IGNORED

HSC18 Round 1: NIBBLER

On 1/24/2021 at 6:26 PM, Deteacher said:

This game was last played in 2009.  TRBB blew away the competition with a whopping 1.8 million points!  Once you reach level 38, the game calms down and the speed resets.  I'm only up to level 23, so I'm not sure how much further I'll get (especially when I keep losing lives on the earlier rounds.)  ?

Yeah that guy sure was good :grin:

Current trbb has parked his creaking Quickshots and convinced an old favourite stick to work so might be some more improvements to come but for now: 569,200 :pirate:

Better get the R2 Poll sorted eh?!

Dwaine Nibbly.jpg

• Like 3

I tried again tonight but couldn't better last night's score. I think I'm maxed out for this round.

Level 27 (NTSC) is a killer!

By the way... I've seen some discussion of controllers. What is everyone using?

My choice might be kind of weird, but I've had good luck with the Atari Flashback 2 controller. I epoxied the threaded bit of the stick to the base so it doesn't come unscrewed during play sessions. It's very responsive, tactile, and I just like the way it feels for some reason.

Edited by graywest
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, graywest said:

I tried again tonight but couldn't better last night's score. I think I'm maxed out for this round.

My choice might be kind of weird, but I've had good luck with the Atari Flashback 2 controller. I epoxied the threaded bit of the stick to the base so it doesn't come unscrewed during play sessions. It's very responsive, tactile, and I just like the way it feels for some reason.

I'm keeping stumm, I'm hoping it's red! This might be key to Nibbler supremdome (i was sure that is a word but can't find it)! I wish I could remember what stick I used before, got a feeling it's lent to a not so young now Gwobby and is probably in his mum's attic ?

• Like 1

I'm using a Pointmaster, which isn't great but seems to be the best in terms of longer throw. The CX-40 did pretty well for me too, but I need to open all mine up and repair them.

I tried the Battlestation II but the shorter throw means you accidentally hit a diagonal occasionally, which Nibbler will 50/50 interpret as the right/wrong direction. I also tried a Slik Stik but had the same problem.

It seems like the perfect joystick for this game is one that has a short enough throw that you can easily react, but long enough that you don't accidentally hit a diagonal. A pure 4-way stick would probably be the best bet.  I'd imagine a Wico bat with a mid-length throw would be perfect. I bought one last week but, of course, with postal delivery being what it is, who knows when it will show up....

• Like 2

Well, I believe most of you already know my weapon of choice. And no, contrary to popular belief it is not limited to Asteroids. The only type of games it doesn't play well are the ones with pure diagonals (plus that I found that at least LA SWAT crashes randomly using my joystick, whether it is a short or accidental combination of multiple otherwise "impossible" directions at once).

post-5454-0-07810100-1556812872.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Well, I believe most of you already know my weapon of choice. And no, contrary to popular belief it is not limited to Asteroids. The only type of games it doesn't play well are the ones with pure diagonals (plus that I found that at least LA SWAT crashes randomly using my joystick, whether it is a short or accidental combination of multiple otherwise "impossible" directions at once).

Nice! I've never seen one of those before... what does "Astro Blast" mode do?

It equals auto fire. While many systems have 5V in the joystick port, this one requires a 1.5V battery for the auto fire to work. Or I should say required, because the original electronics have been ripped many years ago so only the PCB remains, with replaced joystick cable soldered to the buttons. From the beginning the fire button was red, but somehow along the way it was replaced by a white button. These controllers are mid-priced, not super common but apparently enough of them on eBay to not having trouble finding one.

• Like 2

59.520 (level 11) Not much progress. I noticed that playing bad somehow artificially increases your in-between scores as you score a lot of points when finishing a level with a new Nibbler and just a few items left to gobble up, meaning lots of Bonus time. Playing without losing Nibblers at the lower levels my scores were much lower at the end of each level than for my previous games. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

post-5454-0-07810100-1556812872.jpg

I have one of these, it's pretty fun for some games. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, graywest said:

I'm using my trusty CX-40...nice and broken in.  :)

• Like 2