IGNORED

Thread for actual owners and users of the VCS: Status Report!

Mockduck

It seemed interesting and maybe a bit valuable to us owners to get a status check on how your unit is holding up and what you're thinking about it, but I'd love for this thread to get postings mostly from people who actually got a unit, have had it for a bit, and have something to say. If you got it and have since sold it, that seems valuable too, but I"m particularly curious:

1. How is the hardware holding up itself? Joystick(s), unit, etc.

2. If your sticks have had time to "break in" so to speak with hours of use, how are they holding up?

3. What is the general state of your hardware and software? Everything working right? 

4. Might be good to know in general terms how much use you've had with it, are we talking a couple of hours or literally 200+ hours of use.

5. Having fun? How much fun? I expect and demand answers that can be backed up by mathematical analysis... :) (just kidding)

Here's me:

Got the unit just before Christmas, and only got a few hours with it until early January. Have since probably put in at least 100 hours with it. 

All the hardware is holding up very well, no issues with the Classic Joystick or Atari unit itself, other than I might have a bad Wifi unit. Have not opened up unit to see if there's a bad Wifi wire connection to the case, or if it is impacted by the reported issues with the Ubuntu kernel and that particular bit of hardware. The same Bluetooth software-based connectivity issues everyone else is having, but otherwise no problems. Been impressed with how well everything has worked and looked so far outside of the above. 

I have found that decreasing the sensitivity of the paddle twist in Atari Vault in particular returns a much better gameplay experience, with a bit less jitter on some games. I think some of that jitter is the software, but I don't claim to be an expert. Reason I think so is that even on default some paddle games jitter far less than others, and a few had no jitter whatsoever. I set it to 3 myself in the Control settings and have had no issues since. 

Sorry everyone involved don't mean to be mean but I really wish we had the Flashback Classics instead of the Vault, I just like it much more overall. That's a side topic, I guess. 

The VCS' lack of online multiplayer has occasionally mattered, although I would have had to use the Founders' Discord surely to organize it were it available. Otherwise it is really great for couch co-op so far. 

I have had way more fun with the VCS than my PS5. Didn't expect that. Trust me, I'm a Playstation fan. No console war nonsense from me. Obviously the PS5 decimates the VCS in terms of raw power and the overall 4k experience. But for fun, particularly video games, the VCS has been way more interesting. 

The VCS' 4k sucks. Unless maybe that too is a more unique user experience? I wouldn't even consider switching the hardware into 4k mode after doing a comparison spending a few hours with each. 

No price talk here, don't care. That is being discussed very in-depth elsewhere. Thanks!

I have had a genuine blast with my VCS. Haven't had this much fun with hardware since I picked up a Playstation Vita in November 2012. That thing ruled, and in my whatever person opinion is still better for some things than the Switch. It's dead, though, including my internal battery on it. 

The look is for real maybe the best looking game console ever outside of the heavy six maybe. Lots of room for opinion there. However, I am only talking about the wood grains. The onyx looks great, but the lack of wood grain makes a big difference in its overall design cool factor. 

• Like 1

I get yesterday. Very bad 4K. Classic control is god but no perfect, ex the rotation. In Missile Command recharged and in many atari vault game i find problem if i use classic controller. The HDMI freeze and i need to move the cable.

No good/great game. Only indie with expensive price. Problem for connect the two controller with the bluetooth many time. Impossibile to use antstream (i use keybord but don't work). I like only the console style, is beautiful. For the other is a expensive home made pc with low power :(

For now very disappointed. 

I received my VCS on Dec 31st. I removed the AtariOS a week later or so and installed Linux Mint. The hardware is excellent for a mini PC/media center. 4K worked great, but I use 2560x1440 60Hz now, because the GUI of Linux Mint looks best at this resolution (icon size, font size).

Upgrades:

16GB RAM

512GB m.2 SATA SSD

Monitor: Samsung TV panel 50"

Microsoft all-in-one keyboard

I use my AtariVCS every day now, watching TV, surfing the web...etc

Reinstalled the AtariOS on the eMMC, just in case anything useful will be published. eMMC boot is deactivated in the BIOS.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Charles Darwin said:

Ho ricevuto il mio VCS il 31 dicembre. Ho rimosso AtariOS una settimana dopo circa e ho installato Linux Mint. L'hardware è eccellente per un mini PC / media center. Il 4K ha funzionato alla grande, ma ora uso 2560x1440 60Hz, perché la GUI di Linux Mint ha un aspetto migliore con questa risoluzione (dimensione dell'icona, dimensione del carattere).

