IGNORED

which game would you most like to have?

andreaspv

which game would you most like to have?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. with the prayer that some developer, make a port for Atari 7800 ..

• GYRUSS
    • POOYAN
    • TAPPER
    • MOON PATROL

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

On 1/12/2021 at 8:05 PM, BydoEmpire said:

It's definitely NOT Gauntlet, but it will certainly have some elements of it.  No ETA, though, depends when I find time.  Good progress lately, though, who knows.

Yes...it works well on real hardware...only moving up and down could be a little bit faster ?

• Thanks 1

My rule with ports is that if there is already a widely available 8 bit port on another console, I look at it as less of a priority. So although 1943 for NES is more an original game loosely based on the arcade, I think of it as 'good enough for now' (wouldnt mind something more arcade perfect ie with 2 player co-op).  Pooyan, Gyruss also have NES ports (alot of people hate the NES port but I think its OK).  Many of the other suggestions I see on the board would also be in that category (Bubble Bobble is a popular suggestion). 

Tapper on the other hand never got an 8 bit port that I can completely endorse. The 2600 version gets the gameplay mostly right but is pretty ugly, and the Colecovision version looks ok but feels slow.   So for me, Tapper would be #1.  I also voted for Moon Patrol, but we know there was a done or mostly done Atari done port of it - I hope the prototype surfaces some day. 

I would have added Mr. DO! to that list of choices.  I dislike every port of the game except for the much later SNES version which since its not an 8 bit system feels like cheating. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/11/2021 at 3:45 AM, mksmith said:

Bubble Bobble would be another to add to the list.

On other 8bit consoles the tiles are 8x8 and the bubbles flicker because of to many sprites per line,how would you overcome this?That would be the most difficult part,the bubbles just follow direction based on an array in ram,the Logic of enemies is pretty simple to but all those bubbles per line is kinda a problem.

• Like 1

Port over XE Crime Buster. Adds another game to the vast expansive 7800 lightgun game list & it must be easy to do, they did it with Barnyard Blaster. & unlike a bunch of these other games listed you cant play it anywhere else. 

I mean, ANOTHER version of Gyruss? Really??

59 minutes ago, juansolo said:

A top down racer using driving controllers along the lines of Super Sprint.

I love these types of games. I think Codemasters made a decent clone with Grand Prix Simulator that they released on pretty much all of the main 8bit platforms in the UK. Another twist on the theme was BMX simulator.

42 minutes ago, RJ said:

7800 lightgun game

I'd love to see some more lightgun games but the problem is for a developer looking to develop a lightgun game, the developer typically also needs a lightgun to test/develop with, and a CRT screen. Most of us have an LCD/LED screen as a daily driver and classic lightguns flat out do not work with modern displays. Under emulation, you can use a mouse, but it's not the same. Last time I checked, XE Lightguns were going for an average of £70 ($91) over here, so there's that investment too. Cheaper option would probably be a Sega SMS lightgun with an adaptor. Something I might look at in the future. 

Not sure how many folks have a lightgun setup either, to make it worthwhile.

13 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

I love these types of games. I think Codemasters made a decent clone with Grand Prix Simulator that they released on pretty much all of the main 8bit platforms in the UK. Another twist on the theme was BMX simulator.

I think Super Sprint on the ST is one of the finest playing implementations of that kind of game. The fact it plays nice on a stick is insane. But I also like Indy 500's more slidey controls on the driving controller. If you could somehow smash those two together I would be heaven. Some have come close, Skidmarks on the Amiga for example. But I still go back to Super Sprint on the ST and Indy 500 as my favourites.

13 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

I'd love to see some more lightgun games but the problem is for a developer looking to develop a lightgun game, the developer typically also needs a lightgun to test/develop with, and a CRT screen. Most of us have an LCD/LED screen as a daily driver and classic lightguns flat out do not work with modern displays. Under emulation, you can use a mouse, but it's not the same. Last time I checked, XE Lightguns were going for an average of £70 ($91) over here, so there's that investment too. Cheaper option would probably be a Sega SMS lightgun with an adaptor. Something I might look at in the future. 

Not sure how many folks have a lightgun setup either, to make it worthwhile.

@marauder666 has an XE lightgun I'm sure he could loan you. It's no GunCon that's for sure in that it's not the last word in accuracy (it aims a bit in one direction...). Also between the pair of us I'm sure we could get a CRT of some description over to you. We've a few kicking around. Though I think you're right. The demand for it is going to be super limited as there's so few of those lightguns out there. Probably less than the number of people running a CRT.

Edited by juansolo

15 minutes ago, juansolo said:

I think Super Sprint on the ST is one of the finest playing implementations of that kind of game. The fact it plays nice on a stick is insane. But I also like Indy 500's more slidey controls on the driving controller. If you could somehow smash those two together I would be heaven. Some have come close, Skidmarks on the Amiga for example. But I still go back to Super Sprint on the ST and Indy 500 as my favourites.

@marauder666 has an XE lightgun I'm sure he could loan you. It's no GunCon that's for sure in that it's not the last word in accuracy (it aims a bit in one direction...). Also between the pair of us I'm sure we could get a CRT of some description over to you. We've a few kicking around. Though I think you're right. The demand for it is going to be super limited as there's so few of those lightguns out there. Probably less than the number of people running a CRT.

I recently picked up a nice CRT (Sony Trinitron) but the damn thing is so big, I can't have it hooked up all the time in my office (limited space) as it's a bit of a beast and sits on the floor. I'm on the lookout for something smaller for running a CRT test setup, at least until I do some sort of re-org and get a stand for the Sony.

I'll get back to you on loaning the light gun, that would be great. :) 

As lightgun only would likely have limited appeal, it would make sense for any game to also add other control schemes, like mouse/trackball.

• Like 1

Muddy, just let me know and I'll get the gun sent.  I didnt pay anything like that for it.  Came in a lot of untested stuff.

Needed a good clean up, and a repair to cable, mice had nibbled on it, yummy!

Works ok, terrible accuracy, but you get used to where it fires.  The Koryuu adds a little latency so it doesnt work, not frames, but its off by half a scanline.

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2021 at 2:45 PM, SearsRoebuck said:

I would have added Mr. DO! to that list of choices.  I dislike every port of the game except for the much later SNES version which since its not an 8 bit system feels like cheating. 

I always thought the Atari8 version of Mr. Do was pretty good.   It has all the gameplay elements, music, cut-scenes.   Main issues are technical-  resolution limits and converting a vertical oriented arcade game to a horizontal-oriented TV.   The 7800 would have to deal with the same issues.

• Like 1

Well I'm gonna keep pushing for this port, I missed out on Crime Buster which I feel flew way under the radar & overlooked even by Atari fans, & I don't have an 800XL anymore to play it on. I do have the XG-1 & 3/4 of the 7800 gun games. I only wish I'd made this suggestion years ago when it was probably more likely to be made.

On 1/15/2021 at 1:45 PM, SearsRoebuck said:

My rule with ports is that if there is already a widely available 8 bit port on another console, I look at it as less of a priority.

The perfect case for a 7800 Crime Buster port. It only ever appeared on Atari XE systems.