IGNORED

The 4K Experience (and trouble-shooting)

Mockduck

16 minutes ago, tripled79 said:

4K works just fine for me. It's PC mode that I am having issues with. I've tried so many times to install windows, but I just get a black screen or "no video" for a great length of time before I give up and restart the system in Atari OS...

Thanks for that, very weird 4K in Atari OS doesn’t work properly for me, I’ll need to investigate this more from my end i’ll throw a new HDMI cable at it tonight and see if that resolves it. How are you installing Windows 10? I had to pre install it on an M.2 ssd drive installed inside a caddy connected via USB using my gaming PC first as the VCS would block me installing Windows 10 directly to it using the M.2 ssd installed inside the console. If you’ve pre installed Windows 10 using a PC it could be an issue with the storage or a setting when pre configuring it as bootable media for VCS, I hear people have had issues running Windows 10 from a USB flash drive and getting black screens and poor performance. 

7 hours ago, tripled79 said:

4K works just fine for me. It's PC mode that I am having issues with. I've tried so many times to install windows, but I just get a black screen or "no video" for a great length of time before I give up and restart the system in Atari OS...

I can't explain but when I move my consoles and differents kind of screens TV 4K, PC FHD, court focal, some times I got black continus screen

For me the resolve was to test and change some hold HDMI cables that were not good on all my screens.

The cables I receive with consoles are not really good I got Black screen on my court focal and finish missing entry HDMI :(

Maybe give a chance to an other HDMI cable ? witch with an other one or with a friend 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 12:47 PM, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

That’s no problem, if anyone knows a fix or comes across one definitely let me know I’d love to leave it set up on 4K on the dashboard. I might try a different HDMI cable later today just to see if that would fix it but I’m guessing it probably won’t since it’s doing 4K just fine in PC mode. 

No way for now. The 4K in ATARI VCS work bad from the beginning. I am very upset about this.

3 hours ago, markofwolves said:

No way for now. The 4K in ATARI VCS work bad from the beginning. I am very upset about this.

I share your frustration. I’m sure Atari will eventually tidy up the firmware bugs or whatever is causing this with the Atari OS and all will be good, it’s taking a long time. I’ll just be using 4K PC mode on VCS with Windows 10 and good old 1080p when in the Atari OS for now. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mockduck said:

I don't understand how a few people are saying they aren't having an issue with 4K; doesn't seem likely a few random people have no issues and everyone else does? 

Maybe related to the Freesymc thing?

Does it work ok for you in Wndows as Atari_JaguarVCS above referrs to? If that works great news it just means the AMD video driver needs to improve just like the WiFi driver improved enormously. 

9 hours ago, Mockduck said:

I don't understand how a few people are saying they aren't having an issue with 4K; doesn't seem likely a few random people have no issues and everyone else does? 

I think the 4K work fine in PC Mode, these people refer or they just don't understand us. Another possibility is that they have upgraded the ram. This is my next step if Atari doesn't fix it.

Atari in february confirm this problem:

Valerio,

We are being told by engineering that we are waiting for hardware acceleration for 4K from AMD. They had promised it to us when we selected the AMD Ryzen, but they have missed two deadlines for delivery and we are still chasing them. Once they provide us with that update 4K performance will improve dramatically.

Atari Support

Yesterday i send a new message for receive update about this problem.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I believe I've just received what it seems is a third batch of BIOS updates on the VCS. I haven't tried it yet with my macOS builds but judging from the results it looks like 4K acceleration may have finally been enabled with the new BIOS. I was able to run Unigine's Heaven in 4K mode (for example) and got about 3-4fps. It does seem snappier also.

• Like 1

I finally dipped into PC Mode last night for a few hours, until the Seagate SSD I was using got real hot and died...picked it up around Xmas and hadn't used it yet...what a waste of $70....

That said, I was surprised at how speedy it actually was. The easiest benchmark for me personally is the two games I work for, and both ran on max settings quite well, with one on Very High instead of Ultra High for better frame rate. Beats an equivalent priced laptop by a mile, and was better than expected, frankly. 

Also, a quick check of PC Mode 4k was positive, so if the VCS can get the 4k working in AtariOS I'll walk back a big personal negative. Nice!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, zzip said:

yikes!  Is it still under warranty?