Aggiornamenti:

16 GB di RAM

SSD SATA da 512 GB m.2

Monitor: pannello TV Samsung da 50 "

Tastiera Microsoft all-in-one

Ora uso il mio AtariVCS ogni giorno, guardando la TV, navigando sul web ... ecc

Reinstallato AtariOS su eMMC, nel caso in cui venga pubblicato qualcosa di utile. L'avvio eMMC è disattivato nel BIOS.

I buy ATARI VCS for play ATARI game not for have the another media machine.

> 1. How is the hardware holding up itself? Joystick(s), unit, etc.
>
No problems.
I didn't do any upgrades - when shops open again, I'll pick up a 2nd-hand 256GB M.2 SATA from local store.
I connected USB 3.1 SSD for Windows 10, and Ubuntu, to use my Steam/Gog/HB Libraries on the machine.

> 2. If your sticks have had time to "break in" so to speak with hours of use, how are they holding up?

>
No problems. I've never broken a stick anyway. I don't need all my strength to activate a micro-switch!

> 3. What is the general state of your hardware and software? Everything working right? 

>
No problems which can't be fixed.
The inconsistent Bluetooth behaviour on the modern controller is irritating - waiting for that update.
Some games have controller mapping problems, and updates are apparently in-progress. (Some developers told me.)

> 4. Might be good to know in general terms how much use you've had with it, are we talking a couple of hours or literally 200+ hours of use.
>

It's become my go-to system, but I am still finding new things which are fun to explore, and exploring new games.
I've been having fun trying games I would never have installed (or had use of) on my desktop or laptop PCs before. 
It also got me to dig-out old Jaguar code again, by inspiring me. Uploading from VCS to Jaguar Skunkboard was fun.

> 5. Having fun? How much fun? I expect and demand answers that can be backed up by mathematical analysis... :) (just kidding)

>
Yes, a lot of fun. I just need more time. Mathematical analysis? The answer is 42.

I'm really looking forward to the AtariOS and firmware updates.

Cheers, Richard.

Haven’t posted here in years but it seems OK thus far.

I’m gonna be cheap on the upgrade side and get a team group 1tb  sata m.2 since I’ve had one as a bulk storage drive 8n another computer I have for a while. Also gonna try and repurpose some goldkey ram from when I upgraded my wife’s overpowered laptop. I had put it in a laptop I use literally only to stream football so this seems like a better use.

Joystick takes some getting used to but I’ve only played my 2600 with a Gemstik since I got one on clearance at Kmart in the early 90s.

My 2 year old daughter is obsessed with Halloween and keeps wanting me to play the Unsung Warriors prologue.

• Like 1

Well I got mine before Christmas.  I installed Win 10 Home at first and use Steam but reinstalled Professional and activated it and using a 1TB WD Passport USB that I have had for at least 10 years. Works fine.

I have not done any upgrades as of yet,  but I plan to add more memory and I want to add the  SATA M2 SSD but I was hoping I can get my question answered here on that if possible. The FAQ only tells you how to install. Does not tell you if you need to format ahead of time or will the Atari OS recognize it and format for you.  I don't have Linux.  I only want to have that for the Atari VCS use.

I dislike the reviews that you can't play games in 1080P and yes you can. I have been doing it.

I am a little disappointed with the the "classic Joystick" as it isn't as responsive as the CX 40 and it's rougher on my right thumb because it doesn't have the rubber boot. The stick is actually shorter than the originals. My 1977 joysticks work well and I saw you can buy a USB adapter for it so I will use those when I get the adapter for the Classic Atari games.  The selection of games on the Atari vault, I have to say should have been better because some of the games you have to use a keypad controller which this Atari company should have also provided.  I have the originals so I can always play them and hope the USB Adapter works with the Keypad controllers I have as well.  I do like the Arcade games and the rotating stick for the paddle. 

I like how quiet the VCS is compared to my Gaming PC when I use STEAM on it.  I do like browsing with Google Chrome and You Tube.  I was disappointed that the Streaming apps are just website based and not like Roku or Amazon Fire TV or Stick but it works. I am just used to Roku and Amazon Fire TV or Stick. I think they stream better. So I won't be streaming all that much.  I have used it with a 4K TV with no issues as some people were having problem with theirs.  

