IGNORED

Metroidvania for Atari Jaguar - anyone?

phoboz

5 hours ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Before the edit 1 hour ago the Wikipedia page for Castlevania SOTN said action adventure, platformer

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania:_Symphony_of_the_Night

This is also the genre listed for Super Metroid and Metroid Zero Mission.

Not really a mystery, its action adventure and platformer.

Another game that comes to mind is ALIEN RAMPAGE for DOS. I can't find any info anywhere on that game anymore. Its like it no longer exists. It was a cool example though.

If I tell you a game is a "metroidvania", you know exactly what kind of a game it is. But if I tell you a game is "action adventure game", it could be Metroid, but it could also be Resident Evil, so why is it wrong to be talking about metroidvania as a genre?

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

If I tell you a game is a "metroidvania", you know exactly what kind of a game it is. But if I tell you a game is "action adventure game", it could be Metroid, but it could also be Resident Evil, so why is it wrong to be talking about metroidvania as a genre?

Resident Evil is not a platform action adventure game. Platform action adventure game. Or  Run and gun.

Just because everyone likes to say it's a genre doesn't mean that it is.

This is just like all of the memes going around these days of people blowing on N64 carts to get them working. This is false. This was never a thing. (NES and SNES yes) Nobody ever blew on N64 carts because there is a black plastic dust protector inside of every cart right at the connector so what would you actually be blowing? Yet for some strange reason it has been widely accepted as gaming fact/history.

Metroidvania is not a genre. Its not even a subgenre. It a weird way to describe a action adventure side scrolling game that has been widely accepted as ok and I guess is trending among gamers?

Hell I dont know. Anyway I gotta go check out this new zelda-roids style game....

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, agradeneu said:

I recommend reading that article then:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

BTW I was actually onboard with your argument about the definition of pixel art FYI.

But you will never sell me on metroidvania being a genre. No way. I would call this game phoboz is making a Metroid clone. But even then its still an action/adventure platformer.

Just now, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

BTW I was actually onboard with your argument about the definition of pixel art FYI.

But you will never sell me on metroidvania being a genre. No way. I would call this game phoboz is making a Metroid clone. But even then its still an action/adventure platformer.

Yeah ok, np. These terms are not scientific anyway. It's just funny you never heard of it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Just because everyone likes to say it's a genre doesn't mean that it is.

This is just like all of the memes going around these days of people blowing on N64 carts to get them working. This is false. This was never a thing. (NES and SNES yes) Nobody ever blew on N64 carts because there is a black plastic dust protector inside of every cart right at the connector so what would you actually be blowing? Yet for some strange reason it has been widely accepted as gaming fact/history.

What are you talking about with the N64 carts all having dust protectors? I have sold thousands of N64 carts and do not remember any of them having dust protectors. I think you are mistaken. There might be one or two odd-ball cart releases with them, but I can tell ya most(if not all) do not have those. I also have clean many hundreds of N64 carts that were green and had dust and shit from people blowing in/on them.  They are not as bad as NES, because the NES system was not as good at playing dirty carts (compared toploaders ex: snes, N64 & NES toploaders).

N64.jpg.102b64540723fca2f13d0bdbe26adb1e.jpg

Edited by Machine

50 minutes ago, Machine said:

What are you talking about with the N64 carts all having dust protectors? I have sold thousands of N64 carts and do not remember any of them having dust protectors. I think you are mistaken. There might be one or two odd-ball cart releases with them, but I can tell ya most(if not all) do not have those. I also have clean many hundreds of N64 carts that were green and had dust and shit from people blowing in/on them.  They are not as bad as NES, because the NES system was not as good at playing dirty carts (compared toploaders ex: snes, N64 & NES toploaders).

N64.jpg.102b64540723fca2f13d0bdbe26adb1e.jpg

The black plastic piece right there inside of every single cart you just showed in your pic. Its SOLID BLACK CANT MISS IT. Protects the inside of the cart from dust. I guess you never noticed it all of these years.

You DO SEE BLACK RIGHT?

