IGNORED

Telnet bbsing and serial communications.

Bikerbob

Hey all, I am wondering if we can get some hard text up on this. 

I would like to understand how this works better, and having a page to refer to for anyone new might be nice.

I personally am USING Lantronix devices. which take the serial communication and translate that to telnet com protocal to be transmitted over the net. Something on the other end either converts it back or just receives the telnet communications.

The biggest one issue I am having with setting up a BBS - is connection speeds, negotiations. etc. 

The lantronix says it can set a maximum 115k speed. On an ST I am looking at 19200 but on a TT030 I am looking higher on the first port.  Possibly I might look at doing my board long term on a Dell D610 laptop that runs Linux. I can do com port EMU on Hatari with Linux, and could get TT030 speeds. But more to the point.

The Lantronix device does not do any negotiation on the serial side I think. It is looking for a specific baud rate, and does not move speeds up or down based on performace.

Many BBS with MODEMS - put out strings at higher then lower speeds to negotiate with the receiving modem to get a response - but of cource we are doing their through telnet now.. so is there any process like this anymore?

Point to my question is this..   I set my com port on the Atari to 19200 - I set the Lantronix device to 19200 - Can someone call me at 9600? or 4800? or 2400?   OR MUST it be a 19200 communication - OR is all of that pointless - because the serial communication takes place on each side of a telnet connection.. and only the baud rate on each side matching is what matters.

BUT - If someone calls me with an 8-bit computer that com program is set to 2400baud. so 2400 to the telnet - to me at 10/100 network speeds - translated to 19200 for my end. Does this work? or cts/rts would be required.. does the flow control here matter??

SEE my points?? how does different speeds effect things?? I have heard baud issues with the Fuji net.  Lucy esplain to me what is going on??

James

Edited by Bikerbob

Baudrate The unit and attached serial device, such as a modem, must agree on a speed or baud rate to use for the serial connection. Valid baud rates are 300, 600, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600 (default), 19200, 38400, 57600, and 115200 bits per second.

This is what the UDS manual states.. So my bbs program must be set to a specific baud rate. Say 19200  I set the UDS to 19200

That works!!! - but what if the caller via Telnet is on a machine at @2400?  My UDS according to the above does not negotiate slower speed?

James

As far as Atari Portfolio goes I either use a SI Wifi Simulant modem that is capable of 300 baud to 112400 (I Think) and yes I can connect to a BBS that is running on a UDS 100, I can try it out and let you all know, I was going to sell the SI wifi modem but now I am not too sure as you cannot get them any more.

I als have a few 28800 real USR modems with all cables and power supplies, those are fun to play around with on real hardware BBSes.

With traditional modems, the two modem speeds need to match. When the BBS uses a Hayes compatible modem, the BBS modem will adjust its baud rate to the caller's modem during the modem answer handhsake (e.g., when the BBS issues an ATA command).

This is not the case when you have an Internet between the caller and BBS. Instead, the baud rate on the BBS side only affects the speed that the BBS will transmit data. The baud rate on the caller side only affects the speed that it will read data from the Internet. 

On the Basement BBS, I lock the baud rate at 9600. I could lock it at 19.2K, but you don't see the BBS' ATASCII animation at that speed (it's all over if you blink). So, I lock the BBS' baud rate at 9600 baud. That means if someone logs on at 19.2K on their end, their effective baud rate is only 9600 baud. However, if they log on at 2400 baud rate, then their effective baud rate is 2400. 

This should also be the case with BBSs that use Lantronix boxes. Try logging into SFHQ and/or Dark Force at different baud rates. Both BBSs use Lantronix boxes. You will see that the connection works at a variety of baud rates.

To answer your other question...the Fujinet baud rate issue turned out to be a limitation of Mydos. Bobterm + Mydos + Fujinet can only use speeds up to 4800 baud. If you use Bobterm + SpartaDos + Fujinet, you can get up to 19.2K baud.

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka

Well I have ForeSight up and running really well.. except no one can connect remote. :(  I cannot seem to figure out what the issue is. 

ForeSight wants ATS0=0 so that there is no auto answer. IT wants the RING~   It wants ATV=1 so that it gets the Full responses.  I have those set. I THINK. But I am not getting any joy. :(

James

5 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

Well I have ForeSight up and running really well.. except no one can connect remote. :(  I cannot seem to figure out what the issue is. 

ForeSight wants ATS0=0 so that there is no auto answer. IT wants the RING~   It wants ATV=1 so that it gets the Full responses.  I have those set. I THINK. But I am not getting any joy. :(

James

The Lantronix devices do not implement the entire Hayes command set. You should check the manual to see if these AT commands are supported. Does Foresight allow you to edit the modem init string? If so, maybe there is something else you could use.

-JP

Edit: I just tried your BBS just now. It connects but nothing happens.

Edited by JohnPolka

3 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

If anyone has time, I would appreciate if you would attempt to login.

bikerbobsclubhouse.ddns.net,10001

I get it to connect, but no login, no idea why.. what its waiting for.. whats missing.  Any ideas?

James

Unable to connect to BBS, modem connection seems fine.

5 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

James

When you say no one can connect remote, do you mean that you can connect from inside your network, or just only on the console?

So what happened to JP and Triads is exactly what I was getting.   

I have found another issue, I can edit the INIT string.. the issue is.. the UDS-10 will not take a STRING.. it will only accept individual commands..  SO I cannot put ATS0=0,v=1,E=1   THose are the things that the BBS software says it needs.. NOW the UDS-10 does understand all those commands.. but it will only accept them one at a time.

James

OK, seems to be also now an issue with PORT FWDING with my HITRON 4582 modem.   SO not sure if the BBS software is even getting the chance to answer at the moment.

WOW.. I have DMZ  I have downed the Firewall, nothing gets through.

James

Well now what I did because my one ISP was giving me hassles, I moved everything over to our new ISP (for streaming and Video conferences.. better band width) but this ISP seems to put restrictions on what you can do.. :( nothing is easy anymore.

• 3 months later...

Recently discovering Ice-t and a great pic out of my sophia2 130xe I have been doing a bunch of bbsing with “t”.

however it seems to not like Sparta dos x. Has anyone gotten it to work properly on SDX?  When I use sdx and I log on to an ansi color bbs it spits out garbage. As seen on the pic I attached. 

works perfect with mydos but sdx seems to be an issue. 

just thought I would ask Incase I have a setting wrong. 

C67A741D-E980-4590-98A6-167F70CA7F76.jpeg