IGNORED

Geneve OS development discussion

8 hours ago, mizapf said:

The SID Master 99 is available in MAME since 0.225 if you want to test it (device "sidmaster").

What is the file extension for files it will play if I surf the web?  I'm assuming there are common file extension, or a good resource for the files out there?  

Is the sidmaster device allowed on the Geneve for MAME emulation?  I realize it would need to be in Rompage mode if it can. 

Are there details on the software? Source code to play said files?  I'm assuming there is some kind of speaker connection to the card?

I'm starting from a point on not knowing anything about the card and not having seen one thinking about potential uses on the Geneve as a background task playing in the background of a game, etc.

I asked a bunch of questions, but the github repository pointed to earlier did not seem to have the details needed for any applications on a TI-99 I could find.  If someone else has a repository of info on the device for the TI-99/4A, that would be a good start.

• Like 1

a) The SID Master 99 is a PEB card and has no connection to the outside world (aka web). I don't know how the files are typically named on the web, but as usual with MAME, you have to put the files that interest you on a disk image. Then you use the SIDPLAYER; there you can select the files to be played.

b) The SID Master 99 is a pluggable card for the Geneve in MAME, but I never tested it thoroughly. It maps to addresses 5800-5836 (even addresses only), incompletely decoded (5800-5FFF). You will certainly have to map the BA page into 4000, but then it should work.

c) See the SIDPLAYER software; it has an included help page.

Edit: Look up more information here: http://www.dsapsc.com/

Edited by mizapf

For those that recognized it, the redefined characters are the character definitions Myarc used for part of the Myarc logo, but it has now been lengthened across the top for the length of the underlying line.  It  uses 9 redefined character definitions for 228 through 236 and replaces the Greek letters in the ANSI character definition that were previously there which were sometimes labeled as printer characters.  We were not aware of any "ANSI" use of those characters.  Lower definitions of some of the characters had various border designs from 128 up to 227.

Glad everyone liked it.

• Like 5

I'm thinking you are right in that it wasn't implemented, as I seem to recall Tony and others using "CLS" a lot in their batch files, probably for this very reason. I have to imagine that adding the @ functionality would be relatively simple.  I'll note it for the next time I'm in HCLIS unless you decide to poke at it; I'm guessing it would be a matter of checking the first character of a line for "@" and if in batch file mode, set a flag to disable the echo for that command/line,  update the starting position of the input line +1, and let the interpreter at the remaining characters. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OK, there was a simpler solution and I have forwarded you the files.  The default will be to have ECHO OFF, so that if a user wants to ECHO something from their autoexec, the existing ECHO <string> works.  If you want to see what your AUTOEXEC file is processing, then have at the starting point, ECHO ON.

The full range of 256 characters are now defined by default on bootup.  See note about EXEC/GPL needing to restore character set after exiting as programs like MyWord changes some of the definitions.

The built-in Telnet client now has a flashing cursor.  Gives local access to the PI if needed.  I think the code was about 250 bytes for the built-in client.

Time for bed after I check the last message.

• Like 2

Might take a few seconds to get used to a clean bootup ;)   I have to focus on a work task the rest of the week so I'll merge your changes into my build Friday evening and will send you the memory routine MANAGE2S/MANAGE2T files for the ram detection changes at that time.  Also, see my PM about IBMGRF and the video powerup routines.  The only 'unknown' right now is whether or not any other tables, such as blink attributes, overlap the high characters.  The char definition should be fixable with a call to XOP >28 upon exit to the OS, though I have to wonder if the SET video mode XOP is supposed to reset the characters along with the registers.   Lastly, I have a few items to complete in the DSR code before I can modify EXEC to match GPL; I also need to figure out what I did with my PLAYE source.

• Like 3

Fixed a 25+ year old bug.  It seemed random due to how the OS presents memory pages to the requesting program.

Was able to confirm and resolve with the help of MAME - thank you @9640News and @mizapf for getting me up and running. 

DSR Powerup routines have been updated to conform to Geneve OS 7.xx; also made a few cosmetic adjustments. 

image.thumb.png.18f8c5608cc39c56f3b27b76981fc1bd.png

• Like 8

8 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Sometimes its the little things that matter.   Incorrectly typing "CI  R0,R1" instead of "C  R0,R1" resulted in this unintended lightshow demo.  (Not sure why the video won't play)

image.png.da5e5bd5cabb2915a3b1bd13b2f74159.png

I seeeeeee sooooo mmmaaaannnnny prettttttyyyyyy  ccccooooooolllllllooooorrrrrsssss.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I was asked why the ramdisk at CRU >1400 doesn't show that it is formatted to capacity.  The answer is that it was formatted before I started using a partition header, so the values GC picks up are of no consequence.   I have been using the ramdisk at 1400 for my dev work and 1600 for testing;  I even locked down the formatter IO routines to ignore >1400 just in case...   ;)

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 3:55 PM, Nick99 said:

It's an amazing job you (and Beery) are doing and I look forward to the release! It feels like a good time to own a Geneve!

Until then, a couple of GIF-pictures I made (to be viewed on the Geneve)... ?

GENSWAN1.gif

GENSWAN3.gif

SWAN-GIF.dsk 180 kB · 10 downloads

How would I make this show up on boot? Sorry, im still learning....

Edited by GDMike