IGNORED

Stella 6.5 released

stephena

A small question. If the stella.pro file is no longer used, and its data is now placed in the stella.sqlite3 file.. how is the data handled when you change some settings for any game and then "default" them back to default? Does the entry stay in the database or is it removed?

I would hope its removed so as not to clutter up the file with entries that will never be used again.

Not sure the "delete from database" thing is working right then.

This information remains after clicking [Defaults]..

"Cart.MD5": "16cb43492987d2f32b423817cdaaf7c4",
  "Cart.Manufacturer": "Atari, Larry Kaplan - Sears",
  "Cart.ModelNo": "CX2602 - 99802, 6-99802, 49-75102",
  "Cart.Name": "Air-Sea Battle (1977) (Atari)",
  "Cart.Note": "AKA Target Fun (Anti-Aircraft)",
  "Cart.Rarity": "Uncommon",
  "Display.PPBlend": 81,
  "Display.Phosphor": "YES"

..but it does behave correctly. [Defaults] returns the game to default settings. Sorry if I'm being anal about it!

Edited by Keatah

• 2 weeks later...

Stella 6.5.1 has been released, addressing a few long-standing issues in the R77 port:

• Fixed paddle button bug for jittering controllers.
  • Improve switching between joysticks and paddles on Retron77 port.
  • Improve memory usage on Retron77 port.

An interesting story.  We (actually, @DirtyHairy) finally found the bug with the R77 port where the paddle button wasn't being registered.  It turns out that the paddle readout hardware on the R77 is very poor, and coupled with a bad set of paddles, Stella was detecting the input being in error and then discarding it.  So it took a bad set of paddles to figure out what was going on!  And of course the other members of the team tested with relatively good paddles, so we could never narrow the problem down.

You are now also able to change paddles and joysticks on the R77, and each will continue working.  Previously, after using paddles, joystick movement was locked out, and a reboot was required.

Anyway, continue to report bugs here, or by creating an issue on Github at https://github.com/stella-emu/stella/issues.  Stella can be download at https://stella-emu.github.io/downloads.html, and donations are welcome at https://stella-emu.github.io/donations.html.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

If 6.5.2 isn't about driving controllers, then I can't get driving controllers to work (tested with Indy 500) with 2600-daptor II or D9.  Button works, steering works ironically on the selection menu but not in-game, confirmed both ports are set to Driving.

Another minor UI bug: Setting V-Size adjust to -1 (negative one), exiting and then re-entering Video & Audio Settings results in the V-Size value not being printed in the UI (functionality is still fine).

EDIT: Apologies, this was tested on R77.

Edited by Rodney Hester

I captured the below log if it helps.  Currently the stock joystick is plugged into the front-left port and the 2600-daptor II (and a driving controller) into the first USB OTG port (with a keyboard in the third port, if it matters):

Creating the OSystem ...
Stella 6.5.1
  Features: Sound Joystick PNG ZIP
  Build 6699, using SDL 2.0.9 [arm32]

Base directory:     '~/mnt/stella/'
State directory:    '~/mnt/stella/state/'
NVRam directory:    '~/mnt/stella/nvram/'
Persistence:        '~/mnt/stella/stella.sqlite3'
Cheat file:         '~/mnt/stella/stella.cht'
Palette file:       '~/mnt/stella/stella.pal'

Video system: mali
  Renderer: opengles2
  Max texture: 4096x4096
  Flags: +vsync, +accel

Added joystick 0:
  'i2c_controller' with: 4 axes, 8 buttons, 0 hats

Added joystick 1:
  'i2c_controller #2' with: 4 axes, 8 buttons, 0 hats

Added joystick 2:
  '2600-daptor II (emulates left joystick port)' with: 3 axes, 12 buttons, 0 hats

Sound enabled:
  Volume:   100%
  Device:   Default
  Channels: 2 (Mono)
  Preset:   Custom
    Fragment size: 512 bytes
    Sample rate:   48000 Hz
    Resampling:    Quality 2, Lanczos (a = 2)
    Headroom:      2.5 frames
    Buffer size:   3.0 frames

Game console created:
  ROM file: ~/mnt/games/driving/Indy 500.2K

Cart Name:       Indy 500 (1977) (Atari)
  Cart MD5:        c5301f549d0722049bb0add6b10d1e09
  Controller 0:    Driving in left port
  Controller 1:    Driving in right port
  Display Format:  NTSC*
  Bankswitch Type: 2K (2K) 

Edited by Rodney Hester

I am running a PlusCart as my hardware host on my '2600 units.

