IGNORED

Bunch of random pics of my basement collections over the years...

14 hours ago, McCallister said:

Sweet room of dials! I can't stop looking.

My favorite is the one above pacman, I like how it’s built into the wall. 

Thanks man! The TV in that pic was purchased from me by a company that (supposedly) finds vintage props for TV/movies/etc.. He said that TV is going to be in a commercial someday (or maybe already has by now?) That wall ended up getting damaged because the basement flooded, wood rotted, etc.. lol. Was fun while it lasted, I played vintage saturday morning cartoons on it, made real good ambiance for playing old games on a weekend morning.

15 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Wow. I can look at this over and over and over. So much goodness here from the various CRTs, commodores, magazine rack. Loving it. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks man, I'm kind of obsessed with snagging old TV's off craigslist. I find a lot in rural MN where they were actually being used pretty much right up until I pick them up (owners usually just bought their first flatscreen lol)

Just now, Crazy Climber said:

Thanks man, I'm kind of obsessed with snagging old TV's off craigslist. I find a lot in rural MN where they were actually being used pretty much right up until I pick them up (owners usually just bought their first flatscreen lol)

Clearly I live in the wrong state.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Clearly I live in the wrong state.

Well, I don't want to undersell it since it is still a bit of work. Many of the better ones have been a pretty long drive, sometimes a few hours. I'm not the only one after them around here so you have to be quick.

What I hate the most is the damaged ones I find in the trash (yeah, I check that too lol) the scrappers around here always cut the cords off for the few cents of copper. Some of the more ambitious ones smash them open for the internals...if I was a rapper I would pour some of my 40oz out for them, it's so sad seeing a sweet, most likely working, classic TV smashed to bits for a few cents of metal...

Here is my advice if you are hunting for one...

* If it's "free" offer them money ($10-$20+) make sure to put it in the title of email, this will bump you ahead of everyone else

* Outside of the basic keywords that everyone uses (retro, gaming, CRT, vintage, etc) get really creative with searches

(examples) - woodgrain, box TV, CUBE TV, console TV, dial TV, antique TV, heavy TV, UGLY TV, Old TV, etc...

Sometimes the really old people still put "television" instead of TV. I even got a hit with "transistor" before lol

*Search by brand with no other keywords - Zenith TV, Admiral TV, Quasar TV, Montgomery Ward TV, Sears TV, etc...

* Don't be afraid to snag a Black and white TV. In my experience 50% of these are actually color. Younger people just assume they are black and white because they have no way to test them (they don't know what RF/etc is)

* Use colors in your search "Red TV" "Orange TV" White TV" some really cool TV's from the 70's were wild colors

*If possible go pick up RIGHT AWAY because remember, you're not the only one after it lol

-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Those pictures make me wish I had a basement!  :)

haha, yeah, having 500+ sq ft to hoard stuff is pretty fun, on the other hand, sometimes the amount of stuff I pack down there can become a heavy weight on my back lol. Sometimes (like right now) I deck out this little 80 sq ft (closet?) I have down there just to have some stricter limitations. I usually end up with a much stronger/better collection overall since it's just the stuff I like the very best/etc..

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2021 at 10:54 AM, sramirez2008 said:

@Crazy Climber You are clearly the CRT whisperer.?

Just scored another one, this one was even on my route home so I didn't have to drive an hour+

1988 Emerson 13" color TV, great working condition! Not bad at all for 20 bucks...

Found this one by using the keywords "woodgrain box TV"

20210331_141527.jpg

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, McCallister said:

Nice pickup!

You can only imagine the horror that was witnessed the local recycling place earlier this week. At least a half dozen tv's like that all destined to be separated from their wire coat hangers for eternity.

Oh I know man...I find them all the time in alleys with cut cords or even SMASHED open... I'd imagine recycling centers would go through these on a weekly basis. 

6 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

Just scored another one, this one was even on my route home so I didn't have to drive an hour+

1988 Emerson 13" color TV, great working condition! Not bad at all for 20 bucks...

Found this one by using the keywords "woodgrain box TV"

20210331_141527.jpg

That's a great looking TV.?

• 5 months later...