Antstream I only like about 4 to 5 games and is limited. I didn't know what to expect from that but I enjoy those 5 games. Cavern of Mars which I have the original APX game version.  I placed 3rd on my first try. If the joystick was responsive, I would have had 1st place with no problem. LOL!

I am hoping the Game Developers will make some good First Person Shooter games and not just side scrolling. It's kind of reminding me of the Jaguar where the games were just 16 bit looking. Alien vs Predator and Iron Soldier type games but updated.

I know it's early for the developers and they are all independent and I will show my support by purchasing some of these games. I have not really bought much stuff since the Jaguar. Only buy certain games that interest me like the Wolfenstein Series and I am just bought BioShock. So If these developers make a game like BioShock I will definitely buy that.

Overall, yes I am happy that I backed the Atari VCS and and enjoy using it.

To answer your questions

Hardware is sturdy as I dropped the Modern Controller on the floor today. No cracks and did not break. No issues with any software. Bluetooth I wished would connect better.  Once I get one of the controllers connected I always have to go to devices and pair or forget my other bluetooth devices. Mouse, Harman/Kardon Onyx Speaker, Printer

Over 200 hours of use. 

I think mine was well built. VCS 800 Collectors Edition.

Thanks

• Like 1

Well as I posted on Reddit did some upgrades today here is what I had to say...

Spent some time messing around installing windows, installing an M.2, messing with the BIOS, Overclocking RAM etc.

Installed a Team 1tb m.2. This was easy enough. Installing windows is kind of a pain. It’s easy enough to install it to some sort of external USB device. Internal? Not so much. Failed installs created dummy 100mbps partitions you’ll have to delete on the M.2. I eventually installed it to an external drive then cloned the drive to the M.2. PC mode still wants to boot to an external. So I just hit escape on the keyboard and boot it into windows.

Windows was plenty useable, fast, could use this as a flat out regular computer for simple tasks.

1tb is probably a bit more than needed for this type of machine since it’s not like a AAA game powerhouse. I installed Kodi, Steam, Epic Game, Rockstar Launcher and tested games. You probably could partition the drive for future Atari side stuff. Didn’t try. 

Kodi ran flawlessly. 

The three game launchers all run fine. rockstar obviously I only tried old stuff like LA Noire which ran ok in lower resolutions. I was most curious with Epic. I never really buy anything off epic but collect the weekly free games which often are less demanding platformers. These largely installed and run without a hitch including stuff like Roller Coaster Tycoon. Doom Eternal being fairly well optimized was playable at lower settings at 720p. 

I skipped the RAM upgrade as I have RAM in a seldom used laptop but didn’t feel like taking it apart today. The factory RAM, kingston cbd26d4s9s1me-4 ddr4-2666 if they’re using it in all units was stable to 3200mhz. Arguably you’d still get better performance with some 16gb stuff because windows takes enough as it is once you start installing stuff. I never got to the Atari side tonight to see if the 3200mhz overclock benefits any Atari side software. 

Here is the userbenchmark run, unfortunately I really didn’t wait to test it until windows updates had finished.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/39612787

I do think Atari needs to work on the fan curve, it would throttle and de throttle annoyingly. I tried some different TDP settings as someone had recommended on YouTube but increasing the TDP really didn’t seem to do anything mine shipped at the second to top state which differed from whatever that reviewer’s video had, but going a setting higher didn’t matter. They probably could have passively cooled the unit had they had the top cover slotted and just had a largish finned heatsink run the length.

• Like 1

I'm enjoying the VCS very much granted the majority of my time is in Atari "PCS" mode. I played thru Half-life the other day. The Atari has basically revitalized my Steam library. Speaking of Steam, do you guys know the VR capabilities of a maxed out Atari? I'm not expecting to run anything huge just maybe something like VR chat or simple VR games.

Aside from the "PCS" I have bought a handful of games on the Atari OS. I'm happy that they've seen to been going to quality over quantity with their digital selections but I do look forward to more content being released.

I see that Antstream is now a free *with ads service, but Atari users can get access to some atari games a lower yearly rate and a paid sub free for a month. I'm wondering if those Atari games are available to all users tho. The discount on the sub is pretty significant but idk if I'll really use the service so much that disabling ads would be worth it. You all have any thoughts on VR and Antstream?