Just for you Tom. This piece of black plastic is a dust protector that prevents dust from going inside of the cart. It you blow into the cart you are just blowing into the dust protector.

received_766088894257766.thumb.jpeg.55a1e2f72dc24f377d5566587ea2dc40.jpeg

So next time you disassemble an N64 cart to clean it you can identify that black piece of plastic is actually a dust protector. If you have cleaned the carts out by dissembly you would already be familiar with the main parts of the cart.

Dust protector

Heat shield

Cartridge pcb

Anyone blowing into an N64 cart is..... "Special" because they are literally blowing spit right back in their own face as they are only blowing onto a piece of plastic. Any semblance  of an N64 game working from blowing into it is merely the edge connector getting brushed off from inserting and reinserting into the console.

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES

49 minutes ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Just for you Tom. This piece of black plastic is a dust protector that prevents dust from going inside of the cart. It you blow into the cart you are just blowing into the dust protector.

received_766088894257766.thumb.jpeg.55a1e2f72dc24f377d5566587ea2dc40.jpeg

So next time you disassemble an N64 cart to clean it you can identify that black piece of plastic is actually a dust protector. If you have cleaned the carts out by dissembly you would already be familiar with the main parts of the cart.

Dust protector

Heat shield

Cartridge pcb

Anyone blowing into an N64 cart is..... "Special" because they are literally blowing spit right back in their own face as they are only blowing onto a piece of plastic. Any semblance  of an N64 game working from blowing into it is merely the edge connector getting brushed off from inserting and reinserting into the console.

Jesus Jeff. The black does NOT cover the teeth of the cart.  You need a clue.  The TEETH are what people are blowing on, not the board. Even when someone shows you why  you are wrong, you got to try and spin it and try to weasel your way out of being wrong. The is no way the black piece covers the teeth of the N64 cart. It stops dust from going up into the board, but the TEETH are exposed exactly like the NES and SNES.

Edited by Machine
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Machine said:

Jesus Jeff. The black does NOT cover the teeth of the cart.  You need need a clue.

Right it doesn't cover the edge connector of the pcb but in fact protects dust from getting inside the cart as the enclosure piece is nearly air tight.

As I already stated before blowing on the cart connector doesn't do jack. If you or people you know THINK they are doing something special to get the cart working by blowing into it you are probably only scraping off the connector as you remove and insert the cart into into the n64. Which also has dust protecion. Little grey doors. The Nintendo 64 console is not a console that is famous for "blowing into the carts" because of these dust protection features. Despite apparently you and others trying to rewrite history. I have never known anyone to blow into an N64 cart and if I ever saw such a thing I would smack said person in the back of the head and ask them what they were on.

There is no clue to be gotten as I have owned every single title available for the N64. I have had the system since September 29 1996 and not a single cart I have loaded has not booted. I also know other people who own N64s and blowing into the carts is not a thing. Its misinformation and apparently a new trend of useless blowing into the cart being started by people who are either too young to remember that N64 is quality shit and just works or older people who have forgotten and are mixing them up with NES and SNES.

But if you like blowing into n64 carts by all means continue. Would be interesting to see an N64 game that just wont boot without it or an N64 game that wont boot at all. I do hope that when you find this elusive N64 cart that needs a good blowing that you first try inserting and removing and repeating a couple of times BEFORE you actually blow into it, because then when it magically boots you will have a clue as to what you just did

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES

13 minutes ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Right it doesn't cover the edge connector of the pcb but in fact protects dist from getting inside the cart as the enclosure piece is nearly air tight.

As I already stated before blowing on the cart connector doesn't do jack. If you or people you know THINK they are doing something special to get the cart working by blowing into it you are probably only scraping off the connector as you remove and insert the cart into into the n64. Which also has dust protecion. Little grey doors. The Nintendo 64 console is not a console that is famous for "blowing into the carts" because of these dust protection features. Despite apparently you and others trying to rewrite history. I have never known anyone to blow into an N64 cart and if I ever saw such a thing I would smack said person in the back of the head and ask them what they were on.

There is no clue to be gotten as I have owned every single title available for the N64. I have had the system since September 29 1996 and not a single cart I have loaded has not booted. I also know other people who own N64s and blowing into the carts is not a thing. Its misinformation and apparently a new trend of useless blowing into the cart being started by people who are either too young to remember that N64 is quality shit and just works or older people who have forgotten and are mixing them up with NES and SNES.

