IGNORED

Getting into homebrew

Hey there, I'm trying my hand at getting into homebrewing 2600 games in my spare time for fun with no previous background knowledge in programing. Random Terrain's site has been a godsend for all aggregated info and I've been having a wonderful time reading through Atari Basic as a way to understand Basic and hopefully apply that foundational knowledge to learning bB. 

Today I decided to jump into the tinkernut tutorial and ran into an issue where I am following the tutorial exactly but I cannot compile the code after I position my player and enemy sprites on the playfield using and as such cannot continue the tutorial.

Any help would be appreciated as well as any other tutorials I could potentially follow if possible.

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, FartholomewTVG said:

Today I decided to jump into the tinkernut tutorial and ran into an issue where I am following the tutorial exactly but I cannot compile the code after I position my player and enemy sprites on the playfield using and as such cannot continue the tutorial.

I've not looked at that tutorial before, but with any code issue, you can post in the batari Basic subforum with the details of your compile issue, and people can help you get past that.

1 hour ago, Andrew Davie said:

"Tinkernut" brought to mind this post...

Thought it might be relevant.

Speaking of that, be sure to look at these example programs:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#ex_tinkernut_world_deluxe

On 1/8/2021 at 2:48 PM, FartholomewTVG said:

Hey there, I'm trying my hand at getting into homebrewing 2600 games in my spare time for fun with no previous background knowledge in programing. Random Terrain's site has been a godsend for all aggregated info and I've been having a wonderful time reading through Atari Basic as a way to understand Basic and hopefully apply that foundational knowledge to learning bB. 

Any help would be appreciated as well as any other tutorials I could potentially follow if possible.

Thanks!

Very cool! :) SuperCharger BASIC is another option that is closer to Atari BASIC and vintage BASIC's from the 80's -

It can be learned with simple one line programs and used to compete in the international 10 line BASIC Programming contest!