*I saw the Antstream thread and got my answer regarding it there ?

Lovin the VCS tho, I turn it on everyday when I get home from work, barely touched any other console.

Edited by txray
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, txray said:

I'm enjoying the VCS very much granted the majority of my time is in Atari "PCS" mode. I played thru Half-life the other day. The Atari has basically revitalized my Steam library. Speaking of Steam, do you guys know the VR capabilities of a maxed out Atari? I'm not expecting to run anything huge just maybe something like VR chat or simple VR games.

Aside from the "PCS" I have bought a handful of games on the Atari OS. I'm happy that they've seen to been going to quality over quantity with their digital selections but I do look forward to more content being released.

I see that Antstream is now a free *with ads service, but Atari users can get access to some atari games a lower yearly rate and a paid sub free for a month. I'm wondering if those Atari games are available to all users tho. The discount on the sub is pretty significant but idk if I'll really use the service so much that disabling ads would be worth it. You all have any thoughts on VR and Antstream?

*I saw the Antstream thread and got my answer regarding it there ?

Lovin the VCS tho, I turn it on everyday when I get home from work, barely touched any other console.

Glad to see another happy VCS user. Atari, SA’s IBM compatible console has unexpectedly become one of my favorite devices that i currently own.  The look and feel of it combined with my Unicomp Classic model M buckling spring keyboard (no abhorrent windows key next to space bar!)  is really classy. A proper keyboard adds a lot to the overall experience of using any PC.  The glowing Atari logo on the machine helps too. :D 

I know it’s nerdy but, i also really like the design of the VCS’s motherboard/PCB.  It looks pretty sexy in black. The first real Atari metal in a LONG time.   It recalls a storied legacy full of ups and downs.  Atari to me represents being human.  They have always been unlike the faceless corporations that make other electronics... all the way from barefooted joint smoking hippies assembling PONG cabinets while blasting black sabbath on the radio to Tramiel not believing in marketing and only believing in sales :D to atari being reduced to a single man at a desk and all the events leading up to today... Steve Jobs once worked for Atari and Woz built breakout.... it’s more than a company, its a cultural phenomenon.  its a brand with an incredible and fascinating history.

that history is about to get even more interesting too, with Atari hotels emerging and a lot of other experimental things the company is doing

Edited by AlecRob
  • Like 2

Got mine at Christmas.  Using it on a 4K TV.  Laggy.  I was disappointed that Atari didn't include many license games.  You would think they still had the license.  My controllers didn't come paired.  Had a hell of a time getting them paired.  Sound cuts out in 2600 emulation - really?!?  Flashback better value for 2600 games.

I've turned it on a few times hoping for an update, and none has surfaced.

I bought a Switch first week of January.  Haven't put that down!  IMHO, speaks volumes.  I'll likely box the VCS back up in a few months if no updates fix its issues.

On 2/9/2021 at 1:38 AM, yrly said:

Well as I posted on Reddit did some upgrades today here is what I had to say...

Spent some time messing around installing windows, installing an M.2, messing with the BIOS, Overclocking RAM etc.

Installed a Team 1tb m.2. This was easy enough. Installing windows is kind of a pain. It’s easy enough to install it to some sort of external USB device. Internal? Not so much. Failed installs created dummy 100mbps partitions you’ll have to delete on the M.2. I eventually installed it to an external drive then cloned the drive to the M.2. PC mode still wants to boot to an external. So I just hit escape on the keyboard and boot it into windows.

Windows was plenty useable, fast, could use this as a flat out regular computer for simple tasks.

1tb is probably a bit more than needed for this type of machine since it’s not like a AAA game powerhouse. I installed Kodi, Steam, Epic Game, Rockstar Launcher and tested games. You probably could partition the drive for future Atari side stuff. Didn’t try. 

Kodi ran flawlessly. 

The three game launchers all run fine. rockstar obviously I only tried old stuff like LA Noire which ran ok in lower resolutions. I was most curious with Epic. I never really buy anything off epic but collect the weekly free games which often are less demanding platformers. These largely installed and run without a hitch including stuff like Roller Coaster Tycoon. Doom Eternal being fairly well optimized was playable at lower settings at 720p. 