I don't actually know...I definitely no longer have the receipt, and never registered it. So guessing I am just out of luck. Just won't even show up when plugged into my regular PC, either. You know what, lemme call out the exact item, with the caveat that there is a certain % fail rate on any device like this, so maybe your experience will be better: It was a Seagate One Touch 500gb SSD https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WZHYHLM/ref=twister_B097VL566Y?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

I don't actually know...I definitely no longer have the receipt, and never registered it. So guessing I am just out of luck. Just won't even show up when plugged into my regular PC, either. You know what, lemme call out the exact item, with the caveat that there is a certain % fail rate on any device like this, so maybe your experience will be better: It was a Seagate One Touch 500gb SSD https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WZHYHLM/ref=twister_B097VL566Y?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah, sadly, that's how it goes with SSDs most of the time. The SMART data also mostly does not help,
but if your external disk died so quickly, it should surely be under warranty, just by the serial number,
from Seagate. Certainly give it a try, receipt or not. Maybe it's their enclosure which died, not the SSD...

30 minutes ago, justclaws said:

Yeah, sadly, that's how it goes with SSDs most of the time. The SMART data also mostly does not help,
but if your external disk died so quickly, it should surely be under warranty, just by the serial number,
from Seagate. Certainly give it a try, receipt or not. Maybe it's their enclosure which died, not the SSD...

Not to distract too much from the topic, but you are right, it is under warranty and other than me having to pay to ship it to California it should get a free replacement. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 12:50 PM, Middleman said:

I believe I've just received what it seems is a third batch of BIOS updates on the VCS. I haven't tried it yet with my macOS builds but judging from the results it looks like 4K acceleration may have finally been enabled with the new BIOS. I was able to run Unigine's Heaven in 4K mode (for example) and got about 3-4fps. It does seem snappier also.

Where do you get this bios? Officialy nothing is out :(

1 hour ago, markofwolves said:

Where do you get this bios? Officialy nothing is out :(

Really? Unless I'm mistaken, that's strange because I just had it updated when I turned my unit on - the system auto-updated itself and is the third set of BIOS updates since I got my unit back in December. The code is even recognised in my macOS Big Sur System Profiler. BIOS version is 05.32.50.0011-VCS.21.

On 6/12/2021 at 7:42 PM, Mockduck said:

What issues? I'm talking REAL issues and not "the rainbow animation doesn't run at 60fps" because other than a minor thing like that, the rest of the Atari OS and the games run just fine when in 4K mode.

On 7/4/2021 at 5:17 PM, tripled79 said:

What issues? I'm talking REAL issues and not "the rainbow animation doesn't run at 60fps" because other than a minor thing like that, the rest of the Atari OS and the games run just fine when in 4K mode.

My experience has been much worse than that; gameplay is not responsive enough to be successful, and navigating the menu feels like running windows 10 on a 2005 cheap laptop. I don't claim to have much 4k experience in general nor tech, though, so I'd love to see raw video of your 4K experience!

• Like 1

If it wasn’t for having Windows 10 on my VCS I definitely wouldn’t be getting any 4K experience on the console that’s for sure!. I hope Atari are able to resolve the issue the VCS has with 4K mode on the Atari OS side of things I mean it’s surely possible since 4K in Windows 10 is such a smooth experience, just makes you wonder what exactly the hold up is. 

On 7/6/2021 at 12:53 PM, Mockduck said:

My experience has been much worse than that; gameplay is not responsive enough to be successful, and navigating the menu feels like running windows 10 on a 2005 cheap laptop. I don't claim to have much 4k experience in general nor tech, though, so I'd love to see raw video of your 4K experience!

I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying. "not responsive enough to be successful"? what does that even mean? I press a button and the console responds. "feels like running windows 10 on a cheap laptop"? I'm not a fan of windows in the first place, everything feels cheap to me on that OS regardless of what hardware it's on. But at any rate, still not getting your point.

My VCS functions in 4K mode. It just works. That's about all I can say...

9 hours ago, tripled79 said:

I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying. "not responsive enough to be successful"? what does that even mean? I press a button and the console responds. "feels like running windows 10 on a cheap laptop"? I'm not a fan of windows in the first place, everything feels cheap to me on that OS regardless of what hardware it's on. But at any rate, still not getting your point.

I press the button and the game responds about a half second later with a frame rate of about 5 to 10 fps. Grab some video of you playing a game in 4k mode! You seem to be one of the few where it is working. For me and most other users it is not a playable experience.

18 hours ago, tripled79 said:

You will have received the Atari VCS 2 :)

On 7/4/2021 at 3:16 PM, Middleman said:

Really? Unless I'm mistaken, that's strange because I just had it updated when I turned my unit on - the system auto-updated itself and is the third set of BIOS updates since I got my unit back in December. The code is even recognised in my macOS Big Sur System Profiler. BIOS version is 05.32.50.0011-VCS.21.

Where do you get this bios? In the dashboard info i've: 1.0.21