IGNORED

Gotek Drives

dhe

15 minutes ago, dhe said:

I was looking at buying a Gotek floppy drive replacement.

For those of you who have purchased a Gotek and have the traditional two half heights in the pbox, did you replace drive 1 or drive 2?

Looking forward to your answers!

I just use mine right now as drive 1, till I get a couple of good 5 1/4 drives to make more disk images of what I possess. May not be worth the effort as probably most of what I had is probably on whtech.com or other locations.

I'm looking at one to help simplify transfer of my floppy collection for sharing, archiving and use in emulators. I'd probably set it up as DSK3 at first.

As I use my TI now for this long-stalled and neglected task, DSK1 is my utility/transfer program suite, DSK2 is the source drive and DSK3 holds the TIFILES ARCIII images. This way I only need to port/convert one file per floppy over null-modem to get it onto my PC in FIAD. I used to send each program or file individually and convert each one-by-one as well. Tedious to say the least!

With a Gotek, I could skip all that and just bulk-copy till a 400k DSKimage was filled and advance to the next.

• Like 2

When the TI was my only computer, used for everything, I had a few floppies set up with all my most-used programs that used all three drives on my TI disk controller. Still wanting more space, I added another drive responding as DISK1. Using a DPDT switch, power was sent to whichever drive I wanted to be active.

MicroPendium published my little hack as a User Note in the April 1990 issue. I wonder if the Gotek could be used this way, allowing both a physical disk and Gotek's solid state disk to "share" the same drive number.

BeatingTheDriveLimit.jpg

Edited by Ed in SoDak
  • Like 4

Before the Gotek became an option I went the Lotharek route, but since TIPI has arrived on the scene, I now use the floppy emulator less than 1% of the time.  If you don't already have a TIPI, but are trying to keep expenses as low as possible, I'd suggest a TIPI/32K with a Raspberry Pi ZERO W.  You'll get << the best bang for the buck >> (my opinion) for the TI than any other option available.  

Regarding your question on the drives, the Lotharek will act as DSK1 & DSK2 at the same time.  In my case, (pre-TIPI) I was using DSK1 & DSK2 in one slot, with DSK3 as an external, the other half-height space in the P-Box was used for a homemade project.

Edited by Omega-TI

Yeah, I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on a Lotharek with the exchange and postage but as soon as they released an HXC firmware for the gotek I hooked it up. Found a model and 3D printed a mount that let's me have a 5 1/4, a 3 1/2 and a gotek all in the original opening of the PEB. Loving it. 

IMG_20210129_154658.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, snume said:

Yeah, I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on a Lotharek with the exchange and postage but as soon as they released an HXC firmware for the gotek I hooked it up. Found a model and 3D printed a mount that let's me have a 5 1/4, a 3 1/2 and a gotek all in the original opening of the PEB. Loving it. 

IMG_20210129_154658.jpg

did you design this? is there a stl somewhere?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

did you design this? is there a stl somewhere?

I got the original design off thingiverse but it was for a 128x64 OLED whereas I had the .91" 128x32 one so I modified it (poorly I must say) by adjusting the led window/mount, adding 2 holes for the leds and one for the rotary encoder. Here's the link to the original design. Mine is not one worth sharing.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4237727

He really did a bang-up job with his design.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, snume said:

I got the original design off thingiverse but it was for a 128x64 OLED whereas I had the .91" 128x32 one so I modified it (poorly I must say) by adjusting the led window/mount, adding 2 holes for the leds and one for the rotary encoder. Here's the link to the original design. Mine is not one worth sharing.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4237727

He really did a bang-up job with his design.

Man that does look good!  Printed in black, with a black drive inserted it, that would be, "oooh yeah!"  :) 

Thanks for the heads up on the design.

28 minutes ago, globeron said:

Or which Lotharek model?

Is it just plug and play?

How much you can use (size of emulated drives) it totally dependent on the maximum capability of your floppy controller.

I can only speak about the Lotharek Model as I do not own or have any personal experience with the Gotek units.

