IGNORED

My 3DS Journey 2021

adamchevy

If I could have any of the special edition 3DS consoles I would buy this one. I love the design work and colors. I’m also a big fan of fire emblem since the gamecube days.

563d55eb982a3ba2402b49d95d14ea0a.jpg

It’s to bad these sell for over $400 new in box now. I could really see the 3DS becoming an expensive collectors item if Nintendo never revisits the 3D again, which I don’t think they will.

• Like 2

The 3DS may not have turned in the sales performance of its predecessor, but with 76 million units sold, I doubt we have to worry anytime soon about operating 3DS units in reasonable shape becoming prohibitively expensive.

Perhaps more concerning than the potential expense of a replacement unit in say 20 years time, may be the long-term longevity of the built-in battery. But with all the amazing items being produced for retro gaming today, it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility that we'll see a cottage industry popping up one of these days to supply quality replacement batteries for popular devices like the GBA SP/DS/3DS family, Dual Shock 2 and 3's, PSP's, etc. If anything, I'm somewhat surprised it hasn't happened already.

I'm glad though that I picked up a new New 2DS XL late last summer while I still could (Unfortunately with my eyesight, I can't enjoy the 3D capabilities of the platform). While I waited slightly longer than I should've since Wal-Mart had them for as low as $100 at one point in 2020, I still only ended up paying MSRP for it. It's nice to have a fresh one to supplement my well used 3DS XL.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Eh yeah it's no surprise it did less.  As successful as it was, there were problems.  I don't just mean the compared rise of Android/iOS gaming, but also all the straight up easy to get preloaded piratey crap that's android based too that included emulation.  There's also Nintendo having overcharged to start causing no good sales for months, and a very hit and miss run of quality releases in the back half of its years having to get run out with remasters, ports, and remakes to add to the library for interest.  Had it been as consistent as the DS was from A to Z it still wouldn't have topped it, the mobile gaming/android emulation-theft choices, but I think it could have cracked a 100M or nearly that.

It's a great system, sort of like a portable gamecube/wii device which is great, but games consistency wise it lacked.  I re-bought one in the last years time, but I only use it spottily due to lack of interest to be fair, have to have a need to play one I have or find something new, as Gameboy family and for new Switch takes my time.  The thing is there is a LOT to like on the 3DS, definitely not lacking for games in the least bit now that you can go back and pick off whatever, including the DS support too which is big.  Personally I'd like to re-acquire that goofy vocaloid game Project Mirai DX Hatsune Miku as I liked the way the music game worked like FF Theatrhythm basically did, I can follow it and not fail like most rotten timing/music based stuff.

• Like 3

Yeah, the 3DS suffered due to the rise of mobile gaming.  Plus, the inconsistency with the games and the fact that the early 3DS really tried to go for a seemingly more premium look and feel rather than what the DS had done previously.  I know my 3DS is any early model, and while it good condition, has a lot a fair amount of scratches on the back glass part.  Still, they are good devices and really good emulation machines too.

• Like 3

I recently bought a used 3DS XL for one game and one game only: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, which I'm obsessed over (and play every day). Also added Pokemon Moon, but those are the only two games I currently own. Might hit up Gamestop to see if they have any games at a decent price this weekend to add to the collection. I did have a Switch, but I really prefer the 3DS over it (silly me, I know).

• Like 1

I recently bought a used 3DS XL for one game and one game only: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, which I'm obsessed over (and play every day). Also added Pokemon Moon, but those are the only two games I currently own. Might hit up Gamestop to see if they have any games at a decent price this weekend to add to the collection. I did have a Switch, but I really prefer the 3DS over it (silly me, I know).

That’s great! I’ve never played new leaf, or any animal crossing before. I may have to pick it up at one point. I also like the 3DS more than the switch. With all of its varied titles in its library it might become my favorite console of all time. Second only to the 2600. Good luck game hunting!

I have listened to Peer Schneider on the NVC podcast talk quite a bit about his love for Animal crossing and the 200+ hours he’s put into it. It sounds like a game that I would really like.

I’ve never played a Pokémon game before either. I picked up Pokémon Y and plan on playing it after Chrono Trigger in a few weeks. I Ofcourse know a lot about Pokémon but I missed playing them somehow growing up.