I am seeing strange behaviour on the positioning of digits on hardware vs. Stella 6.5.1, as shown in the images.

The test binary was pulled from an AA thread.

On Stella, centered, evenly spaced digits.

On PAL JR and NTSC JR I see the identical difference to Stella; digits positioned to the right, and poorly spaced.

Also, the visuals are quite different

This would appear to me to be a Stella bug since I'm seeing the same on two '2600 units, but I suppose it could also be PlusCart?

@Al_Nafuur @Thomas Jentzsch

1420616926_ScreenShot2021-01-29at7_40_41pm.thumb.png.54b1bb2e8ed30779d387af037437e041.png

Hardware screenshot...

IMG20210129194000.thumb.jpg.57a1a699dd5714ca9f748371998e3187.jpg

Aside from the digit location and inter-digit spacing, the "stars" are very different, too. Each machine is slightly different to Stella.

Glitch2.bas.bin

15 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

This would appear to me to be a Stella bug since I'm seeing the same on two '2600 units, but I suppose it could also be PlusCart?

Same behaviour on my UnoCart, so this points towards a Stella bug..?

Or I just lucked onto two different machines (PAL, NTSC) which happen to be odd...

Edit: changed the cart type to UnoCart!

Edited by Andrew Davie

7 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

I am running a PlusCart as my hardware host on my '2600 units.

I am seeing strange behaviour on the positioning of digits on hardware vs. Stella 6.5.1, as shown in the images.

The test binary was pulled from an AA thread.

On Stella, centered, evenly spaced digits.

On PAL JR and NTSC JR I see the identical difference to Stella; digits positioned to the right, and poorly spaced.

Also, the visuals are quite different

@Al_Nafuur @Thomas Jentzsch

1420616926_ScreenShot2021-01-29at7_40_41pm.thumb.png.54b1bb2e8ed30779d387af037437e041.png

Hardware screenshot...

IMG20210129194000.thumb.jpg.57a1a699dd5714ca9f748371998e3187.jpg

Aside from the digit location and inter-digit spacing, the "stars" are very different, too. Each machine is slightly different to Stella.

Glitch2.bas.bin 4 kB · 1 download

The colours are different on my PAL 2600jr but the digit spacing and position looks the same..

btw.

you can put test ROMs like this into a folder (like "Andrew Davie Test ROMs") and share that folder with other PlusCart users, so your tester on PlusCart don't have to download from AA and upload to the PlusStore themself and will always test the newest version.

2 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

The colours are different on my PAL 2600jr but the digit spacing and position looks the same..

btw.

you can put test ROMs like this into a folder (like "Andrew Davie Test ROMs") and share that folder with other PlusCart users, so your tester on PlusCart don't have to download from AA and upload to the PlusStore themself and will always test the newest version.

Will do. But maybe we should have a global "Test ROMs" directory for this purpose?

I think two things are going on here:

1. The starfield effect has a substructure that is not easily explained by the interaction of the sprite counters. This is emulated on a heuristic basis by Stelle for the missiles and ball (the different lengths of the dots on subsequent lines), but not for the players. I believe there is an issue for this somewhere

2. From looking at the debugger, it seems that the HMOVE logic is still in "starfield mode" when RESP0 / REPS1 are strobed, and HMOVE is only strobed after that. The result depends on the revision of the TIA chip and also the temperature of the chip. PAL and NTSC makes no difference --- both are Jr. chips which is the decisive point. It would be nice to have a data point on an older console.

• Like 2

For reference:

https://github.com/stella-emu/stella/issues/246

That one has a lot of screenshots and images of the differences between various TIA revisions for missiles in "starfield mode" and explains the issue.

https://github.com/stella-emu/stella/issues/19

This is the original starfield issue. It is still open as the details of the player substructure are not emulated yet.

• Like 1

Just now, Andrew Davie said:

Will do. But maybe we should have a global "Test ROMs" directory for this purpose?

This would imply that every PlusStore user can upload to this public "Test ROM" folder?

The registration at the PlusStore is open to everyone and currently there are about 100 PlusStore User, but not all of them have a PlusCart connected to their account.

Not all of them can use the share function, because I don't want people to use the PlusStore as sharing platform for every kind of stuff.