IGNORED

Stupid Geneve 9640 questions.

KG7PFS

13 minutes ago, BeeryMiller said:

As far as the Geneve 2020, if you could emulate the TIPI interface, that may be one DSR you would not have to write for at least the MDOS side of things and would open up a lot of potential.  For some reason, I thought you were going to have some kind of interface to some existing TI/Geneve peripherals.  Its been a couple of weeks since I last reviewed your notes.

Beery

Yeah. I have a pie-in-the-sky note about a new P-box flex cable interface, that selectively bridges the P-box space addresses (pages 40-EF?). I thought through it to see if there were any blocking issues--it seems ok but a large effort. I'm not spending any mindshare on it now.

been through the blog post and the spread sheet, the only things I don't have on the 2 .hd files in Geneve for MAME I have on https://ti99resources.wordpress.com/

that I might should have is the Tomy Tutor games which were expertly converted but I consider a bit dull, FED which I could never find, Windows9640 which I could never find a working version (I  do have GEME) and all the HardDrive geometry software which wouldn't be needed on an emulator. Although I do have a lot of that and other stuff on the 3rd .hd marked MISC.

Oh, and I don't have a lot of TI99 software, except XB26, because I wanted the Geneve package to go native as much as possible.

Here is what is on the two HD

OS.HD

ABASIC

BIBLE

C99V4 (for Geneve)

FW80 (funnel web 80)

GAMES:

iNFOCOM games modded for Geneve

TETRIS

PSYS (Pascal runtime)

XB26 (TI99 XB 2.6 running from GAMEGPL)

TASM (Geneve assembler)

MYART

MYWORD

GEME (Gpahic desktop)

in MDOS folder:

D (formatted dir command)

GETKEY & GETSTR (2 addons to batch)

ARC

CYA

DM (80 column dir manager)

EXEC

GPL & GPLGAME (runs most TI carts)

DRIVE2.hd

all of 9640NEWS

ASMSOURCE (most of the Geneve assembly source and other source)

C99FILES (lots of C99 source files)

GAMES (where the game data files reside)

MISC.HD ( not attached on boot but has just about everything else I could find )

Not found but you think it should? Attach the file with documentation and I'll add it.

• Like 3

I have a stupid Geneve question.

My GPL goes into a Boot menu, it says Main System Utility Program. 

My HDS1 was drive E: in MDOS. I had a MDOS Ramdisk at DSK5.

I use F5 to edit the entries, to point to HDS1.UTIL.DISKUG1 for instance. Then I hit F9 to save. It asks what drive 1-Z. If I

hit E, it writes to DSK5, the Ramdisk. If I disable the Ramdisk, it just gets an error with E.

My workaround is to save to floppy, then copy the files back to E. 

Once I have a HDS1.UTIL.XX in the entry, it works ok.

What am I missing here to get the F9 Save to go to where the GPL came from? Or at least somewhere on the E drive HDS1?

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

I have a stupid Geneve question.

My GPL goes into a Boot menu, it says Main System Utility Program. 

My HDS1 was drive E: in MDOS. I had a MDOS Ramdisk at DSK5.

I use F5 to edit the entries, to point to HDS1.UTIL.DISKUG1 for instance. Then I hit F9 to save. It asks what drive 1-Z. If I

hit E, it writes to DSK5, the Ramdisk. If I disable the Ramdisk, it just gets an error with E.

My workaround is to save to floppy, then copy the files back to E. 

Once I have a HDS1.UTIL.XX in the entry, it works ok.

What am I missing here to get the F9 Save to go to where the GPL came from? Or at least somewhere on the E drive HDS1?

The menu program save and directory functions are  limited to DSK1-9.  A-Z are a holdover from the TI and do not correspond to drive letters.  

This program is 31 years old (presuming you are using the 900704js version) and could use a refresh to allow for a full path in a few places.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

The menu program save and directory functions are  limited to DSK1-9.  A-Z are a holdover from the TI and do not correspond to drive letters.  

This program is 31 years old (presuming you are using the 900704js version) and could use a refresh to allow for a full path in a few places.

Thanks! 

Also I thought I saw a place where it said "exit to MDOS" but now I don't know where. 

Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work in Menu.

I forget the special keys for exit GPL. Little help?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

Thanks! 

Also I thought I saw a place where it said "exit to MDOS" but now I don't know where. 

Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work in Menu.

I forget the special keys for exit GPL. Little help?

Isn't it CTRL-SHIFT-SHIFT to get back to the GPL speed/cartridge/mode selection screen... and another CTRL-SHIFT-SHIFT from there to go back to MDOS.. ???

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, jedimatt42 said:

Isn't it CTRL-SHIFT-SHIFT to get back to the GPL speed/cartridge/mode selection screen... and another CTRL-SHIFT-SHIFT from there to go back to MDOS.. ???

when in the GPL menu ESC exits GPL.

Sft+Sft+Ctl will also reboots in MDOS, at least in MAME.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Caveat being that <ESC>ape is only available if you are using later releases, including GPL 5.0 and GPL 6.5.  

I certainly don't recommend using older GPL versions though for awareness, versions such as 0.99 and 1.04 require that the user press CTRL-ALT-DEL to exit from the interpreter screen to MDOS; you have to 'know' this tidbit as there is no helper text.   One too many inadvertent OS warm restarts prompted the change from ctrl-alt-del to <ESC>ape ;) 

• Like 2

I expect nobody has tested with MDOS 6.00 and the corresponding GPL. 

If that version of GPL supports ROMPAGE, then you should be able to use E/A option 5 to load "TIPI.TIPICFG" in GPL/ROMPAGE -- if this works, then you can load better copy tools from the TIPI... 

