IGNORED

3rd Annual Atari Homebrew Awards (2020): Voting Information & Discussion

25 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Dunno. The show already covers numerous systems. To me it feels like it is losing focus a bit. At least it should stick to 8-Bits systems. 

IMHO

BTW: If you add the ST and Jaguar, why not the VCS too? After all, it is an Atari system.

@ZeroPage Homebrew, kind of concur with Thomas here, I don’t particularly have much interest in the later Atari systems. I drooled over the Atari ST and games like Carrier command and Captain Blood, but I never owned one.

I don’t have any idea of the number of Homebrews released, but doubt it is very high. The userbase according to Wikipedia appears to be the same as the 8-but line, but the activity in the forums is quite a bit less.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, CapitanClassic said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew, kind of concur with Thomas here, I don’t particularly have much interest in the later Atari systems. I drooled over the Atari ST and games like Carrier command and Captain Blood, but I never owned one.

I don’t have any idea of the number of Homebrews released, but doubt it is very high. The userbase according to Wikipedia appears to be the same as the 8-but line, but the activity in the forums is quite a bit less.

james keeps track of the games released for 2600 and 7800(I think also for the others not the jaguar) he does post in a thread what was released and mentions the cut off date for AHA(Atari Homebrew Awards)

• Like 1

When I read "Atari" and "VCS" in Thomas' suggestion, I mentally added my own air quotes around both.

In all seriousness, I think James should just follow his muse here. Homebrewers naturally move from technology to technology (or system to system) to keep things fresh and interesting. I wish no less for him.

Even if 16-bit systems aren't your personal thing, there's a lot of inspiring stuff going on with other platforms, and it's worth peeking over the fence at least occasionally.

• Like 4

On 1/16/2022 at 10:41 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

It would great to eventually cover the FULL lineup of Atari systems/consoles. I think there's just Jaguar and Atari ST/STE left after we added Lynx this year.

@masteries - Do you know approximately how many NEW homebrews are completed/released each year for Atari ST/STE?

- James

Per year?   xD

Really you are not aware of the humongous amount of work, a high quality 16 bit release requires.

A very good game will require at least 2 years, working on it frequently.

14 hours ago, masteries said:

Per year?   xD

Really you are not aware of the humongous amount of work, a high quality 16 bit release requires.

A very good game will require at least 2 years, working on it frequently.

Honestly, that's not that far off the timeline for "very good" 8-bit releases.

I don't doubt that higher quality assets take longer to produce, but it's not really relevant; asking how many homebrews come out in a year doesn't presume development effort in the slightest. Individual projects could take 4 years, and there could still be a large number of homebrews released each year. It just depends on the volume of homebrew activity.

• Like 6

When spending two years+ on projects, it's a bit of a gut punch there isn't a Jaguar category given the incredible activity in development for the system over recent years, especially after seeing titles on "AtariAge day" a year ago. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

When spending two years+ on projects, it's a bit of a gut punch there isn't a Jaguar category given the incredible activity in development for the system over recent years, especially after seeing titles on "AtariAge day" a year ago. 

Jaguar has also a new game development framework,

Someone make us a favor, list of 2020-2021 new released Atari ST/E games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41yZfj66pgE

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

We started the AHA's four years ago with only the the Atari 2600 category and have been adding Atari systems each year to it, with Lynx just being added this year. I'll mark you down as a wanting Jaguar to be added to next year's awards.

If I was to add Jaguar and the Atari ST/E categories I would need help as I'm not familiar with the games or the communities. Does anyone know if somebody keeps a comprehensive written list of new releases for the Jaguar and Atari ST/E?

- James

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 3:16 PM, Dan Iacovelli said:

james keeps track of the games released for 2600 and 7800(I think also for the others not the jaguar) he does post in a thread what was released and mentions the cut off date for AHA(Atari Homebrew Awards)

That's correct, I keep daily updated comprehensive lists on AtariAge of all new releases for Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, 8-Bit and now Lynx.

Lynx was a massive learning curve as I'm not familiar with the system, but the community stepped up and helped me out with all the information I needed to add the system to the Atari Homebrew Awards this year.

- James

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

We started the AHA's four years ago with only the the Atari 2600 category and have been adding Atari systems each year to it, with Lynx just being added this year. I'll mark you down as a wanting Jaguar to be added to next year's awards.

If I was to add Jaguar and the Atari ST/E categories I would need help as I'm not familiar with the games or the communities. Does anyone know if somebody keeps a comprehensive written list of new releases for the Jaguar and Atari ST/E?

- James

I think the problem then is the name - Maybe it should be called "The Atari Systems I Own Awards"

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

I think the problem then is the name - Maybe it should be called "The Atari Systems I Own Awards"

I don't think you're understanding that I *WANT* to add Jaguar to the Awards show. I'm asking for HELP from you to add the Jaguar but you're not making it easy.

You could be constructive towards helping make the Awards more inclusive but you have chosen to criticize.

- James

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Sorry :)

It shouldn't be too hard to compile a list. Not sure there was much in 2021, but there was a lot in 2020, and there will be a lot in 2022.

PM me and we can talk about it more.  I'd be happy to assist getting Jaguar added.

• Thanks 1