IGNORED

New Atari ST/E Mega ST/E hard disk interface - Faster and more SD card compatible than SatanDisk

masteries

10 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

I want one of these if it will work on my 520ST.

Yes, the device works well for 520ST

But if your machine has 512 KB of RAM, only a minor set (around 20 - 30) of hard disk adapted games could be played.

Otherwise if your 520ST is updated to 1 MB RAM, you could use almost all available software, with the exception of few games that require STE and few hard disk adapted ones that require 2 MB due to any or other reason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, masteries said:

Yes, the device works well for 520ST

But if your machine has 512 KB of RAM, only a minor set (around 20 - 30) of hard disk adapted games could be played.

Otherwise if your 520ST is updated to 1 MB RAM, you could use almost all available software, with the exception of few games that require STE and few hard disk adapted ones that require 2 MB due to any or other reason.

This is good to hear. Thank you for responding. My 520ST is currently stocked with 512k RAM, but this is something I am looking to change in the future.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 1200XL M.U.L.E. said:

I used ICD Tools v6.5.5 to create multiple 512 MB partitions and the system seems to work on my accelerated Mega 4. No problems with loss of data. The only downside is the partitions are not both TOS and DOS compatible. 

There is a free software for PC at Peter Putnik site, called "DrvImg" that lets you manage the content of practically all hard disk formats available for ST computers.

You can create an image of your ICD Pro based hard disk with Win32diskImager or any other; and use the DrvImg software to manage the content of the disk image in your PC.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am new to this forum but have recently got one of these from Masteries wanted to share my experience. I have tried to make one of this from the info on Github but with no success. There was a video on YouTube showing this device working with the ST and it seemed very easy to use and setup.

I contacted Masteries he was very good at getting back to me and answering all my questions, I bought one and it works perfectly. The only issue that I had was writing the disk image to the micro-SD card, for me I found BalenaEtcher works instead of Win32DiskImager.

If you take the micro-SD card out and put it into a Windows PC it reads the 3 partitions and you can easily copy, move or delete files and folders. There were a lot of posts about the USB power connection, but I found that I had a combination of PSU and lead (the lead is important) that works directly on the micro-USB connection on the board, so I have removed the trailing USB lead that was already fitted.

As the 19 pin D connectors are now available from several sellers, I desoldered the modified the fitted 25 pin D connector and replaced it. The only drawback to doing this was that the power and drive LED's are obscured so I moved them to the top edge of the board.

This is a fantastic product for a very good price and works so well with my Atari 1040 STE, thanks to Masteries for making it available and supporting it so well. This is a 5 Star product.

IMG_20221124_120205a.jpg

IMG_20221028_145534a.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, masteries said:

tlgrooms, your unit has been sent some time ago,

Thanks!

---------------------------------------

There are units available!

Yes sir, I received my unit two days ago on 3/01/23.  It is working great!   Thanks!

Edited by tlgrooms
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 12:23 PM, masteries said:

@Bort Simons

Your unit has been sent,

You have a message with tracking number and usage tutorial,

Ordered it. Time between order and the device arriving at my home in germany: about a week. It works absolutely beautiful!!!!!. It's as easy as advertised. Copy the Disk Image to a SD Card, put SD Card into Device. Attach the device to the Hard Disk Port of the Atari (got a Mega ST 2), attach powercable to power source, switch on Atari. DONE. 100% would recommend.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2023 at 12:16 PM, masteries said:

@Jeruhm

Your unit has been sent,

You have a message with tracking number and usage tutorial,

Received it in Germany after a week and had no problems so far. Writing the disk image to the SD card and adding files on my Windows PC worked perfectly. Great little device! I have no experience with the ST (or STE in my case), but hopefully I'll have some fun with it in the next weeks :)

• Thanks 1