IGNORED

Stupid Geneve 9640 questions.

KG7PFS

7 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

Today I learned that maximizing the RAMDISK in AUTOEXEC with TIMODE.. is a really dumb idea.

Now I can't run QDE to edit the AUTOEXEC - Insufficient Memory.

I'm screwed.

Maybe I can find an editor in GPL.

COPY CON AUTOEXEC
TIMODE
<CTRL-D>

Or the actual MDOS equivalent.

You can of course also just COPY AUTOEXEC ASIDE

and reboot.

You won't find a computer I've used for more than a moment without the filename 'aside' showing up.

Edited by jedimatt42
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've got another stupid question, I've got my gotek set for drive 1, and a regular hh floppy drive as drive 2.

I copied the dos65 dsk file to my thumb drive, and renamed it to DSKA0002.dsk, so my drive can see it, which it does, but I can't do a directory of it and Geneve doesn't boot. 

DM2K reports error 6.

Followed by 705, oops upside down it says sh..outta luck...

Can someone point me in a bootable direction, but first I need to straighten out my boot file.

I DLd from whtech, it's a .dsk file, I looked at it with TDIR, and it reported 720k.

So at this point all I did was rename it to a missing file from my sequential files on my gotek, which happens to be dsk0002

Then after that didn't work, I tried the hdx export and I got the same thing.

Also, I've got another situation, I've got the scarta box hooked up to the Geneve and output VGA to my TV and my TV reports unknown mode, I don't have RGB in. As I thought that I could just plug it into VGA 

Edited by GDMike

17 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I've got another stupid question, I've got my gotek set for drive 1, and a regular hh floppy drive as drive 2.

I copied the dos65 dsk file to my thumb drive, and renamed it to DSKA0002.dsk, so my drive can see it, which it does, but I can't do a directory of it and Geneve doesn't boot. 

DM2K reports error 6.

Followed by 705, oops upside down it says sh..outta luck...

Can someone point me in a bootable direction, but first I need to straighten out my boot file.

I DLd from whtech, it's a .dsk file, I looked at it with TDIR, and it reported 720k.

So at this point all I did was rename it to a missing file from my sequential files on my gotek, which happens to be dsk0002

Then after that didn't work, I tried the hdx export and I got the same thing.

Also, I've got another situation, I've got the scarta box hooked up to the Geneve and output VGA to my TV and my TV reports unknown mode, I don't have RGB in. As I thought that I could just plug it into VGA 

the ti controller can only do DS/SD 180k

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I'm no help with Gotek (I have one that I can't figure out)

But, what is a scarta box? You need a TV that specifically supports RGB. I got the Samsung 910MP (there were 2 on eBay today for under $100) and Im 

using it with shift838's SCART Genie and it's great.  The one thing you have to do is change the Region setting to France or somewhere with SCART. Otherwise the monitor just skips right over SCART when you scan sources.

A regular VGA in port is not going to accept RGB.  People use some sort of upscaler box meant for arcade RGB monitors to VGA or other.

Though I've read that the Samsung 710MP supports RGB just like the bigger 910MP. I snagged a 710MP on Craigslist and it does not have a SCART in. However, under the VGA port it says "RGB IN". I have not made a cable yet to try it.

Getting a good monitor for a Geneve is something that worries me a lot. 

• Like 1

Hurray, I got video... keeps saying, press any key.. can't boot.

I was trying to plug the wrong cable into the TV, either I can't read the words on the box, or it's too dark where I am, but I got a picture from shift838, and I had connected up wrong. Yay, nice to see video...

Just can't boot

FRONT-LABEL.thumb.jpg.1a8ac5a8251ecd171c1ef82638b345c1.jpg

IMG_20210204_172701575.jpg

IMG_20210204_173820831.jpg

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

Haha... that's why I didn't go any further..then shift838 showed me the connectors...

Aghghhghg I don't have a ps2 keyboard OR an AT keyboard...I only have an XT and it won't work with that..

I've got to find a, preferably, AT style...

@Shift838 sent me the boot disk and I can boot now!!! Whohooo

Edited by GDMike

I can't find a layout of Geneve connectors, I read the Geneve has 2 game adapter ports? A mouse port? So where is the mouse port. I've got a 2 button serial mouse? Not sure it'll work, but I don't know where the connector is anyway..
Did you look in the FAQ no you didn't

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

From top of card to bottom:  Video, Mouse, Joystick, and Keyboard (under the 3 other connectors)

http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/geneve/geneve.html

The Geneve uses a bus type mouse.  Not sure what PC equivalents are out there.  Can anyone else recommend replacement options??

The Geneve mouse is the equivalent of the old logitech bus mouse

Shift 838 makes a nice ps2 to Geneve adapter

I can't find a layout of Geneve connectors, I read the Geneve has 2 game adapter ports? A mouse port? So where is the mouse port. I've got a 2 button serial mouse? Not sure it'll work, but I don't know where the connector is anyway..
It's not serial it's a bus mouse

Look in the FAQ for the ports

• Like 1

Oh that's right... this is serial....

Duh...haha..

I'm totally allowed to ask stupid questions here...as a matter of fact, it's encouraged!!

and I might make a habit out of it..

Slapping grandpa on that one...!

Pa'Cha..

I'll look for the adapter board...

Thank you Greg. 

Edited by GDMike

16 minutes ago, Torrax said:

From top of card to bottom:  Video, Mouse, Joystick, and Keyboard (under the 3 other connectors)

http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/geneve/geneve.html

The Geneve uses a bus type mouse.  Not sure what PC equivalents are out there.  Can anyone else recommend replacement options??

Shift838 has something, not sure what it is..I'm waiting on his answer because I want to know if it's a USB to Geneve adapter or what.. cool thank you!!

You have to be careful with the old Logitech bus mice.  There were at least two variants, one was a high resolution and another was a lower resolution, and they had different pinouts.  I believe it was Micropendium that had one article for a mouse, and I found out later the one I purchased was a higher resolution mouse.  I finally worked out the pinouts, but it took time.

I've got Chris's USB mouse setup on my primary Geneve.  I would go that route.

As has been mentioned in a few threads here on Atariage, there are not too many programs that utilize the mouse.  MyArt is one for the Geneve, and I was just using it this past week.  The Geometer's Apprentice and The Printer's Apprentice use it as well.  Windows 9640 utilized it as well, however, I am not sure anyone is using that program, and I wrote it myself.  I believe Stuart's web browser uses a mouse on the PI for the TIPI.  So, I actually have two mice for my Geneve.  One uses Chris's USB mouse, and the other a wireless mouse to the PI.  I probably could have gotten away with a wireless mouse for the Geneve, but never tried it and don't know if Chris has any recommendations.

Beery

• Like 1

I'll probably use the tipi mouse if  the Geneve gets to the point to start working with the tipi..

Or try to program the mouse, if it's possible in MDOS, or ...

Right now, I'm working on getting the keyboard adapter from Chris though, because I have the wrong keyboard. I've got an AT style... not going to work..

I've got video, and the Geneve boots from gotek...but I'm looking forward to tipi working to..lol

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1