IGNORED

Season 18 Round 12 of 15 - Wizards & Warriors

asponge

1095135666_WizaardsWarriorsCartridge.png.ffc71e15fc9ed3a26cedc6505f437cbe.png 959926727_WizardsWarriorsScreenshot.png.deee1ebb8b8aff66f29910483d3c6caf.png

Game Rules:

No Continues

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Sunday February 7 at 11:59 PM CST.

AtariAge High Score:

999,999 by Dashopepper posted on 1/24/2016

Scores as of 2/7:

Razzie.P     999,999
jblenkle      38,735
asponge       30,690
fakecortex    29,070
AtariSphinx   15,350

Season Standings:

Scoreboard.png.1b2fc3edf08ec32e7a64481032a48d44.png

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • Do not exploit game glitches, take advantage of 1-up loops or intentionally die in order to replay a level.
  • If "point pressing" is not specified in the game rules you should be moving forward in an attempt to complete/loop the game and not "camping" for points.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • Round points are awarded according to the following chart:
    1110848006_ScoreChart.png.e4e6c238b16cc1de0a8133d7d8dfa42d.png

I'm not usually a "getting nostalgic" sort of person, but this one really took me back to my childhood and kicked me in the nostalgia feels.   I've had the cart in my collection, but haven't given it any proper playtime since childhood.   I'm off work tomorrow, so a good chunk of my day just got booked.  ?   I think I can get back to being able to finish this one (and likely max out the score in the process) over the next few days. 

... if I fail miserably, feel free to trash talk n' rub it in  ?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jblenkle said:

Yup, just as I remembered...having trouble with the first level. I have a tough time getting on top of the trees to finish the level. I got up there once last night, but immediately got knocked off and could never get up there again.

You don't need to go to the top.  Just grab enough gems to convince Red Douche to get outta the way (100 in the first level) and go down the tree he was guarding.  If you do want to get up there -- extra gems an an item -- the pink/purple potion makes it much easier than trying to bounce of things.  Personally, though, I ignore the top, grab the 100 gems and move on.

Also -- Boots of Force is your friend through the whole game.  Get them. Cherish them.  Cry when you accidently have them replaced by something else.

• Haha 1

I didn't expect to have the score maxed the first time I finished it.  I left a lot of points unclaimed since my main focus was just reaching the end, but it still maxed out after the final 100,000 was added.  So it seems like if you're able to reach the end, you have a pretty good chance at having a max score.

20210126_120156.jpg.5f4a6ae156b5939e7a9cde17c7a372fc.jpg

20210126_120232.jpg.4e4917460a18f99802f435f5c8444a09.jpg

• Like 1

Hmm. Not a chance I'd get in an NES high score club, lol(was my first real system of "ownership", but I can't score on it now at all, haha!).

But I love this game, couldn't have imagined being able to finish it "back then", but ya'll have me thinking to get the everdrive out and give it a go.

Max scores, Wow, BIG Deal, Nice!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rogerpoco said:

but ya'll have me thinking to get the everdrive out and give it a go.

I think you should.  You know that thing of older games not “aging well” -- where people often use that phrase whenever something isn’t as good as they remembered?  This one was the opposite for me… it somehow seems better than it was all those years ago. 

I loved it as a kid, played it countless hours, could finish it with ease, and still have it in my collection, but I’ve always referred to it as “it’s a crap game.” But my love of all things Sword n’ Sorcery related kept me enthralled.

Playing though it again, though, it seems much, much better developed than I remember.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Razzie.P said:

I think you should.  You know that thing of older games not “aging well” -- where people often use that phrase whenever something isn’t as good as they remembered?  This one was the opposite for me… it somehow seems better than it was all those years ago. 

I loved it as a kid, played it countless hours, could finish it with ease, and still have it in my collection, but I’ve always referred to it as “it’s a crap game.” But my love of all things Sword n’ Sorcery related kept me enthralled.

Playing though it again, though, it seems much, much better developed than I remember.

Oh, uhhh...

Don't get the wrong idea.

Right now I am Skiing on the Intellivision. I do a lot of stuff on the 2600(I am but the learner, lol, but 2 for 2, Gold medal bracket in the HSC, so I guess I'm a bad ass.)(Teasing).

I NEVER thought I'd play 2600 games for "high scores", I was a tad too young for it, but LOVE it now-

If/When I get "back" to NES, it'll be stepping forward in time, haha, I'm sure I wouldn't notice the "aging"!!!

:)

New games are fine and all, but I don't play them, the early 90's is kinda pushing it for me, and I play for hours, every day!!

On 1/26/2021 at 7:50 AM, Razzie.P said:

You don't need to go to the top.  Just grab enough gems to convince Red Douche to get outta the way (100 in the first level) and go down the tree he was guarding.  If you do want to get up there -- extra gems an an item -- the pink/purple potion makes it much easier than trying to bounce of things.  Personally, though, I ignore the top, grab the 100 gems and move on.

Also -- Boots of Force is your friend through the whole game.  Get them. Cherish them.  Cry when you accidently have them replaced by something else.

Yeah, faulty memory...I was thinking the exit was up on top of the trees, but I finally found where it actually is. I had to watch a YouTube video to refresh my memory. Still can't get through it though to the second level unless I use continues which isn't allowed.

Here's my first go. I don't know why a game about a knight relies so heavily on jumping. But I guess the same could be said about Italian plumbers.

973058839_WizardsWarriors2021-01-2918_17_06.thumb.png.55fb7466bf0640b5c1080eb037b2a05b.png

Afterwards, I continued just to get a better feel for it. I don't really like the general gameplay of jumping up the screen into the unknown, but I did get a better hang of it. I was totally lost trying to find this so called "red douche" ? but I did and ended up making it through the second level some. Score didn't count tho, but I got the practice.

My favorite part tho has to be how when you die you flail around and then your leg twitches.