IGNORED

Best emulators for various systems

Class316

Here I'm going to post what I believe is the best emulator for various systems. I use Windows 10 to emulate so all emulators I use are for this OS. I also don't like RetroArch so I do everything in my power to avoid that. I also avoid MAME for most anything besides Arcade emulation. Here's my list

3DO

Project Phoenix

Atari 8 bit (800 series computer and 5200 console)

Altirra

Atari 2600

Stella

Atari 7800

A7800

Atari Jaguar

Project Phoenix

Atari Lynx

Mednafe Multi System Emu

Atari ST

Steem

Bandai Wonderswan

Mednafe Multi System Emu

Colecovision

Colem 

Honorable mention goes to MEKA which also emulates Sega 8bit

Commodore 64

VICE

Commodore Amiga series and CD32 console

WinUAE

Mattel Intellivision

Nostalgia (although don't run in full screen as it goes widescreen)

Neo Geo and Neo Geo CD

Final Burn Neo (also does CPS1, CPS2, CPS3, and more)

Honorable mention goes to the mighty MAME 

Neo Geo Pocket

Mednafe Multi System Emu

Nintendo 3DS

Citra (far from 100% but still the best one)

Nintendo DS

DeSmuME

Nintendo 64

ParaLLEl via RetroArch. Sadly the best one. Other emulators are buggy for most anything besides Mario and Zelda. 

Honorable mentions go to Project 64 and Mupen 64 plus, just because they're not RetroArch

Nintendo Game Boy/Game Boy Color/Super Game Boy

Sameboy

Nintendo Game Advance

mGBA

Nintendo GameCube

Dolphin

Nintendo NES

Mesen and FCE Ultra (the latter is better for Famicom disk system)

Nintendo SNES

SNES9x and BSNES (SNES9x is great just because it's still awesome after almost 25 years)

Nintendo Virtual Boy

Mednafe Multi System Emu

Nintendo Wii

Dolphin

NEC systems (PC Engine, PC Engine CD, Supergraft, and PCFX)

Mednafe Multi System Emu

Odyssey 2

O2EM

Phillips CD-i

MAME (the only choice which only has limited compatibility)

Playstation

Mednafe Multi System Emu

Playstation 2

PCSX2 

Playstation 3

RPCS3 (far from 100% but still the best one)

Playstation Portable

PPSSPP

Sega Genesis/Megadrive and addons (Sega/Mega CD, 32X, 32X CD)

Kega Fusion. Despite no update since 2010 it still is awesome and IMO overall the best for all these systems. And in fact the ONLY one that does 32X CD.

Honorable mention goes to Mednafe Multi System Emu for any Genesis roms that don't work with Kega. 

Sega 8-bit (Master System, Game Gear, CS-3000, SG-1000)

Kega Fusion. Again have to go with this one despite its age. 

Honorable mention goes to both Mednafe Multi System Emu and Meka for roms that don't work with Kega (and Meka for all the peripherals it emulates)

Sega Dreamcast

Redream

Honorable mention goes to Demul cause it has lots of good feedback (even if it didn't work well on my PC).

Sega Saturn

Mednafe Multi System Emu

Sharp X68000

XM6 Pro-68k

Vectrex

ParaJVE

Edited by Class316
  • Thanks 1

Also, some of the best non-MAME arcade emulators

Final Burn Neo

IMO great for Neo Geo, CPS1, CPS2, CPS3, and more. But I don't believe it runs anything MAME doesn't. 

DICE

Great emulator for old discrete circuity Pong era games. Runs lots that MAME doesn't.

Daphne

Great emulator for Laserdisc games. Runs lots that MAME doesn't.

Edited by Class316
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nostalgia runs intellivision widescreen in a window as well.  For Intellivision I use MAME or Jzintv for the most compatibility.  Mame is also good for astrocade, channel f, colecovision/adam, atari 7800, coco3, ti-99/4a.  In 64-bit windows use MAMEUI64.

Edited by mr_me

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

Nostalgia runs intellivision widescreen in a window as well.  For Intellivision I use MAME or Jzintv for the most compatibility.  

It does? It looked stretched to me on full screen not so much on window. Ugh! Why do they ruin such a cool emulator by not being flexible on the aspect ratio!

I had tried Jzintv it doesn't even have a GUI nor could I find a good front end. So I installed an older version with a GUI then replaced files on there with the newest files of the most stable win32 SDL2 release. I then linked the 3 bios roms within the GUI. 

It largely worked. But from the 5-10 random games I tried, two versions of Pacman wouldn't run at all. And Pole Position was buggy and hung at the title screen. And those 3 roms worked on Nostalgia. Annoying. That probably means Nostalgia is more compatible than Jzintv.

Also, Nostalgia supports zip roms Jzintv does not. 

Edited by Class316

Some intellivision emulators read the cartridge memory map configuration from their own database, some read them from individual .cfg files.  Below is a link to a collection of memory map configuration files, rename them to match your game rom files.  Files with .rom extensions don't need a configuration file.  Game roms that use the basic mattel standard memory configuration don't need them either.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/203179-config-files-to-use-with-various-intellivision-titles/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-3480601

Nostalgia uses square pixels for a 5:3 aspect ratio, at full screen it will stretch according to your display settings.  MAME has a 4:3 aspect ratio and jzintv does whatever you specify.  I like MAME because it slows down rather than skip frames while jzintv will skip frames to maintain time.  I have an old computer, on most computers it probably makes no difference.  You can use any front end with jzintv, I just use windows file explorer.  MAME and Jzintv are actively maintained while nostalgia hasn't been touched for years.  

Edited by mr_me

32 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Some intellivision emulators read the cartridge memory map configuration from their own database, some read them from individual .cfg files.  Below is a link to a collection of memory map configuration files, rename them to match your game rom files.  Files with .rom extensions don't need a configuration file.  Game roms that use the basic mattel standard memory configuration don't need them either.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/203179-config-files-to-use-with-various-intellivision-titles/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-3480601

Nostalgia uses square pixels for a 5:3 aspect ratio, at full screen it will stretch according to your display settings.  MAME has a 4:3 aspect ratio and jzintv does whatever you specify.  I like MAME because it slows down rather than skip frames while jzintv will skip frames to maintain time.  I have an old computer, on most computers it probably makes no difference.  You can use any front end with jzintv, I just use windows file explorer.  MAME and Jzintv are actively maintained while nostalgia hasn't been touched for years.  

So you're saying the cfg files is the reason I'm having these compatibility issues? 

• 8 months later...