IGNORED

First Patch Incoming

Mockduck

From a backer email just sent out a bit ago:

The software team has identified many of the fixes and is working toward implementing them with a system OS update as soon as next week. Stay tuned for more news on that as soon as we have it.

The rest of the email has some tips for getting the VCS set up, but isn't otherwise newsworthy. In particular, it is expected that the patch will correct Bluetooth connectivity issues along with initial OS update issues. Unclear if anything else. The rest of the email:

We are excited that Atari VCS hardware has been shipping these past few weeks! So many of you are already up and running, having fun, and providing us with super-helpful feedback via customer support and the Founders Club on Discord! 

For those of you who have not yet set up their VCS. We have some valuable “Pro-Tips” based on learnings over the last few weeks. Following the instructions below will greatly reduce the chances of encountering some of the rare but frustrating issues we have seen.

Do not press “Skip” during the setup process, or log in for the first time as a “Guest.” Doing this introduces a bug that will cause the first account you create to be inaccessible. This is a known bug we are fixing, so for now please complete the entire set-up process.

The Atari VCS is a connected device that must be connected to the internet to properly set up the hardware.  The first time you power on your new Atari VCS it will perform a mandatory day one system update. Do not skip this important step! If you do, you may encounter issues.

It is important that you let this full update complete. If you interrupt the process, you may corrupt the system and you will be forced to manually update the operating system.

Please be aware that the first update can take 20 minutes or more, depending upon your internet connection speed. The progress indicator will go to 80-plus percent rapidly and then stay in the 80s and 90s for a long time. The system will also reboot several times and go through a BIOs update. This is all normal.

If after 30 to 35 minutes the update has not completed, you can try turning the power off and on again. If the system still fails to update on its own, please contact our customer service team for instructions for manually updating the operating system. 

Once your Atari VCS is updated and up and running, be sure to grab your free download of Missile Command: Recharged and the essential Atari VCS Companion app.

We have also added a great new game today called Something Ate My Alien and pushed updates for several of the games already in the store, with even more games on the way soon!

If you have any issues of any kind, please go directly to the support team. Do not post on the Indiegogo chat or any Atari social channels. That will only delay your solution as they are not equipped for product support. There are still some known bugs, particularly around Bluetooth that you may encounter. The software team has identified many of the fixes and is working toward implementing them with a system OS update as soon as next week. Stay tuned for more news on that as soon as we have it.

We hope your setup goes smoothly and you have a great weekend of fun with your Atari VCS!

Thanks for your ongoing support and enthusiasm!

-- The Atari VCS Team

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

From the Founder's Discord:

TrogdarRobustoToday at 10:09 AM
@everyone 

We have pushed the latest OS update. When you next login the update will happen automatically.

Waking Atari VCS via Bluetooth
The system will now wake from sleep from connected Bluetooth controllers.

Distinct User Accounts
Every Atari VCS user now has a distinct account:
- Each user’s Chrome settings will be tied to their account
- Each user has their own collection of games
- Each user has their own saved game sessions (A byproduct of this change is that existing saved games will no longer be accessible. We apologize for this inconvenience.)

Safe Mode
Added “safe mode” which is enabled by pressing and holding the Menu and B keys on any connected controller while booting the VCS. The system then boots disabling 4K/UHD resolution and skips automated system updates.

Chrome Updates
Chrome updates will now happen automatically.

Atari VCS Dashboard/Store
- Minor UI/UX bug fixes and improvements
- Optimized store response to reduce the store load time.
- Updated some translations, and added more translations to expand language support.
- Enabled video trailers in store listings (we will be adding trailers over the next week)
- Changed the progress reporting for OS updates so it more accurately reflects progress.

• Thanks 2

As Mockduck has already posted the announcement above, I edited my post to report my findings.
TESTING IN-PROGRESS

> We have pushed the latest OS update. When you next login the update will happen automatically.
>

At boot-up, the update started automatically.
It completed in about 5 minutes, without problems.

1521290317_WhatsAppImage2021-02-03at20_28_24.thumb.jpeg.27e62453f6548f2cbf0200b898de4fc9.jpeg

> Waking Atari VCS via Bluetooth
> The system will now wake from sleep from connected Bluetooth controllers.

>
The system can be put to sleep, and turning on a controller immediately starts up the VCS.

> Distinct User Accounts
> Every Atari VCS user now has a distinct account:
> - Each user’s Chrome settings will be tied to their account
> - Each user has their own collection of games
> - Each user has their own saved game sessions (A byproduct of this change is that existing saved games will no longer be accessible. We apologize for this inconvenience.)
>

This is a good advantage, as it means the account can have the same games on any console, I think.
* Atari also wrote (informally on Discord) they are looking at adding a family-account type situation
  to share games on one console. I can see that it is more complicated than it looks, at first glance.

My saved games were indeed lost, in the update, but as a Linux sysadmin, I understand why it happened... it's a one-off.
Atari should add a "backup to USB", or even "save to <user>-cloud" a option for save-games!

> Safe Mode
> Added “safe mode” which is enabled by pressing and holding the Menu and B keys on any connected controller while booting the VCS.
> The system then boots disabling 4K/UHD resolution and skips automated system updates.

