IGNORED

Stella 6.5 released

stephena

33 minutes ago, stephena said:

Open Windows Explorer.  Go to %APPDATA%/Stella and delete (or rename) the stella.sqlite3 file.  This is where all settings are stored.  If you remove it, Stella starts up in a completely fresh state.  Then tell us if anything has changed.

I just tried this and it had a negative result...

Now port 1 doesn't work at all, and the 2 port acts as Left

3 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

Well, something changed, so we're on the right track.  It actually has nothing to do with the paddle emulation, etc.  Those are now working, as you said in a previous message.  Now the problem is (mis)detection of the device.

Do you actually have two of these 'Jakadaptors' plugged in, or is it only one device that presents two ports to Windows?  If it's the latter, then it's entirely possible that this is a case we've never seen before, and hence why there are issues.  So we are back to the same conclusion; we need to somehow obtain this controller, and test on our end.  Very strange ...

Right, I should have read your initial posting in the 6.4 release thread.  This is indeed a single USB device that has two ports, not two separate USB controllers.  No Stelladaptor has ever worked that way, so it's no surprise that there are issues.  I guess the way we detect controllers is to assume one USB device is one controller.  And the Jakadaptor 'breaks' the logic in Stella because of that.  I feel it's probably pretty easy to fix, if we can get one.  Perhaps we can have one built, or build one ourselves??

9 minutes ago, stephena said:

So we are back to the same conclusion; we need to somehow obtain this controller, and test on our end.  Very strange ...

3 minutes ago, stephena said:

Right, I should have read your initial posting in the 6.4 release thread.  This is indeed a single USB device that has two ports, not two separate USB controllers.  No Stelladaptor has ever worked that way, so it's no surprise that there are issues. 

Do you have two Stelladaptors connected for testing at the same time?

I only have one 2600-daptor II, so I can't test what happens if two of those are connected at the same time.

I guess the way we detect controllers is to assume one USB device is one controller. 

More pictures:

It is odd that Windows Devices shows one, but the settings shows it as two:

image.png.44c786e7c34319ae5107969279286f00.png

image.png.d25478c140572c10b210dae70dec6785.png

I think they are reported to Windows as two separate devices:

image.png.74c75db332cbb8f3a9f30f7372696274.png

I feel it's probably pretty easy to fix, if we can get one.  Perhaps we can have one built, or build one ourselves??

OK, I do not have the standard boards that are shown on the Jakadapter site because I made a special one for me.

I can make something for you, but it will be hand wired on a breadboard.

On the Jakadapter site there is a link to purchase some boards from PCBWay to build your own, but the trouble with building one yourself is you need to be able to program the PIC with firmware, so a special programmer is need (assuming you don't have one)

I found this in the Market here from a over a year ago:

I do not know if Shift838 ever tested it. 

They are also listed in his store, so I'd imagine that they are still available.

Again - strange that both ports are working correctly in the older v5.0.2 - but let's not dwell in the past :) 

I do have 2 Stelladaptor/2600-daptors.  I have 5, in fact :) And I have two of the same kind (2600-daptor D9) specifically to test such cases.  And I've also tested combinations; they all work.  But then again, they are all "one USB device per controller".

As for building the device, if I had all the parts, I'm able to do soldering, etc.  I don't have a PIC programmer, though.  But maybe someone else on the Stella team does.

WRT it working in 5.0.2, it may have been a fluke.  Honestly, so much has changed since then, I wouldn't know where to start to figure out the differences.

It might also be related to the version of SDL that Stella uses.  If you feel like more testing, maybe try copying SDL2.dll from the 5.0.2 release into the 6.5 folder, and see if it makes a difference.  It may not even work, or it may not make any difference.

EDIT: Whatever you do, though, make sure to delete the settings file I mentioned above, so you're always starting from a fresh install.

2 hours ago, stephena said:

Open Windows Explorer.  Go to %APPDATA%/Stella and delete (or rename) the stella.sqlite3 file.  This is where all settings are stored.  If you remove it, Stella starts up in a completely fresh state.  Then tell us if anything has changed.