2 hours ago, adamchevy said:

That’s great! I’ve never played new leaf, or any animal crossing before. I may have to pick it up at one point. I also like the 3DS more than the switch. With all of its varied titles in its library it might become my favorite console of all time. Second only to the 2600. Good luck game hunting!

I have listened to Peer Schneider on the NVC podcast talk quite a bit about his love for Animal crossing and the 200+ hours he’s put into it. It sounds like a game that I would really like.

I’ve never played a Pokémon game before either. I picked up Pokémon Y and plan on playing it after Chrono Trigger in a few weeks. I Ofcourse know a lot about Pokémon but I missed playing them somehow growing up.

Animal Crossing is very, unique, to say the least, and if it's something you begin to take a shine to, you'll be hooked. I've played every version except the Switch one since it's inception (American version) in 2001. Pokemon is really hard to put down once you start. I was terribly bitten by the Pokemon bug since the first release way back in the original Gameboy days. Chrono Trigger is another personal favorite of mine! Played that for hours on my SNES (again, back in the day before dinosaurs went extinct) and beat it several times.

• Like 1

Animal Crossing is very, unique, to say the least, and if it's something you begin to take a shine to, you'll be hooked. I've played every version except the Switch one since it's inception (American version) in 2001. Pokemon is really hard to put down once you start. I was terribly bitten by the Pokemon bug since the first release way back in the original Gameboy days. Chrono Trigger is another personal favorite of mine! Played that for hours on my SNES (again, back in the day before dinosaurs went extinct) and beat it several times.

I had a SNES growing up as well. I played Final Fantasy VI 3 or 4 times all the way through. Somehow I’ve missed Chrono Trigger until now.
I’m really looking forward to giving it a play given all the praise it’s received over the years.

If you really want the absolute worst pokemon experience on the system, at least to me it's X/Y.  The flip to that the absolute best, but not only that, most unique and refined of them would be the ULTRA versions of Sun and Moon.  They put some real added material, depth, balance into that version.  I was spent on the franchise for a long time and that one was and is a real pleasure.  X/Y are a slow painful long walked crawl of annoyance in how that one is designed.  I can't think of a game with a longer winding crap about way to even make it just to the first town to do a gym battle, it was utterly ridiculous, badly done and contrived.  I had given up, only reason I know about the other is I found it for 1/2 off ($20) at the time and figured I could get out ahead if it sucked.

Animal Crossing the 3DS version is the last of the original style ones, it's amazing, and in a way it may be the best version of the lot.  Not wanting to dump on the Switch one, they keep adding more and more free content every quarter which says a lot, they also allow lots of new items to find, but also terraforming of land, rivers, and road terrain too which was a sweet ad.  Problem is on Switch they went minecraft stupid on it way too far.  Everything, and I do mean even previously special hard to earn 'gold' gear, is breakable making them pointless to even bother with.  You're consistently fighting with the Switch game to blow time daily on farming resources and re-creating broken gear.

The 3DS version though it's amazing, has largely (pre-quarterly adds on Switch) a similar huge array of stuff you can dig, fish, catch, buy, and more there...it's no slouch.  Try and find a copy of the guide online if you can, and I do mean copy, for some reason that Prima book got expensive.  You'll see what I mean if someone made a PDF of the thing as the content is varied and deep.

If you want some more bizarre unique stuff to at least research: Final Fantasy Theatrhythm Curtain Call, Project Mirai DX Hatsune Miku -- both music games.  Franchise fun there's a solid game of Ace Combat, a Castlevania game (hybrid of CV3 NES, SOTN, and God of War) going on there.  Some cross over from not just the DS but other consoles appear largely from stuff like ATLUS with Persona games, Altlier whatever titles, Etrian Odyssey, and more.

If you're doing to dig the DS stuff, avoid FF4 at all costs, play FF3.  They broke completely FF4 to sell strategy guides.  Took a marvelous game, created a setup with boss fights and a random view other monsters where you have to use the right person, right attack, or you fail at 'simon says' mechanics and it throws a near fatal if not one shot kill to the entire party...it's awful.  Stick to the FF4 Advance game, PS1 release, or any other 2D version of that.

