IGNORED

HSC18 Round 1: NIBBLER

1 hour ago, McKong said:

Hello my name is Royce, I'm 4, and I played some more on 'the snake that gets all the dots' game today and scored 3490, with a little bit of help from my Daddy 

2 hours ago, Alicja - Caco's daughter said:

Hi. My name is Alicja. I'm 6 years old :) My first try - 1580

23 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

Welcome whippersnappers :thumbsup: :-D

I think we're seeing "High Score Club - The Next Generation" beginning now. In 20-30 years, when our arthritis gets too bad to hold a controller, these kids will pick up the torch and carry on...

• Like 2

Wave 11 59,200

Seriously with some of the scores on here and the speed of this thing, some of you are robots for sure ?

Edit - Just realised that my first posted score was higher than this. Way LONG day today ...

Edited by spookt
Stupidity
  • Like 1

Nibbler: 258,270 (wave 22)

20210122_005555.thumb.jpg.98975a4576a1f0533c22029d7ba4f2ea.jpg

I'm beginning to learn the art of "strategic stopping". I used to try to complete every wave in one movement: finding the best path and memorizing it. But that begins to become impossible at higher speeds - if I miss one turn, it throws off the whole pattern and then I die.

Finding good places to stop and plan my next move seems to work better for me. As far as I can tell, Nibbler's movement works like this:

• If Nibbler can move straight ahead in the direction that he is facing, he will. Nibbler won't make turns unless the joystick is pressed.
  • If Nibbler runs into a wall and has only one way to turn, he will do so and keep moving. No joystick movement is necessary.
  • If Nibbler runs into a wall but has TWO options, he will STOP and remain still until the joystick is moved.

Basically, you can stop at a T-intersection. Just be careful not to sit still for too long... if you wait more than a few seconds without eating a dot, the counter begins to decrease VERY rapidly until it runs out or you eat another dot.

For those of you who have gotten to higher levels: does the speed/difficulty ever plateau? Do the levels/dot patterns start to repeat?

Edited by graywest
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, graywest said:

For those of you who have gotten to higher levels: does the speed/difficulty ever plateau? Do the levels/dot patterns start to repeat?

The speed continues and then lapses back and builds up again, I suspect it's a register that wraps round back to 0 after gettting to 255 etc as they never thought anyone would get that far, but it could be deliberate as you do get used to the speed (well I did when I was good and had a good stick last time we played!).

There are a few "nibbler warp speed effects" and I think the dot paterns are the main variation so yes the levels do repeat. I'm stuck in the 400K zone at the moment but am re-learing the screens so by the end of the round I hope to get further :o

• Like 1

Welcome again to the new players, the old players and especially the very young players :thumbsup:

Here is the first table of the season and yes I'm top, but my scores are getting much lower by the day so with over another week of play there's plenty of time to improve.

Typically scoring is 12pts for top down to 2pts for 11th and 12th, with extra scoring places for each player from 9pts downwards, it looks something like this:

NIBBLER

1st   therealbountybob (p)         510,210  12pts
  2nd   McKong (p)                    403,100  11pts
  3rd   graywest (n)                  258,270  10pts
  4th   Deteacher (n)                 213,600  9pts
  5th   Cebus Capucinis            172,930  9pts
  6th   Caco                           144,210  9pts
  7th   spookt                        128,180  8pts
  8th   8BIT 1337                   119,150  8pts
  9th   Gury                           110,820  8pts
 10th   8bitguy1                     72,880  7pts
 11th   Preppie                       70,280  7pts
 12th   Sikor                          62,810  6pts
 13th   Sleepy                        60,230  6pts
 14th   thank you                    55,610  5pts
 15th   carlsson                       50,480  5pts
 16th   chevymad                    48,290  4pts
 17th   skr                              48,000  4pts
 18th   jblenkle                        43,780  3pts
 19th   RedThunder                  40,090  3pts
 20th   NIKON                         25,550  2pts
 21st   Alicja (Caco Jr)               1,580  2pts
 22nd   Royce (McKong Jr)          1,520  2pts

The (p) is PAL and (n) is NTSC just to give a guide, I suspect the game is much faster on NTSC and much more difficult!

If I've missed anyone (regulars will not be surprised) just post to say!

PLEASE DO NOT EDIT ANY SCORES POSTED ALREADY AS I WILL NOT SEE THEM!!

PLENTY OF TIME TO JOIN IN EVERYONE :waving:

• Like 2