IGNORED

HSC18 Round 2: BLUE MAX

3 hours ago, doctorclu said:

Those planes.   All kinds of three dimensional space and they happen to hit you.  But let's just be honest, they are really just World War I cruise missiles essentially.

These planes seem to defy physics, while my bombs have to be spot on, they appear to be able to hit you if their bomb passes anywhere over your plane sprite (even when the shadow says they should have missed by several planes)

image.jpg

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, CapitanClassic said:

Really starting to hate bombers.

I remember as kid my Dad pointing out that the shadow doesn't match where the bomb lands.  Then again in my case it might have been that I died from a bomb dropped by a previous plane where the crater from the bomb was just in front of my plane.

That is what I hate the most at this point is when you get a crater right in front of your plane.  You don't have a way to steer around it, only get blown up, or not, just gotta chance it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

These planes seem to defy physics, while my bombs have to be spot on, they appear to be able to hit you if their bomb passes anywhere over your plane sprite (even when the shadow says they should have missed by several planes)

image.jpg

Getting bombed whilst sat on the runway is the most irritating thing about this game. It also doesn't seem to matter much where you land the plane either.

• Like 1

Runway Tips

I'll join the pilots breifing room discussion... I think it's our expectations that are too high: we expect to have time to fuel load up on bombs and repaire damage but the game is relatively difficult to complensate for it being quite short - only 3 stages that could be completed in a few minutes otherwise. Get further up the screen and park on the left edge, you have time then to gauge a potential threat and time to press fire to skip full fuel, less bombs etc so you can take off earlier, it's about surviving until things line up for the right pass through.

Looking forward to today's mission ;)

• Like 2

Getting the hang of it now, had a city run again only hit 2 of the 3 block things I saw. Had a crash with a load of beeps guess it was low fuel, in which case do you need to get low and wait for it to land itself? Had an earlier load of beeps at landing time and thought I had fuel, was that indicator had completed 2nd stage?

????!!!?!?!?!

7,320 AC1

BMax.thumb.jpg.9b44298ab1a0a5f5b5e6b83b02e0763e.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

Getting the hang of it now, had a city run again only hit 2 of the 3 block things I saw. Had a crash with a load of beeps guess it was low fuel, in which case do you need to get low and wait for it to land itself? Had an earlier load of beeps at landing time and thought I had fuel, was that indicator had completed 2nd stage?

????!!!?!?!?!

7,320 AC1

Sounds like the beeps you get when you are "going to town!"   The landing indicator when you get around 4K and up (and depending on other factors) will have a flashing indicator for the landing sequence.   Yes you have to hit the button to change from R to L.   And you have to land the plane and refuel.   But once back in the air... next stop... the BIG CITY.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Runway Tips

I'll join the pilots breifing room discussion... I think it's our expectations that are too high: we expect to have time to fuel load up on bombs and repaire damage but the game is relatively difficult to complensate for it being quite short - only 3 stages that could be completed in a few minutes otherwise. Get further up the screen and park on the left edge, you have time then to gauge a potential threat and time to press fire to skip full fuel, less bombs etc so you can take off earlier, it's about surviving until things line up for the right pass through.

Looking forward to today's mission ;)

I didnt know you could cut the runway time short. I thought you had to sit there until it finished!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, McKong said:

I didnt know you could cut the runway time short. I thought you had to sit there until it finished!

Same - it took me a long time to figure that out. It really isn't even necessary to land every single time, either. The plane has plenty of fuel to fly two stages before landing becomes necessary. (Unless you've taken damage to the fuel tank on the first stage.)

• Like 2

Will start up the next poll in a few minutes!

Latest tables

Just using score now but Blue Max Rank will out rank lower scores (Blue Maxes split by class if anyone gets one other than 4, otherwise tied for win, score not used as lower may be better). I'm glad I know what I'm doing :-o See bonus point info below :idea:

BLUE MAX

1st   doctorclu                BM4      7,030   12pts+3pts #*$

2nd   Deteacher             SL2      9,940  12pts
  3rd   graywest               SL1      7,850  11pts
  4th   therealbountybob    AC1      7,320  10pts
  5th   McKong                 FT1      7,250  9pts
  6th   thank you             AC1       5,790  8pts
  7th   8bitguy1               AC2       4,180  8pts
  8th   CaptainClassic       AC2       3,410  7pts
  9th   slx                       AC4      1,710  7pts
 10th   carlsson               AC4      1,460  6pts
 11th   spookt                 AC4      1,450  6pts
 12th   RedThunder          AC4      1,330  5pts
 13th   Caco                   RS1      1,280  5pts
 14th   Gury                    RS1        930  4pts
 15th   chevymad             RS1        630  4pts
 16th   pusakat                RS2        550  3pts
 17th   Sikor                    RS1        500  2pts
 18th   skr                      RS1        350  2pts

Bonus Points:

#First to be awarded The Blue Max

*NTSC Top Player

$ High Score: doctorclu  10,820  SL4

• Like 1

Great video doctorclu (apart from beign so dark!). You can really see the NTSC speed difference, the game looks much slicker and more exciting than on PAL. Noticed you never? came off the bottom edge, kept at 200 speed even when landing, if players use diagonals to move up screen can land further up on the left and have less chance of being bombed.