• Like 1

If you really want the absolute worst pokemon experience on the system, at least to me it's X/Y.  The flip to that the absolute best, but not only that, most unique and refined of them would be the ULTRA versions of Sun and Moon.  They put some real added material, depth, balance into that version.  I was spent on the franchise for a long time and that one was and is a real pleasure.  X/Y are a slow painful long walked crawl of annoyance in how that one is designed.  I can't think of a game with a longer winding crap about way to even make it just to the first town to do a gym battle, it was utterly ridiculous, badly done and contrived.  I had given up, only reason I know about the other is I found it for 1/2 off ($20) at the time and figured I could get out ahead if it sucked.

Animal Crossing the 3DS version is the last of the original style ones, it's amazing, and in a way it may be the best version of the lot.  Not wanting to dump on the Switch one, they keep adding more and more free content every quarter which says a lot, they also allow lots of new items to find, but also terraforming of land, rivers, and road terrain too which was a sweet ad.  Problem is on Switch they went minecraft stupid on it way too far.  Everything, and I do mean even previously special hard to earn 'gold' gear, is breakable making them pointless to even bother with.  You're consistently fighting with the Switch game to blow time daily on farming resources and re-creating broken gear.

The 3DS version though it's amazing, has largely (pre-quarterly adds on Switch) a similar huge array of stuff you can dig, fish, catch, buy, and more there...it's no slouch.  Try and find a copy of the guide online if you can, and I do mean copy, for some reason that Prima book got expensive.  You'll see what I mean if someone made a PDF of the thing as the content is varied and deep.

If you want some more bizarre unique stuff to at least research: Final Fantasy Theatrhythm Curtain Call, Project Mirai DX Hatsune Miku -- both music games.  Franchise fun there's a solid game of Ace Combat, a Castlevania game (hybrid of CV3 NES, SOTN, and God of War) going on there.  Some cross over from not just the DS but other consoles appear largely from stuff like ATLUS with Persona games, Altlier whatever titles, Etrian Odyssey, and more.

If you're doing to dig the DS stuff, avoid FF4 at all costs, play FF3.  They broke completely FF4 to sell strategy guides.  Took a marvelous game, created a setup with boss fights and a random view other monsters where you have to use the right person, right attack, or you fail at 'simon says' mechanics and it throws a near fatal if not one shot kill to the entire party...it's awful.  Stick to the FF4 Advance game, PS1 release, or any other 2D version of that.

Thanks for the heads up on Pokémon X/Y. I’m thinking I’ll sell my copy of Pokémon X/Y and pick up Animal Crossing New Leaf instead. Pokémon is really on the bottom of my list and to be honest I don’t care if I ever play a single Pokémon game before I kick the bucket.

I’ve really been wanting to try Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift. I loved Final Fantasy Tactics on the PS1 and it’s been a long time since I’ve played a great tactics game that’s tied into a great RPG series. I have Fire Emblem Awakening Queued up at the moment to give me that initial grid based RPG tactics 3D experience. I also have my eye on stella glow but to be honest the story line isn’t really doing it for me the whole witches thing is not my favorite idea. I’ve been watching a lot of 3DS RPG videos and best ofs and it comes up a lot so it must be pretty great.

I’ve been looking at the Theater Rhythm games, especially the final fantasy ones for a few weeks. I think they look like a great fit for the 3DS interface. I look forward to diving into those type of games and the Professor Layton/Ace Attorney style games as well. Probably early next year. They look great and I have never experienced anything in either series before.

I am loving the 3DS/DS library so far. It is really a treat to be diving into at this point.

I've touched most of the Pokemon games, kind of skipped the GBA era but FireRed over lack of interest, only got into the GBC stuff since I had the redone Soul Silver (and ore recent times got Crystal before prices got crap a few years back.)  Of any I've touched X/Y was just by far the most aggravating and tedious lacking game of the lot.