1 hour ago, fdr4prez said:

Ok, after going back into the options and clicking on the Default button again for each screen in there, I do see some things change and now Port 1 works again as Left port and Port 2 still works as Left 

19 minutes ago, stephena said:

It might also be related to the version of SDL that Stella uses.  If you feel like more testing, maybe try copying SDL2.dll from the 5.0.2 release into the 6.5 folder, and see if it makes a difference.  It may not even work, or it may not make any difference.

I just tried that, but there was no difference in behavior.

19 minutes ago, stephena said:

EDIT: Whatever you do, though, make sure to delete the settings file I mentioned above, so you're always starting from a fresh install.

Whenever I delete the settings file and restart Stella, then i have no input at all.  I need to go into the options and click the Default button on the various screens  (and I can see some things change on some pages when I click default).  Afterwards I relaunch and then the ports both work as Left again

So it seems that deleting the sql settings file and restarting does not get the same settings as when you go to the options and click Defaults.

27 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

Whenever I delete the settings file and restart Stella, then i have no input at all.  I need to go into the options and click the Default button on the various screens  (and I can see some things change on some pages when I click default).  Afterwards I relaunch and then the ports both work as Left again

So it seems that deleting the sql settings file and restarting does not get the same settings as when you go to the options and click Defaults.

I still think that's related to the weirdness of the 'two controllers in one' thing.  I think when one problem is fixed, it will automatically solve the other.

12 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

Whenever I delete the settings file and restart Stella, then i have no input at all. 

That can only happen if you still have an ini file. This will be imported when the sqlite file is created. And when the old settings are corrupt, then the import will fail.

Please make sure there is no ini file and redo the test.

21 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

That can only happen if you still have an ini file. This will be imported when the sqlite file is created. And when the old settings are corrupt, then the import will fail.

Please make sure there is no ini file and redo the test.

Yeah, forgot about that one; good point.  You need to remove both the .sqlite3 and the .ini file to start from a completely fresh state.

5 minutes ago, firebottle said:

What version did the NTSC & PAL aspect % control get removed (or put someplace else)? It used to be in the Video prefs section.

I use that for an older TV that has overscan.

There is no longer such an option, as NTSC and PAL screens are now sized the same.  In the latter case, however, the scanlines are thinner, just like on a real TV.

If overscan is an issue on older TV's, there is actually now a setting specifically for that.  It's in Options -> Video & Audio -> Display.

1 minute ago, stephena said:

If overscan is an issue on older TV's, there is actually now a setting specifically for that.  It's in Options -> Video & Audio -> Display.

And you can use the V-Size setting too. Both options also have hotkeys (see documentation), so you do not have to go back and forth with the dialogs.

6 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Bug:

If the caps-lock key is engaged, you cannot type "M" to jump to Miniature Golf. Or like "V" for Video Pinball..

Not actually a bug.  The ROM listing is not case-sensitive, so typing lowercase "m" will jump to Miniature Golf.  Using uppercase is for jumping to directories that begin with "m" instead.  This feature was added some time ago, as a way of quickly jumping to a directory.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Keatah said:

How can I stop the screen from dimming when hitting the TAB key, makes it harder to match colors across different displays.

The screen is dimming when dialogs are opened or in Pause mode. If you want a non-dimmed emulation screen, open the Time Machine.

8 hours ago, Keatah said:

Is the "stella.pro" file still needed? The documentation says it is, but it also says all settings are stored in the sqlite file.

No, not used anymore. I missed updating that part. Sorry.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The screen is dimming when dialogs are opened or in Pause mode. If you want a non-dimmed emulation screen, open the Time Machine.

That partly works. I was hoping to be able to adjust the color palette while paused. And take real photos.

MAME has a "paused brightness" option. By default, MAME dims the screen to half-brightness. But there is an option to change it to any value, like 0% dimming.

Can something like that be done here?

On 1/10/2021 at 9:40 AM, stephena said:

Not actually a bug.  The ROM listing is not case-sensitive, so typing lowercase "m" will jump to Miniature Golf.  Using uppercase is for jumping to directories that begin with "m" instead.  This feature was added some time ago, as a way of quickly jumping to a directory.

Whoah! Thank you so much for adding this whenever you did. I never knew it had this option as I have everything in folders within folders. ? 

- James

8 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Whoah! Thank you so much for adding this whenever you did. I never knew it had this option as I have everything in folders within folders. ? 

Even I didn't know. Or forgot. :) 

Time to update the documentation.

• Like 1