No, not exactly plug & play, you'll need adapters for your power and data cables too.  Also, you'll need to create some emulated disks to put on the drive.  If you've not spent the money yet to obtain one, I'd recommend putting your money into a TIPI unit as you'll get much more bang for the buck and you'll gain extra capabilities other than a simple storage device and the WiFI makes saving files MUCH less of a hassle.

http://www.gotekemulator.com/P_view.asp?pid=55
SFR1M44-U100K  it shows 80 sector and 160 tracks
does this model work with TI or Geneve?
my disk controllers are CorComp and BwG.

Or what are the Gotek models people use?

Or which Lotharek model?

Is it just plug and play?

If you use flash floppy firmware it can emulate any disk drive the ti can talk too.

It's as much plug and play as any disk drive is.. you have to use the proper cabling and drive select a gotek can only be drive 0 or 1 and you obviously can only use disk images of the format that your controller can read

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have a few of these drives and the FlashFloppy firmwaver (i'm used 3.23) works great.

Multiple support for different displays.  I have decided to use a 20x4 display.  As it shows everything on one screen.

You can also hookup a 128x64 OLED or 16x2, which looks good as well.  

.96-128X64oled.jpg

20X4LCD.jpg

35 minutes ago, Shift838 said:

I have a few of these drives and the FlashFloppy firmwaver (i'm used 3.23) works great.

Multiple support for different displays.  I have decided to use a 20x4 display.  As it shows everything on one screen.

You can also hookup a 128x64 OLED or 16x2, which looks good as well.  

.96-128X64oled.jpg

20X4LCD.jpg

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

How much you can use (size of emulated drives) it totally dependent on the maximum capability of your floppy controller.

I can only speak about the Lotharek Model as I do not own or have any personal experience with the Gotek units.

No, not exactly plug & play, you'll need adapters for your power and data cables too.  Also, you'll need to create some emulated disks to put on the drive.  If you've not spent the money yet to obtain one, I'd recommend putting your money into a TIPI unit as you'll get much more bang for the buck and you'll gain extra capabilities other than a simple storage device and the WiFI makes saving files MUCH less of a hassle.

Which Lotharek device do you have?

(I have the TIPI PEB for my TI and a sidecar TIPI for my standalone TI's).  It is more for my Geneve to be able to boot from floppy with key files if needed. The rest I do from HRD3000 but it need to reset it in a while and the rest i transfer via CFHDXS1 via serial of the PC.  It seems my floppy drives and diskettes start to fail. Just copied over many disks, might be dirty, but it keeps giving issues.

2 hours ago, globeron said:

Thank you!

The display it can be connected to the gotek? I saw the vcc,gnd,sca,scl interface on the display. 

Just ordered it. Hope everything works, but good thing of lazada ordering can return in 7 days, very good service. (Bit still struggling with my GBS8200 devices, just returned a few, seems all have same issue).

9 hours ago, globeron said:

The display it can be connected to the gotek? I saw the vcc,gnd,sca,scl interface on the display. 

Just ordered it. Hope everything works, but good thing of lazada ordering can return in 7 days, very good service. (Bit still struggling with my GBS8200 devices, just returned a few, seems all have same issue).

yes, so far I have been able to connect the .96 OLED 128x64, 16x2, 20x4 and 128x32 OLED to the gotek.  Just need to remember to modify your FF.CFG file so it knows what display is connected.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 5:29 AM, Omega-TI said:

I'd suggest a TIPI/32K with a Raspberry Pi ZERO W.  You'll get << the best bang for the buck >> (my opinion) for the TI than any other option available. 

One question, does the TIPI allow using a TI disk controller and physical floppy drive? My primary goal is to streamline porting my floppy collection to a PC for emulation. Sounds like it's mostly geared to go the other way; simplify getting PC TI disk images onto real iron.

The Gotek or Lotharek integrate floppies with their solid state equivalent.

One question, does the TIPI allow using a TI disk controller and physical floppy drive? My primary goal is to streamline porting my floppy collection to a PC for emulation. Sounds like it's mostly geared to go the other way; simplify getting PC TI disk images onto real iron.  

The Gotek or Lotharek integrate floppies with their solid state equivalent.

Yes it can coexist either in front of the disk controller at cru 1000 so it can optionally intercept DSK1-4 requests and redirect them to folders on tipi or or you can set the Cru to 1800 ( or anything in between ) so that the disk controller has full control 

Tipi is the easiest way to transfer files to your PC since you just copy them from the floppy disk to the tipi drive and then you can access that drive directly from your PC over the network

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 2