IGNORED

My experiments with Atari 7800

Eagle

On 9/13/2022 at 11:14 PM, Stephen said:

You've really laid the gauntlet for showing the 7800 was more capable than the GTIA/ANTIC combo from the 8-bit line.  I'd love to see a FRIENDLY competition for what can be achieved, best of the best in a demo situation, not general game.  Wonder if you could drop this in the 5200 programming forum and spark a friendly competition, with no bickering, no mud slinging, just working code allowed.

Ok, I just want to ask:

CAN THE ANTIC/GTIA DO 512*16 SPRITES??????

On 8/21/2022 at 3:08 PM, Trebor said:

What you did state though:

The above statement, RevEng quoted and responded with the following:

After which, you responded with:

RevEng, in turn, replied:

Your rebuttal states:

Perhaps it is a miscommunication or misunderstanding, but from stating: "You'll need to switch to asm to show real dedicated love.Not just for 7800 but to truly love programming" to the statements, "To get the most out of the hardware though it does take what I said,at the end of the day assembly is needed for the most sophisticated games there is no way around that", is moving the goalposts of what RevEng was addressing.

No one was debating, "To get the most out of the hardware though it does take what I said,at the end of the day assembly is needed for the most sophisticated games there is no way around that."  No one was trying to broaden your view surrounding "Learning programming takes years in asm,those that do have earned respect,only in 2022 are others trying to claim very hard working people are in the same class as others.life does not work that way".  The latter went from a moving the goalposts response to providing a strawman retort.

The thrust of what prompted the responses goes back to the statement: "You'll need to switch to asm to show real dedicated love.Not just for 7800 but to truly love programming"

The quoted and in bold statement above, is what yielded the replies from RevEng and the statements from Karl.

Instead of, "You'll need to switch to asm to show real dedicated love.Not just for 7800 but to truly love programming", if perhaps the statements were more along the lines of "I discovered once I switched to programming in asm, I truly loved programming", or "From my experience, in order to bring out the best in a system when programming for it, I needed to switch to asm, and then also found myself truly loving to program", it would be taken in a completely different light.

Anyhow, it's a great hobby and certainly the 7800 platform, and programming for it, can be an exciting, wonderful, and adventurous time, often incorporating an individual's talent and passions or passionate perspectives.

Ok. @Traxx, I do want to say one thing in your favor and that is Speed. ASM will always be the fastest.

But, he is right on basically everything else.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/15/2022 at 5:54 PM, Ecernosoft said:

I request one thing from you @Eagle:

MAKE. A. VIDEO. GAME.

Here in Poland we used to say "calm your disheveled head".

There are many(!) plans to do games by there's also Real LifeTM.

So stay tuned, kid. 😁

Edited by miker
  • Haha 1

Just for kicks,  I thought I'd translate this Internet Speak into Relaxed Conversation:

On 10/15/2022 at 9:54 AM, Ecernosoft said:

I request one thing from you @Eagle:

MAKE. A. VIDEO. GAME.

Translation:  Ecernosoft:  I really enjoy your work Eagle!  I hope you can one day,  use your skills to make a video game.

43 minutes ago, miker said:

Here in Poland we used to say "calm your disheveled head".

There are many(!) plans to do games by there's also Real LifeTM.

So stay tuned, kid. 😁

Translation:   miker:  Don't worry my friend!  I'm sure he'll do it eventually,  but sometimes Real LifeTM gets in the way!

40 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

Well, duh. 

Translation:  Ecernosoft:  Yeah,  I know :)   I'm just trying to be supportive.

:)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, GoldLeader said:

Just for kicks,  I thought I'd translate this Internet Speak into Relaxed Conversation:

Translation:  Ecernosoft:  I really enjoy your work Eagle!  I hope you can one day,  use your skills to make a video game.

Translation:   miker:  Don't worry my friend!  I'm sure he'll do it eventually,  but sometimes Real LifeTM gets in the way!

Translation:  Ecernosoft:  Yeah,  I know :)   I'm just trying to be supportive.

:)

Hahaha.

What, is @Traxx going around telling you I'm just a teenager? :) Or do you guys think I speak like I'm texting? (Without the short cuts like u, ty, r, y, etc)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

Hahaha.

What, is @Traxx going around telling you I'm just a teenager? :) Or do you guys think I speak like I'm texting? (Without the short cuts like u, ty, r, y, etc)

Actually didn't you post that you were just a teenager?  14 years old I believe you said in a different thread.

At any rate, I was just having a little fun with language and maybe the idea that if your perception was different,  for example if internet anonymity and the extreme way many people online get their point across were removed,   and it was more like a face to face conversation...well...

Just now, GoldLeader said:

Actually didn't you post that you were just a teenager?  14 years old I believe you said in a different thread.

I have, multiple times.'

Just now, GoldLeader said:

At any rate, I was just having a little fun with language and maybe the idea that if your perception was different,  for example if internet anonymity and the extreme way many people online get their point across were removed,   and it was more like a face to face conversation...well...

I'm not going against you, I thought it was pretty funny too ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

I'm not going against you, I thought it was pretty funny too ;)

And what some realize,...is that with some drama and confrontation removed,  the conversation flows better...

Of course, it doesn't have to be as saccharine as I made it;  That was just for laughs and maybe to prove a point ;)

42 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

And what some realize,...is that with some drama and confrontation removed,  the conversation flows better.

You can't be more right.

42 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

Of course, it doesn't have to be as saccharine as I made it;  That was just for laughs and maybe to prove a point ;)

Yeah. Mission not failed Successfuly.

• Like 1