IGNORED

BBC blown PSU

Preppie

I'm considering buying a BBC model B and I've seen a few with blown PSUs (common problem).  My question is, assuming the machine was ok to start with, what are the chances of it being ok if the PSU is fixed?  Will 90% survive or will there be a good chance that the PSU has taken some other components with it?

After doing some more searching I found an article saying the caps are for noise surpression and probably won't cause any problems after a pop but obviously should be replaced.  If anyone has a different view on the subject I'd be happy if you posted.

I believe there are a couple ways a BBC PSU can blow. Some just emit the filter smoke without affecting functionality, some won't power on. I've repaired one and replaced one out of the four I've owned in recent years. There doesn't seem to be a case of overvoltage so the motherboard should be fine even if the PSU died.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I finally got round to doing this.  Having never soldered before I was a bit worried but it was fairly simple process.  Desoldering was a bit awkward, probably due to a low iron temp (RMC kept his low in the vid I watched) but soldering the new caps was simple enough.

The hardest part was dismantling the psu and getting the board out of it, removing the power switch took me forever lol

Anyway, it's working fine now and looking great.  I also got a data recorder with it (and a wordwise rom was installed) that I don't need so I'll flip that on ebay, with the stupid prices some of those go for I could end up with a free computer :)

Thought I'd show u a pic, all I've done is give it a quick wipe with windolene and gave the keyboard a little brush - the guy selling it obviously didn't know about the common psu problem and probably thought it was a gonna.

20210702_130911.jpg

Edited by Preppie
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...