>

I tested this - seems transparent in operation, but of course should say "USB connected" controller.

> Atari VCS Dashboard/Store
> - Minor UI/UX bug fixes and improvements
>
I didn't notice anything particular, but there was no fan activity I noticed when using the VCS interface. It does seem quicker, more responsive, but I don't think there are any new options.

> - Optimized store response to reduce the store load time.
>

Guntech got an update just after the system update. It downloaded first-time, no problems.
Antstream Arcade has also just got an update since the system update. Again, download fine.

> - Updated some translations, and added more translations to expand language support.
>
6 languages are supported - I'm not sure which are new.

> - Enabled video trailers in store listings (we will be adding trailers over the next week)

This is a big improvement for the store, as static photos were not at all attractive for a game! 

> - Changed the progress reporting for OS updates so it more accurately reflects progress.

This was a change for future updates, I presume. This update was done very quickly anyway. A few minutes.

UNLISTED UPDATES
- My controllers now connect via Bluetooth in 3-5 seconds, which is a big improvement from before!
- Turning off WIFI when connected via Ethernet, after a reboot, the WIFI stays off now, as expected.
** MAJOR improvement - the WIFI now seems reliable, with no disconnects at all after 2 days of use...

VCS STORE UPDATES
- There was a major Guntech update, which I installed after the AtariOS update, and which completed without incident.
- There is a NEW app - a controller check application, which shows which buttons are pressed, and the twist function of the modern joystick.
- There is another NEW game - Ato, by the same developer as Frog Hop, but this is a pretty game.

Antstream Arcade has also just got an update since the system update. Again, download fine.

649800352_WhatsAppImage2021-02-03at20_43_12.thumb.jpeg.acf46d677a82ebf15f88ee5d177fe5de.jpeg

Other people complained that some updates did not occur.
- There was no BIOS update - this can be done independently of an AtariOS update.
- There were no controller updates - these are independent, and can be done at any time.
- Missile Command controls - it's a game, and needs to be updated indepently, just like any game.
- Antstream Arcade controls - it's also a game, and needs to be updated independently. (See above.)

- Date is still in am/pm format, but is the correct time-zone. I do prefer 24-hour format, but meh.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, markofwolves said:

4K now work fine?

The anstreream keyboard change? I can't log in.

I can't comment on 4K as I don't have a 4K TV, but I'd be confident to GUESS the corruption bug is fixed. ?

On Antstream, did you update the app? It still does not support a physical keyboard for login, but works with
the modern and classic controllers on both USB and Bluetooth. Previous to the update, it only worked with
the classic controller on USB, I believe. Of course, as an app, further updates would be waiting on Antstream.

• 2 weeks later...

This patch was reissued today, of course. 
I took photos, but I will add updates tomorrow - previous notes apply also.

After the update:
BIOS version - 05.32.50.0011-VCS.20, updated password.
AtariOS - 20210212.195850.production, Build - P#911.  

I had already done the previous upgrade, so no lost of game data.

The big change here is that after software update, the BIOS was updated.
However, after the software update, the BIOS password was NOT changed.

Only after the BIOS was updated, was the BIOS password also changed.
I think the password is present again on the system as before. Tomorrow...

Fan control seems again better, less noise, even in Guntech. (It seems so.)

WIFI connection good, reliable, faster than before.
Bluetooth sync good, 2-3 seconds, a bit longer after sleep wake-up.
Quite a lot of system files changed, but I will analyse file system tomorrow.

Ugh.  I received the OS and BIOS updates today.  My controllers now seem to be on an intermittent 3 second delay from my button press to action.  I first noticed it on the home screen and rebooted to see if that would help.  It didn't.  So I created a ticket with customer service and while doing that, the VCS went to sleep.  When I woke it with the controller it seemed to have corrected itself.  So I figured, ah just a hiccup.  I tried to play Danger Scavenger but the input delay returned while in the game.  I found the game unplayable.  I then exited the game and logged into my daughters account.  She wanted to play Frog Hop, so she started the game and it was playing as normal.  Ugh.  Maybe Danger Scavenger needs an update.  Dunno, but I'll keep you all posted as to the outcome.

8 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

Ugh.  I received the OS and BIOS updates today.  My controllers now seem to be on an intermittent 3 second delay from my button press to action.  I first noticed it on the home screen and rebooted to see if that would help.  It didn't.  So I created a ticket with customer service and while doing that, the VCS went to sleep.  When I woke it with the controller it seemed to have corrected itself.  So I figured, ah just a hiccup.  I tried to play Danger Scavenger but the input delay returned while in the game.  I found the game unplayable.  I then exited the game and logged into my daughters account.  She wanted to play Frog Hop, so she started the game and it was playing as normal.  Ugh.  Maybe Danger Scavenger needs an update.  Dunno, but I'll keep you all posted as to the outcome.

That's weird, because the controllers didn't get an update. I had hoped for one, but better safe than sorry.

I was playing Guntech last night, after the update, no problems, but tonight I will try Danger Scavenger. ?
An update for Danger Scavenger is coming (I think I read, soon, somewhere) so let's hope it's a coincidence!

• Like 1