I skipped the RAM upgrade as I have RAM in a seldom used laptop but didn’t feel like taking it apart today. The factory RAM, kingston cbd26d4s9s1me-4 ddr4-2666 if they’re using it in all units was stable to 3200mhz. Arguably you’d still get better performance with some 16gb stuff because windows takes enough as it is once you start installing stuff. I never got to the Atari side tonight to see if the 3200mhz overclock benefits any Atari side software. 

Here is the userbenchmark run, unfortunately I really didn’t wait to test it until windows updates had finished.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/39612787

I do think Atari needs to work on the fan curve, it would throttle and de throttle annoyingly. I tried some different TDP settings as someone had recommended on YouTube but increasing the TDP really didn’t seem to do anything mine shipped at the second to top state which differed from whatever that reviewer’s video had, but going a setting higher didn’t matter. They probably could have passively cooled the unit had they had the top cover slotted and just had a largish finned heatsink run the length.

I don't understand. Am I the only one who can play Doom Eternal in 1080P with a decent frame rate in high settings? I also play Wolfenstein Collossus in 1080P but in medium settings.  They run well for me.  I didn't upgrade the memory at all. I did allocate the memory on Windows Settings to minimum 2048 and maximum 5120.  I may have just recently changed that to 6144 and installed the latest AMD Drivers.  I have been playing BioShock recently so I need to go back to Doom and see how it's playing again. Steam did an update recently and my games are starting to crash now. Thanks Steam. ?

10 hours ago, ftovar said:

I don't understand. Am I the only one who can play Doom Eternal in 1080P with a decent frame rate in high settings? I also play Wolfenstein Collossus in 1080P but in medium settings.  They run well for me.  I didn't upgrade the memory at all. I did allocate the memory on Windows Settings to minimum 2048 and maximum 5120.  I may have just recently changed that to 6144 and installed the latest AMD Drivers.  I have been playing BioShock recently so I need to go back to Doom and see how it's playing again. Steam did an update recently and my games are starting to crash now. Thanks Steam. ?

No, you're NOT alone. I have Doom Eternal, but not Wolfenstein Collussus, but plenty of other games.
I've also really been very happy with the new games from the VCS store. I just need more game time!

I also have an unexpanded VCS. I didn't budget for any upgrades - they're not super cheap here in NL.
I think as a traditional console gamer, I've never been so interested in the frame-rate of games etc..
To me, if I can play the game, it's responsive, and looks as it should, I enjoy it, and don't dig further...

I had so many problems with Steam - already on a regular PC. It's ridiculous, and I prefer GOG, as
I have a couple of titles which I bought, and they just black screen, on startup - not tried on VCS.

On 2/9/2021 at 6:38 PM, txray said:

The minimum specs for VR are generally a 1060.    Simple VR games could probably run at a lower spec.

22 hours ago, ftovar said:

Think it depends on what you’re used to. My main gaming computer has a 2080ti. I also didn’t allocate the memory since I didn’t upgrade it.

I've been very happy with my VCS thus far. I've played it more times since getting it, than I've played all the games on any other system and computer combined for all of 2020.

Really having fun with it. I kind of screwed myself because I didn't buy the cool PS4 style Joystick... I just got the normal "classic" Atari style joystick... which is very cool, mind you. But i can see how the other joystick would have also been useful. I only have one joystick, so I can't play any multiplayer games with my family. Looking to buy another joystick as soon as they become available... (or if anyone here has one they want to sell).

But I am definitely happy with it. The whole family has played games on it.

I haven't experienced any of the lagging that others have described. That said, I'm not using 4k. The TV I installed it on only does 1080p, so I don't know if that's the difference. I do have a 4k TV, but it's a little bit smaller and we never use it (it's in one of the guest rooms). When I move, I'll probably hook it up to that TV. But the games have been great, and I'm really loving the system... far more than I expected I would.

I'm really rooting for it to start getting more game sales. For the record, I would like to see Atari make available the AtariOS for others... so that they can make their own Linux systems. Not that I would prefer some other system, but I think it would be advantageous to others who may want to buy a cheap system, load AtariOS on there. They might be more likely to sell more controllers as well... and they could focus on being a software provider and not just a hardware provider.

Overall, VERY happy with my Atari VCS. I would have bought two during the original kickstarter had I known I'd be this pleased.

• Like 2