IGNORED

The hamburger experiment

23 hours ago, atari2600land said:

Yeah, I was using 1.2.9.

How about this? Would this work better? This was before I tried to fix stuff.

herts40.bas 46.08 kB · 1 download

You are right, this one works.  I'll put the cloud back to the top and see what is going on.

-dZ.

• 3 months later...

I've decided to come back to this after I read a YouTube comment on the video for this game and asked when the game was coming out! So I decided to finish the game to make it come out. (Although Peter the Pea was never released.) I decided to attempt to fix a few things.

• Fixed the pea disappearing when the enemy is shot. If the enemy is shot and the pea is on screen, it should stay there moving left until it goes off the screen.
  • The waves in level 9 (beach) still roll when the boss is out. In previous versions, it stopped.

I am thinking I have too much code in my game loop. The game still works okay, except for that cloud bug in level 1.

Next this fall (it turns too hot to code in my room which I call "the oven" in the summer even with a/c.) is to code level 10, and then make an ending.

herts42.rom

• Like 3

Messing around with the cloud again. I got it to be higher except when it's at the extreme right, it's doubled:

shot0042.gif.a89b94a732918f0e865bdd7d1204d88a.gif

I could not for the life of me get it to stop doing that, so in the end, I made it look like this:

herts1.gif.0b2f1f27e6b28f0c768c3619c7ee8045.gif

Oh wow. Something must be interesting. Those are completely different colors.

3 hours ago, atari2600land said:

Messing around with the cloud again. I got it to be higher except when it's at the extreme right, it's doubled:

shot0042.gif.a89b94a732918f0e865bdd7d1204d88a.gif

I could not for the life of me get it to stop doing that, so in the end, I made it look like this:

herts1.gif.0b2f1f27e6b28f0c768c3619c7ee8045.gif

Oh wow. Something must be interesting. Those are completely different colors.

I can’t see the problem in the second video:  the cloud seems to jump from one end to the other, as if the video was cut.

dZ.

5 hours ago, atari2600land said:

The second video was to show what happens when the cloud reaches one end. I had to make it not come in from the side but instead make it pop up on the right side because of the problem.

I see.

On 5/31/2023 at 5:17 PM, atari2600land said:

I fixed everything and even made it so the veggies don't shoot peas after they die.

While in some games, enemies release one last shot before they explode, I'm not sure if any type of enemies release a number of shots when it is about to die. Perhaps that would be something interesting to add, that an exploding veggie fires one last swarm of peas everywhere but most prominently towards you.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, carlsson said:

While in some games, enemies release one last shot before they explode, I'm not sure if any type of enemies release a number of shots when it is about to die. Perhaps that would be something interesting to add, that an exploding veggie fires one last swarm of peas everywhere but most prominently towards you.

I had reported before that the lettuce seemed to shoot after they are killed, sometimes even after their sprite disappears, so it was definitely a race-condition bug.

For reference, here is the comment to which I was alluding:

dZ.

39 minutes ago, carlsson said:

There is a McCarthy's "Lord of the Burgers" in Chateau-d'Oex and of course Gruyère Castle in the region famous for the cheese with that name.

Or maybe the famous White Castle hamburger restaurant chain from the USA decided to open a store in Switzerland, which is why the hamburgers went there. 😄

dZ.

I renamed it "Alpencastle." I also fixed some bugs and stuff. All that's needed now is an ending. I made new music for levels 9 and 10. To see the Alpencastle, press "0" at the beginning. Of course, I'll remove the level selecting thing in the finished version. Or perhaps I'll hide it. What say you?

herts45.rom

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

I renamed it "Alpencastle."

Sounds good.

32 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

I also fixed some bugs and stuff. All that's needed now is an ending.

How about showing the hamburgers going skiing and enjoying their holiday.

dZ.

Beginning work on the ending. The music carlsson provided is in. I have a question. Most NES games of the era have it so you must press reset or power off the console upon the end. This is the way I have it set up now. Should I change it so a fire press makes it go back to the title screen? I mean, once you hear the ending theme and see the ending picture, there's not really much left to do if you don't want to play it again.

I also tried to make the sky cyan but it wouldn't work, so it's blue.

shot0046.gif.8f9b4dbc6d7de36edeefdfc6e2cf0fb4.gif

• Like 1

Found and (hopefully) fixed a bug pertaining to shooting the last enemy. Here is version 47. It starts at level 1.

(if you want to see the ending, at the title screen, press 4, 7, 4, 7, and ENTER. It's the code for warping: 4, 7, 4, 7, level #.)

I somehow managed to fit this in a 32k ROM. Yay?

herts47.rom

• Like 2

• 1 month later...