If you ever do get the pokemon itch, just grab Ultra Sun/Moon.  The game is so well done, and it's kind of an anti-pokemon in some ways.  Random battles in the weeds are OUT, you see them.  It doesn't have the wash-rinse-repeat boring as shit after 20 years 8 badge & 8 gym system either.  The game actually has a full story to it, normal good JRPG level stuff, not just some nameless kid going around to catch em all and get badges stuff.  You have plots and subplots of various characters and teams that come along.  The game world (pokemon does this each generation) mimics various parts of the Earth, this one being Hawaii.  So instead you have 4 islands, 4 guardians, 4 kind of gym leaders but also other mid-boss stuff called Totem Pokemon.  There's just more to do and it keeps you consistently engaged so you're not just slogging over inching up one of them at a time in some samey pile of weeds or water.

• Like 1

I got a used New 3DSLL (the Japanese version of the XL) mainly to play the Japanese release of the Sega 3D Classics collection - there were a handful of games that weren't ever brought over with the Western releases. It's a great series and M2 added some cool optional customizable settings and updates to most of the games (e.g., switch off the collisions in Super Hang-On, or select from different cars with varying capabilities in Out Run, steer using the gyroscope, etc.). The Fantasy Zone updates are even more elaborate and worth exploring, including a System 16 upgrade/remake of Fantasy Zone II (originally a Master System-only release).

I found holding the system was pretty quickly fatiguing for my hands, so I got a sort of shell that makes it larger and more ergonomic, which helps. I'm really not a big fan of the circle pad, though... it doesn't feel precise, and the resistance it has doesn't feel too good after a while.

I have a question about it, but if it's something that's outside of the bounds of the forum rules, please delete it. I bought the system used from a US seller and he included an R4 card. Is that something that you could use to install emulators?

• Like 2

I got a used New 3DSLL (the Japanese version of the XL) mainly to play the Japanese release of the Sega 3D Classics collection - there were a handful of games that weren't ever brought over with the Western releases. It's a great series and M2 added some cool optional customizable settings and updates to most of the games (e.g., switch off the collisions in Super Hang-On, or select from different cars with varying capabilities in Out Run, steer using the gyroscope, etc.). The Fantasy Zone updates are even more elaborate and worth exploring, including a System 16 upgrade/remake of Fantasy Zone II (originally a Master System-only release).  

I found holding the system was pretty quickly fatiguing for my hands, so I got a sort of shell that makes it larger and more ergonomic, which helps. I'm really not a big fan of the circle pad, though... it doesn't feel precise, and the resistance it has doesn't feel too good after a while.

I have a question about it, but if it's something that's outside of the bounds of the forum rules, please delete it. I bought the system used from a US seller and he included an R4 card. Is that something that you could use to install emulators?

Emulators are definitely not outside the forum rules. I’ve never heard of an R4 so I won’t be able to help you their. I recently watched modern vintage gamer on YouTube talk about modding his 3DS XL LL. I’m sure other on this forum will know way more than I do.

Here’s a link to MVG on YouTube

Modern Vintage Gamer might even be an Atariage member under a different name for all I know and you could ask him directly.

• Thanks 1

@ZoyousFair game entirely as long as you don't specifically link to actual roms.  Like you're lucky you got that R4, if it's the R4i Gold 2019/2020 edition it can handle 3DS stuff if you run the proper setup.  There is a no-damage hack called LUMA, I never read much into it, but you can fire it up safely without any damage, much like me using a FREELOAD 1.06 boot disc on my Gamecube so my import games work without installing a chip+switch solution.

Even if the R4 is too old, you have full unabridged access to the DS library.  That alone, given it would run the emulators in full capacity of the final DS release (the DSi which was 2x speed 4x memory) you could get into some serious stuff.  I recall there being some base 32bit emulators and 8/16bit stuff was solid as can be.  The DSi level capability even allowed a PC x86 emulator to run like a 486dx33 instead of like a 386 a normal DS/Lite would do if you want to go that route.  I recall it having a full touch panel keyboard so you could run whatever you wished really.

Also when I had my original New3DSXL to your LL I had taht grip I'm thinking you have, kind of snapped on the frame, firm comfy grips to both sides, made it very comfortable.  That thing if anything was a bit top heavy with the weight of the frame, added camera, positional tracker, etc so you'd end up using your pinky to cradle and it was tearing the hands up.  I have a New2DSXL these days and it's not as heavy so the problem isn't there.

If you were after games I will make this sort of vague nudge.  Archive.org has everything.  You just need to kind of google enter into it asking the right question of like ... games for ... set... you know?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1