IGNORED

My experiments with Atari 7800

Eagle

@rj1307 @Eagle I wonder whether would be possible to apply 4kB (or 8kB) bank switching also for the RAM are. Now I see one huge 16kB block which can be replaced by another one. I see the scenario where the video data (or display list) are prepared/stored dynamically in the RAM, and reaching for the data/code in the other RAM bank would disturb the currently displayed data.

Edited by Cyprian

On 2/15/2021 at 3:32 PM, Synthpopalooza said:

You should also try 320B.  I did some experiments with interlacing that get about 70 colors in 160A, about 100 in 160B, and 20 in 320B.  Its done by swapping charsets.

OR, write an atari 2600 line kernal! do WSYNC before writes and each line, you can update 2 of the 4 colors using one pallete + transparency in 320B, theoretically in PAL meaning you can get 320*240 with 256 colors. OR 320*224 with 256 colors in NTSC mode. Useful only for titlescreens though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2022 at 4:53 AM, saxmeister said:

This looks great. I'm so glad to finally see the 7800 getting the love and attention it deserves. So many great devs on this forum. You guys always blow me away.

You'll need to switch to asm to show real dedicated love.Not just for 7800 but to truly love programming

Edited by Traxx

7 hours ago, Traxx said:

You'll need to switch to asm to show real dedicated love.Not just for 7800 but to truly love programming

Yes. And that's where I come in!

*speaking of Discord, I'll try to make a Discord account. When I am successful, I'll let you know. *

On 8/13/2022 at 3:29 AM, Traxx said:

It's not a cult, and there's not just one true way to "show real dedicated love". Try to broaden your mind a bit.

• Like 7

On 8/12/2022 at 7:02 PM, Ecernosoft said:

Don't you mean Palletes?

No.  Two fonts get swapped in my method, no palette or color changes.  You store two fonts in memory, then swap the character set pointer every cycle to blend them.

The only one of these which swaps color registers is my 320D experiments, which is necessary to create a vertical line interlace

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 3:45 PM, RevEng said:

It's not a cult, and there's not just one true way to "show real dedicated love". Try to broaden your mind a bit.

To get the most out of the hardware though it does take what I said,at the end of the day assembly is needed for the most sophisticated games there is no way around that.Those that learn assembly game programming are leaps and bounds beyond basic game programmers that is a fact,I cannot broaden my mind to the fact it takes 10+ years to master assembly programming,I understand your point but no,never are these two even close.

Edited by Traxx

1 hour ago, Traxx said:

To get the most out of the hardware though it does take what I said,at the end of the day assembly is needed for the most sophisticated games there is no way around that.Those that learn assembly game programming are leaps and bounds beyond basic game programmers that is a fact,I cannot broaden my mind to the fact it takes 10+ years to master assembly programming,I understand your point but no,never are these two even close.

Goalposts are being moved. Your claim was "You'll need to switch to asm to show real dedicated love". If you don't wish to broaden your mind to the fact that your hobby rules don't apply to others, then I guess we have nothing more to say here.

• Like 7