Another week to go on Blue Max ;-)

Round 3 POLL OPEN

• Like 1

21 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Great video doctorclu (apart from beign so dark!). You can really see the NTSC speed difference, the game looks much slicker and more exciting than on PAL. Noticed you never came off the bottom edge, kept at 200 speed even when landing, if players use diagonals to move up screen can land further up on the left and have less chance of being bombed.

Hmmm... speed difference?    I get the feeling I'm about to discover something cool.  :D

As for never staying off the bottom edge and keeping the speed at 200... you have a choice?   (please say yes, I would love to drop speed, have a plane from behind me go whizzing by, and me blast the pogeez out of them!)

As for the dark video, yes it was.   With this next video I worked to lighten things up a bit...

Blue Max Class 3 - 8,160

• Like 2

2 hours ago, doctorclu said:

Hmmm... speed difference?    I get the feeling I'm about to discover something cool.  :D

As for never staying off the bottom edge and keeping the speed at 200... you have a choice?   (please say yes, I would love to drop speed, have a plane from behind me go whizzing by, and me blast the pogeez out of them!)

As for the dark video, yes it was.   With this next video I worked to lighten things up a bit...

This is the good thing about posting a video we can all have a snoop - yes get the diagonals going and you can move around the screen - then you can get to the left edge for bombing and up screen for the landing. Thk speed goes up to 300 (cool sound too) and when you let off it drops back steadily to 200, stilll experimenting with landings.

Will watch bloopers one now :thumbsup:

• Like 1

This is already close to the funniest thing ever, laughing out loud after 11 seconds on!!!

Everyone watch 0-11 seconds at least!!

If you set up a cam on trbb, every session salutes the music, sits, trundles down the runway pulls back on the stick and CRASH forgets to reverse the controls, laughs/swears etc hopefully in week 2 i might remember to chenge it first,  hmm its 10:21pm here and as much as I am enjoying chilling listening to the Doors' LA Woman album after eating my Chicken Curry way too late, I think it's time to fly :idea:

• Haha 2

On 2/7/2021 at 1:53 PM, doctorclu said:

Ok, here is my blooper reel since in this game for me most of the frustration is what happens around the runway...

How do you stop so quickly on the runway?

I'm never able to stop before the hanger...are there brakes or something?  I always end up with not much space to take off....

Oh yeah, and too funny to get bombed like that!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, 8bitguy1 said:

How do you stop so quickly on the runway?

I'm never able to stop before the hanger...are there brakes or something?  I always end up with not much space to take off....

Oh yeah, and too funny to get bombed like that!

I get bombed like that A LOT.  :P   As you know you can hit the fire button at any time to stop fueling, reloading, and repairs to launch.  I just try to grit it out because I want my full reload.   Most of the time it pays off, and sometimes well...

As for landing, at least from my experience, the sooner you get on the runway, the sooner you stop.   So I try to get down as low as possible and drop down immediately when the landing strip is underneath the plane.

So this round of HSC has been great as I've played a game I've played for years but WITH GRAVITY!   So I was thinking, what else can I try before this round is over?   Well, I tried the game for the first time on Intermediate....

20210208_153914.thumb.jpg.422f21d655990eb95e7d70397feeb7ba.jpg

Well that wasn't terrible.   About the same DIFFICULTY so I tried advanced...

20210208_155302.thumb.jpg.06d71812421668331571f911b455db01.jpg

On this one my plane had the bombs damaged while in the big city, so I only hit two out of three bases.  Had to go for another pass, which effected the efficiency and my rank.

And that seems to be what the difference is.  The game does not become harder to play per se, just more difficult to get rank.

• Like 4

On 2/4/2021 at 2:56 PM, carlsson said:

I found that the text strings are encoded with alternating upper nybble, i.e.:

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 2a 2b 2c 2d 2e 2f 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 3a (green)
61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 6a 6b 6c 6d 6e 6f 70 71 72 73 74 75 77 77 78 79 7a (cyan)
a1 a2 a3 a4 a5 a6 a7 a8 a9 aa ab ac ad ae af b0 b1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6 b7 b8 b9 ba (red)
e1 e2 e3 e4 e5 e6 e7 e8 e9 ea eb ec ed ee ef f0 f1 f2 f3 f4 f5 f6 f7 f8 f9 fa (blue)

Apparently there are numbers 0-9 and symbols like # within range 00-1F as well...

QYXS

QYXS = 1983

• Like 4

A few things I have learned over time:

1. Flying over the water you can safely dip below 20. At least until you crash into a barge or exploding barge. But it is one trick to strafe more things on the ground and not worry about crashing into trees.

2. Enemy planes and the target indicator use the same sprite, so if there's a plane coming, there's no target coming. Alternatively, if there's no plane warning, get ready to drop a bomb.

3. You can speed up and slow down by pushing diagonally top right and bottom left, which might let you get some targets that would otherwise get away.

4. Watch the shoreline, and you'll learn to anticipate which side of the river the runway will appear.

5. Bombing everything runs up your score, but you can be killed by your own explosion if you're below 20, and you also have to spend more time on the ground reloading, which is when you are most vulnerable.

6. Finally, never bomb your own hanger. Your display list thanks you.

• Like 6