IGNORED

Vectrex Reboot?

vladius71

As much as this could be a very intriguing project, I personally think that one of the highlights of the Vectrex is the true vector-based graphics.  Using LCD/LED would take away most of the magic and turn it into a basic "emulation" type of unit.  However... I wouldn't mind seeing a modernized version with color vector graphics and a larger display.  That could open a whole plethora of options for the homebrew community.  I also love the 3D imager, so utilizing that in a modernized way would be a bonus.

But don't give up the search.  It took me almost 20 years to get mine and its one of the highlights of my game collection!

• Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 2:59 PM, ArcadeJunkie said:

As much as this could be a very intriguing project, I personally think that one of the highlights of the Vectrex is the true vector-based graphics.  Using LCD/LED would take away most of the magic and turn it into a basic "emulation" type of unit.  

Exactly.

7 hours ago, ls650 said:

Without a CRT display, I just don't see this working.  Even a very high resolution LCD screen won't look quite the same.

And yet when you watch a vectrex in a YouTube video on LCD it has the bright shimmering vectors. So clearly even the most pedestrian display and graphics chip can easily handle it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Keatah said:

And yet when you watch a vectrex in a YouTube video on LCD it has the bright shimmering vectors. So clearly even the most pedestrian display and graphics chip can easily handle it.

Pffft.  I own a Vectrex, and I've played Vectrex emulators on a quality LCD screen.  No.  It doesn't look the same.

• Like 1

Correct. It doesn’t. But when a camera records a real vectrex it replicates the bloom and glow gradients in the correct proportions. And those are played back on LCD in the correct proportions.

The emulator isn’t aware of how to draw good saturation and bloom and glow.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ls650 said:

Pffft.  I own a Vectrex, and I've played Vectrex emulators on a quality LCD screen.  No.  It doesn't look the same.

Agreed, even if you could get good saturation and glow, it ain't vectors.  That's the whole point of a Vectrex, the little b&w screen, the overlays, and the true vector graphics (and the analog stick).  The LCD version would be the Beyond Meat fake beef burger of the vector video game world.  Good day, sir, take your fraudulent "vector" console and be gone.  I said good day!!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Keatah said:

Correct. It doesn’t. But when a camera records a real vectrex it replicates the bloom and glow gradients in the correct proportions. And those are played back on LCD in the correct proportions.

I've never seen a video that looked like a real Vectrex. But I would still buy one. Then again I like Beyond Burgers.

• Like 1

Here is our take/mockup...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9QBt7PnGKE/

It runs Argon, so the library is dynamic (can be updated server side) and it (could) run the full suite of other systems we support. Has a 4 button + 1 joystick layout, and you can add additional controllers via bluetooth or USB for additional players.

While the mockup used an off the shelf SOM that runs Android (the same one Arcade1Up uses), we're currently inclined to go with a Pi4 and our custom boot SD instead, to give people more flexibility down the line. Additionally, we'd go with a larger screen than Arcade1Up had used (on the smaller unit were the 8" screen is just odd looking with all that bezel, we have done more recent mockups with a 10" screen and it is sweet. The size screen Arcade1Up uses on the larger units is fine)

We'd also done a 2 player mockup

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8-dX2JH5_z/

Don't hold me to it, but our current guess at pricing for a small kickstarter sized run, these would be approx. $199-$249 + s/h for the 1 player, $299-$349 + s/h for the 2 player.

We'd need to be able to sell 500-1000 to make it worth the effort.

1811449758_ScreenShot2021-01-17at11_07_01AM.thumb.png.4044527782871f10e2feecc4b02084de.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...