MDM isn't going to know about TIPI, but the latest DM2K should be able to work with 1200.DSK0. as the source TIPI drive, and then you can copy from the TIPI to your MDOS friendly storage such as 1100.DSK1.

At least that would be the theory... 

Anyone know if ROMPAGE works in MDOS 6.00?

Edited by jedimatt42
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

Anyone know if ROMPAGE works in MDOS 6.00?

Yes.  GPL 5.0, 6.0, and 6.50 all implement the ROMPAGE option.  This is referenced in the GPL update documentation on the distribution disks, if/when they are 'intact', and the option should be visible on the GPL screen.

Edit: I have never confirmed that the TIPI works under ROMPAGE w/MDOS 6.00 & GPL 6.00, though I see no reason it shouldn't.  (famous last words)

50 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

I have MDOS 6.00, GPL

Best that you put MDOS 6.00 away and grab the MDOS 6.50 distribution disk, preferably the modified one released around the time that the ramdisk boot process was documented.  I'll add this link to the MDOS development thread post #1 as well (done).  Beery and I are close to having a v7.x OS/GPL ready for user testing.

Booting MDOS from Horizon Ramdisk - Ninerpedia

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Yes.  GPL 5.0, 6.0, and 6.50 all implement the ROMPAGE option.  This is referenced in the GPL update documentation on the distribution disks, if/when they are 'intact', and the option should be visible on the GPL screen.

Best that you put MDOS 6.00 away and grab the MDOS 6.50 distribution disk, preferably the modified one released around the time that the ramdisk boot process was documented.  I'll add this link to the MDOS development thread post #1 as well.  Beery and I are close to a v7.x ready for test purposes.

Booting MDOS from Horizon Ramdisk - Ninerpedia

Yeah, I was going to use the MDOS 6.50 disk that @arcadeshopper sent me, but I started copying my source code floppies first, and then the new-in-box old-stock floppy drive .. died. So I missed that chance. I didn't copy CFHDX either.

Yay! I just had to hit F5 for GPL/ROMPAGE. Now I'm in TIPICFG. TI BASIC can open files on TIPI.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

Yeah, I was going to use the MDOS 6.50 disk that @arcadeshopper sent me, but I started copying my source code floppies first, and then the new-in-box old-stock floppy drive .. died. So I missed that chance. I didn't copy CFHDX either.

Yay! I just had to hit F5 for GPL/ROMPAGE. Now I'm in TIPICFG. TI BASIC can open files on TIPI.

CALL TIPI("PI.HTTP://ftp.whtech.com/TIPI/DM2K")

You can conveniently load programs right off the internet...

(if your PI network works)

Edited by jedimatt42
  • Like 1

I'm going to keep posting dumb questions because I'm tired

Has anybody seen this before on a new Tipi distro?

tipi@tipi-peb:~/tipi_disk/MDOS $ xdm99.py ../../GeneveOpSys650-redistributionpermitted2020.dsk 

File "/home/tipi/xdt99/xdm99.py", line 245

self.warn(f'{name:s}: File contents corrupted')

^

SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I get the same error on xdm99.py --help

I copied a new xdt99 over and that works fine.

16 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

CALL TIPI("PI.HTTP://ftp.whtech.com/TIPI/DM2K")

You can conveniently load programs right off the internet...

(if your PI network works)

Oh that's the coolest.

I'm in there now. I've mapped /home/tipi/tipi_disk/mdos onto DSK1 and I'm looking at it in DM2K. It's all the TIFILES as it should be.

cd tipi_disk/MDOS
xdm99.py ../../GeneveOpSys650-redistributionpermitted2020.dsk --tifiles --ti-names -e '*'

tipi@tipi-peb:~/tipi_disk/MDOS $ ls
 -BUGLIST    CYC        -GPL650    PFMCOREDOC   SAVEIMAGE    '!UPDATE500'
 -CRACK128   DISK.SYS   -HISTORY   PFMCOREUP    SCSI.SYS     '!UPDATE600'
 CRCOS       FORM123    LOAD.SYS   PFMCOREV7    SYSTEM.SYS   '!UPDATE650'
 CYA         FORM3MEG   MDOSDOCS  '!README'     TESTH
 CYB         GPL       '!PERMIT'   -SAVEIMAGE  '!UPDATE221'

I'm still stuck on how to get it to HDS1.MDOS65

Maybe MDM... if I could run it (MDM5 locks up.. MDM is DF80)

AND now I'm stuck.. GPL says F5 for GPL/ROMPAGE but that just goes to MENU immediately every time now.

Going to call it a draw for tonight.

• Like 1

Pressing F5 for Rompage mode or <ENTER> from the GPL Interpreter screen will still take you to the menu screen you are seeing.  What is different, is how the Geneve memory is mapped in the mapper registers.  The only difference is basically you are using the DSR’s on the cards in your PEBox and not the Geneve master DSR whenever a device is accessed.

This is how you can access WDS1 instead of HDS1, or access the TIPI.TIPICFG program.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

Pressing F5 for Rompage mode or <ENTER> from the GPL Interpreter screen will still take you to the menu screen you are seeing.  What is different, is how the Geneve memory is mapped in the mapper registers.  The only difference is basically you are using the DSR’s on the cards in your PEBox and not the Geneve master DSR whenever a device is accessed.

This is how you can access WDS1 instead of HDS1, or access the TIPI.TIPICFG program.

Hmm, when I first hit F5 for Rompage, I landed in a color bar title screen that said Geneve. And it had the traditional menu of modules 1) BASIC 2) E/A, which I had loaded

Uhh, I think I might have been running BASICGPL which was there when @InsaneMultitasker loaded 6.00.

And, it had the 99/4 font which was cool. Back in the day, I did not notice how the font changed between 4 and 4A but I do now!

• Like 2