 hours ago, carlsson said:

Welcome back, and hopefully your little boy eventually will grow old enough to enjoy some of those Atari games. We've had three (?) minors playing in the HSC this season, almost so we should open a separate class for under-10.

Thanks! 

He's only 3 and a half, and he's crushing Snes and Megadrive games. The 8 bit games are so much harder than the 16 bit though. He's played some Miner 2049er, but even that is so hard (even for us adults). If anyone has any recommendations for Atari games for very little ones, I'd very much appreciate it. I'm actually off to pick him up now for an overnight, would be awesome to get him playing some Atari with his daddy

Thanks in advance

Dave

• Like 2

Feel free to catch up on the old rounds. Nibbler should be somewhat child friendly (perhaps 3.5 is a tad bit young). Blue Max probably is out of the question. Qix (5200 version) might work though it is somewhat stressful. We currently play Frogger and maybe it works too, at least with some assistance from Daddy.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Feel free to catch up on the old rounds. Nibbler should be somewhat child friendly (perhaps 3.5 is a tad bit young). Blue Max probably is out of the question. Qix (5200 version) might work though it is somewhat stressful. We currently play Frogger and maybe it works too, at least with some assistance from Daddy.

Yeah try with Nibbler, my 4 year old was just about able to play it with a bit of help. I then tried him on Pac Mad and he was quite happy chasing the ghosts around when they turned blue!

• Like 2

On 3/12/2021 at 12:35 PM, McKong said:

Yeah try with Nibbler, my 4 year old was just about able to play it with a bit of help. I then tried him on Pac Mad and he was quite happy chasing the ghosts around when they turned blue!

My son took to Nibbler right away. He did really well first game, then by the 2nd game discovered/decided that crashing into his own tail was hilarious and the new objective, so that was the end of that. He decided we were moving on to something else he was done, so my score will have to wait ?

On 3/12/2021 at 3:17 PM, carlsson said:

Now I wonder if being good on playing video games is a genetic trait, and if it is dominant or recessive.

I would say like most things it's mostly nurture with a sprinkle nature. My boy has been playing since he was 2. Started him with off with a very simple Barney game for toddlers, where you can't die or anything, just to get him used to the controller. By the time he was 3 he was a veteran ?

7 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

River Rat is fairly good for little ones, just L/R with a bit of help ;-)

"Alf in the Colour Caves" is fun but hard to move as you need to hold dir and press fire at same time.

Thanks, I'll give them both a try with him. Should be no problem for him, he's got the hang of jumping attacks on 2 button games which is no mean feat for a little one

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 6:54 PM, STARBUG said:

Thanks, I'll give them both a try with him. Should be no problem for him, he's got the hang of jumping attacks on 2 button games which is no mean feat for a little one

Good thing with River Rat is you can park kiddie on your lap, hold base of joystick down to stop it moving and then just help out from time to time with a crazy swerve or two!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

^^ This is the exact right place for your suggestions.

Joust was played in January 2020 so probably a little soon to reprise it. Chopper Hunt was last seen in December 2018 and Wizard of Wor in March 2018. Serpentine was played as part of a team competition in September 2011 so indeed that would be long overdue for a second round.

I'm not writing this to knock down on suggestions, but to give you an idea that games rather recently played are less likely to be brought up again after a short while, unless of course those are WIP titles that received a lot of improvements over a short period of time.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, carlsson said:

^^ This is the exact right place for your suggestions.

Joust was played in January 2020 so probably a little soon to reprise it. Chopper Hunt was last seen in December 2018 and Wizard of Wor in March 2018. Serpentine was played as part of a team competition in September 2011 so indeed that would be long overdue for a second round.

I'm not writing this to knock down on suggestions, but to give you an idea that games rather recently played are less likely to be brought up again after a short while, unless of course those are WIP titles that received a lot of improvements over a short period of time.

?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tompateus said:

I dont know eather if this is the right tread to suggest games. trbb will have to guide us☺

Games that ill suggest are:

Joust

Wizar of war

Chopper hunt

Serpentine

I played both Serpentine and Wizard Of Wor for the first time in The HSC, both good games, I'd be happy to play them again 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure when the last paddle games were played here on HSC but suggest try a few .   I love paddle games especially Super Breakout.   

@therealbountybob had a great list of paddle games on A8 that I have never tried most of them:

I have played most of the 2600 paddle games and loved many but Super Breakout on A8 remains my all time favorite. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AtariSphinx said:

Not sure when the last paddle games were played here on HSC but suggest try a few .   I love paddle games especially Super Breakout.   

@therealbountybob had a great list of paddle games on A8 that I have never tried most of them:

I have played most of the 2600 paddle games and loved many but Super Breakout on A8 remains my all time favorite. 

Great suggestion AtariSphinx :idea:, we're long overdue a paddles round... will pencil it in soon folks so get some paddles and fix them up as best you can! 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Too bad that Inufuto (or perhaps his cross compiler environment) doesn't support Atari 8-bit yet, as some of his games would be really nice HSC material. Oh well, I could start up a separate HSC for either of the 32 computer formats he already supports even if Atari isn't one of them.