But if you like blowing into n64 carts by all means continue. Would be interesting to see an N64 game that just wont boot without it or an N64 game that wont boot at all. I do hope that when you find this elusive N64 cart that needs a good blowing that you first tryi inserting and removing and repeating a couple of times BEFORE you actually blow into it, because then when it magically boots you will have a clue as to what you just did

The teeth are what people blow on. And the TEETH on the N64, SNES and NES are ALL exposed. People blow on carts because the moisture from your breath gets on the teeth and people believe it helps make better contact. 

There is no difference between those 3 carts as far as the teeth and the rest of the boards being exposed or not exposed.

RE-READ your post. You said "This is just like all of the memes going around these days of people blowing on N64 carts to get them working. This is false. This was never a thing. (NES and SNES yes)"

All three have the same basic design. THE TEETH ARE EXPOSED on all three and the boards are covered. The NES and SNES covered the rest of the board with the cart shell. On the N64, they covered it with the black piece, but it covers exactly the same parts.

You also said "Nobody ever blew on N64 carts because there is a black plastic dust protector inside of every cart right at the connector so what would you actually be blowing?"

They are blowing on the exact same thing as the NES and SNES, the TEETH!!!! The black piece does not cover the teeth. 

Dude just stop. You are full of it.

Edited by Machine
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

n fact protects dust from getting inside the cart as the enclosure piece is nearly air tight.

'nearly air tight' - a phrase meant to convery 'full of holes air can easily get through' apparently.  Wonder what 'bulletproof' means?

Jeff, please don't design any spaceships.

image.thumb.png.e4212efc7e686ce83fcfa6e616637f36.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Machine said:

The teeth are what people blow on. And the TEETH on the N64, SNES and NES are ALL exposed. People blow on carts because the moisture from your breath gets on the teeth and people believe it helps make better contact. 

There is no difference between those 3 carts as far as the teeth and the rest of the boards being exposed or not exposed.

RE-READ your post. You said "This is just like all of the memes going around these days of people blowing on N64 carts to get them working. This is false. This was never a thing. (NES and SNES yes)"

All three have the same basic design. THE TEETH ARE EXPOSED on all three and the boards are covered. The NES and SNES covered the rest of the board with the cart shell. On the N64, they covered it with the black piece, but it covers exactly the same parts.

You also said "Nobody ever blew on N64 carts because there is a black plastic dust protector inside of every cart right at the connector so what would you actually be blowing?"

They are blowing on the exact same thing as the NES and SNES, the TEETH!!!! The black piece does not cover the teeth. 

Dude just stop. You are full of it.

So you were blowing on N64 carts then? We all just blew on our N64 carts because it was a common thing then huh? So it was a thing? Really? You are gonna sit there and try and tell me you have N64 carts that wont boot and you blow on them to get them working? Really? Whos full of it? Show me a video of an n64 cart NOT WORKING and you blowing into it to fix it

When you say things like "people believe the moisture in their breath fixes it" it sounds like you don't believe the BS you are saying.

I guess the black piece is NOT a dust protector then it's just a doo-dad. Black piece is just a doo-dad gotcha! Totally down with that

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, CyranoJ said:

'nearly air tight' - a phrase meant to convery 'full of holes air can easily get through' apparently

image.thumb.png.e4212efc7e686ce83fcfa6e616637f36.png

He is just gonna try and worm his way into a totally different argument. There is something that prevents him from admitting when he is wrong and even when you show him, he talks circles. Exhausting.

I owned several video game stores and helped dozens of people open their own stores. People blew on NES, and then SNES, and finally N64(all for the same reason, to wet the teeth).

