IGNORED

CDFJ colour playfield

Andrew Davie

I've been having a play with the CDFJ bank-switching scheme.

Thanks to @SpiceWare I could just download a working prototype/shell of a CDFJ game and start with that.

So, that's what I did.  I wanted to have another go at an 8-colour character-based playfield, and see how it looked.

This was *extremely easy* to implement in the CDFJ environment, and I have something that's really just hacked, but gives me a good idea of how things will look. Unfortunately for me, though, I don't know how to test this on hardware.  It relies somewhat on the interleaved ChronoColour(TM) scheme, and that does have some shimmer/flicker effect. How acceptable/bad that is in this version I have no real way of telling. Yes, I can turn on phosphor in Stella but that's only an indication, not reality.

Anyway, I did that, and took a short screen capture to show the first version.  Personally I think it has potential.  I know for sure that @Thomas Jentzsch will object to the flicker ;)

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

Unfortunately for me, though, I don't know how to test this on hardware.  It relies somewhat on the interleaved ChronoColour(TM) scheme, and that does have some shimmer/flicker effect. How acceptable/bad that is in this version I have no real way of telling. Yes, I can turn on phosphor in Stella but that's only an indication, not reality.

Why don't you release a test ROM?

Then I can decide if I should object or not. :) 

Added a few more of the creatures/characters - no animation, of course - and it all looks as if it might work.

IF there were ever a follow-up, I would be tempted to use this display system, I think.  Still need to see it on a real CRT though.

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 2