IGNORED

My experiments with Atari 7800

Eagle

The sounds are really cool. It appears that a lot of the appeal on the SN comes from the ability to vary the frequency in small steps to provide a living sound.

Unfortunately I have no experience in using these kind of instruments. I can play on the piano, a little guitar and I also have a multitimbral synth at home. As memory is very limited on the 7800 it would be useful to create repeating patterns.

Is it possible to connect a keyboard (like Nord Grand) via MIDI to Furnace Tracker?

Or could you download the sounds from the SN to create an instrument on the keyboard?

Or do you just have to learn to "play" on the Furnace Tracker?

The SN76489AN sounds really great! Something like this would be perfect for composing tunes for Wizzy.

Almost done. I tested on Dragonfly

Also @Trebor tested on MCP, Concerto and MiSTer (concerto has some problems with sound at $450 but I will fix this)

Need to do some better Title screen and ending.

Also graphics is 4 colors for now and no animation (animation was copied to the chars).

But probably I will upgrade to 25 colors and use direct mode.

I'm looking for graphicians.

Maybe @TIX @Defender_2600 ? Anyone who is interested? Please PM me :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbo_(video_game)

see video bellow from A7800 emulator:

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

Almost done. I tested on Dragonfly

Also @Trebor tested on MCP, Concerto and MiSTer (concerto has some problems with sound at $450 but I will fix this)

Also graphics is 4 colors for now and no animation (animation was copied to the chars).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbo_(video_game)

see video bellow from A7800 emulator:

Robbo ?

i.love this game. Is there a rom available?

I remember, a friend wanted to.port this, some years ago. But I only got a demo.

Greetings Walter

45 minutes ago, gambler172 said:

/i.love this game. Is there a rom available?

Not yet.

41 minutes ago, Cyprian said:

I wonder how Covox is driven, by interrupts? If yes how do you deal with interrupts and Maria?

Just Wsync for now. Vgm data is about 3-8 bytes per frame so no problem at all to play on DLI

But in future I will use Huffmunch for VGM data and partially play Covox on DLI an CPU.

14 hours ago, Eagle said:

Thanks for the invite!  I'm sending you a PM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Camanis by @miker  

You may hear some sound artifacts at the beginning of the song. 

Unfortunately there is no music editor for SN + Covox so Miker had to improvise with Furnace and export two different systems to one VGM.

Cart is almost finish, few more tests left.

• Like 6

Apart from the music chip I assume that a Dragonfly cart can simulate the flipped banks. I mean creating a bank with sprites going left and another with sprites going right for Dragonfly can later be replaced by a single left going bank that can be loaded as a right going bank on this new cart.

Extracting compressed stuff to RAM is something I don't get as the holey stuff does not work below $8000. Why would you like to do it?

1 hour ago, karri said:

Extracting compressed stuff to RAM is something I don't get as the holey stuff does not work below $8000. Why would you like to do it?

Tiles/level data/Title graphics don't need Holey DMA

Holey DMA you can only use for $Axxx $Cxxx $Exxx

You can't change bank $C000-$FFFF so you have only left $Axxx and sometimes wasting $8xxx 9xxx and $Bxxx when you change $8000-$BFFF 

This cart can change 4KB banks Axxx $Cxxx and $Exxx independently

Flipping and Mirroring is just extra features (because why not ;) )

I asked @rj1307 to help me design cart 32KB + SN

But we ended with this :D 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tests complete, everything works, I can publish the documentation  :) 

https://megawrzuta.pl/download/d5e33b8e5186ceb0768289cfad860355.html

If something is incomprehensible, I will explain as much as possible. But I am also asking for support from @Eagle, because I am not a programmer and I do not understand all the issues, and the cartridge was made according to his guidelines ;) 

512kB of 29C040, 28C040, 29F040 Flash memory can be used in the cartridge. You can also use 256kB memories with the final markings "020".

You need your own programmer to program the memory. I tested on TL866 plus II, and while I had no problem with the W29C020 memories, there was a problem with the W29C040 - there are programming errors. I don't know what the cause is. However, the old Willem programmer for the parallel port coped with them without any problems.

Edited by rj1307
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rj1307 said:

Tests complete, everything works, I can publish the documentation  :) 

https://megawrzuta.pl/download/d5e33b8e5186ceb0768289cfad860355.html

If something is incomprehensible, I will explain as much as possible. But I am also asking for support from @Eagle, because I am not a programmer and I do not understand all the issues, and the cartridge was made according to his guidelines ;) 

512kB of 29C040, 28C040, 29F040 Flash memory can be used in the cartridge. You can also use 256kB memories with the final markings "020".

You need your own programmer to program the memory. I tested on TL866 plus II, and while I had no problem with the W29C020 memories, there was a problem with the W29C040 - there are programming errors. I don't know what the cause is. However, the old Willem programmer for the parallel port coped with them without any problems.

?