I even have seen people blow on Gamecube discs and then whip them with their shirts, strange.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

So you were blowing on N64 carts then? We all just blew on our N64 carts because it was a common thing then huh? So it was a thing? Really? You are gonna sit there and try and tell me you have N64 carts that wont boot and you blow on them to get them working? Really? Whos full of it? Show me a video of an n64 cart NOT WORKING and you blowing into it to fix it

No, I didn't, but I have seen hundreds of people do it on all 3 systems. I used q-tips and a mix of rubbing alcohol and water. I have seen the effects of blowing on carts.... dirt and green oxidation. I have spent hours upon hours cleaning carts in order to re-sell them. N64 as well. People dont always keep their systems clean and the system gets dirty so they blow on the cart to get it to work. It does actually work, but in the long run it causes problems. I do not recommend it.

10 minutes ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

So what is the black piece Sauron? Is it a doo-dad? Its a dust protector. Thats literally what it is and that is what I said.

To keep the board from having shit drop in. Kids will jam pennies(etc.) up there.   Why do you think people blow on the carts teeth. You do realize people are blowing on the teeth, not the board inside????

And there is no reason to open a N64 cart to clean the teeth cuz they are EXPOSED!!!!!

Look at the NES and SNES cart. Those boards are enclosed just like the N64.

The SNES and NES(and S. Famicom below) all have the teeth exposed and the board covered. People blow on them for the exact same reason.

Now stop JEFF.

snes.thumb.jpg.59ee84ad13dfdc5b4067f2d2a7addf83.jpgn64c.thumb.jpg.fd57ccbeb3014af6f12db764b3ff923f.jpg

Edited by Machine
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

So what is the black piece Sauron? Is it a doo-dad? Its a dust protector. Thats literally what it is and that is what I said.

The last thing I want is to get dragged into one your pedantic arguments. If you don't know the difference between a dust protector that protects the populated circuit board of a cart and one that protects the contacts, then nothing I say is going to make any difference in preventing you from further embarrassing yourself.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The last thing I want is to get dragged into one your pedantic arguments. If you don't know the difference between a dust protector that protects the populated circuit board of a cart and one that protects the contacts, then nothing I say is going to make any difference in preventing you from further embarrassing yourself.

I never said it protected the contacts. I actually said it protects the inside of the cart which is what it does. I am well aware of its function but nice try. So you are acusing me of not knowing something when what you just stated is exactly what I said?

11 minutes ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

I never said it protected the contacts. I actually said it protects the inside of the cart which is what it does. I am well aware of its function but nice try. So you are acusing me of not knowing something when what you just stated is exactly what I said?

You are amazing. You said "Nobody ever blew on N64 carts because there is a black plastic dust protector inside of every cart right at the connector so what would you actually be blowing?"

WELL JEFF, they are blowing on the exact same thing they blew on the NES carts and SNES carts, the teeth.  I guess you did not realize that. NOW you know.

Edited by Machine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Machine said:

To keep the board from having shit drop in. Kids will jam pennies(etc.) up there.   Why do you think people blow on the carts teeth. You do realize people are blowing on the teeth, not the board inside????

And there is no reason to open a N64 cart to clean the teeth cuz they are EXPOSED!!!!!

Wtf I know what the black piece is I told YOU thats what it was. It is a dust protector to protect the inside of the cart. Thats what I said. I never said it covered the edge connector.

As far as the cart connector getting blown on sure man keep doing that. Its still wrong and is likely causing whatever games you cant get to boot as the edge connectors are rusting from spit. 

I have owned these games for over 20 years and the same system. I have never once cleaned my N64 (its pretty dirty on the outside) and I still dont have to blow in any carts. They boot every time.

Btw alcohol can also damage the actual cart connector on the N64 itself. But do what you do man!

Just now, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Wtf I know what the black piece is I told YOU thats what it was. It is a dust protector to protect the inside of the cart. Thats what I said. I never said it covered the edge connector.

As far as the cart connector getting blown on sure man keep doing that. Its still wrong and is likely causing whatever games you cant get to boot as the edge connectors are rusting from spit. 

I have owned these games for over 20 years and the same system. I have never once cleaned my N64 (its pretty dirty on the outside) and I still dont have to blow in any carts. They boot every time.

Btw alcohol can also damage the actual cart connector on the N64 itself. But do what you do man!

Change argument when you are proven wrong.

If you ever bought the cleaning kits back in the day, that is what was used.

When I ran my game stores, we called nintendo and they just recommended 70% rubbing alcohol and 30% water (mixture).

• Like 1