IGNORED

Got my Atari VCS... now what?

82-T/A

Hey guys, I got my Atari VCS about a month ago, and was super excited after the long wait. I hooked it up, played it, and loved it. It was great. But I haven't touched it in almost a month, just because I've been so busy and I rarely have time to play games. I've been looking on the website, and they mention something called Gamejolt? It says there's basically over 100k indie games that are available for purchase on the Atari VCS.

Looking to get some ideas for some really good indie games that play well on the Atari VCS (I assume almost all of them). I would like to buy something that also benefits Atari in some way as well (since they ended up making this system in the first place). What are some of you guys buying? Do I need to download the Gamejolt app? It wasn't immediately apparent to me when I last turned the system on.

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

Hey guys, I got my Atari VCS about a month ago, and was super excited after the long wait. I hooked it up, played it, and loved it. It was great. But I haven't touched it in almost a month, just because I've been so busy and I rarely have time to play games. I've been looking on the website, and they mention something called Gamejolt? It says there's basically over 100k indie games that are available for purchase on the Atari VCS.

Looking to get some ideas for some really good indie games that play well on the Atari VCS (I assume almost all of them). I would like to buy something that also benefits Atari in some way as well (since they ended up making this system in the first place). What are some of you guys buying? Do I need to download the Gamejolt app? It wasn't immediately apparent to me when I last turned the system on.

Thanks!

Does it blend?  Ha ha!

Did GameJolt (whatever that is, I kind of saw a few things about it in the last few days, not all of it VCS related) actually release for it?  I guess I've had mine for a month too and besides with mucking around in the bios and installing Linux on it, I haven't had much time beyond the initial week I had it to play much on it (I do want to go back and play more Boulder Dash). 

It is a fun little game system, just like you, not much time to play on it, been working like crazy lately.

Personally I am waiting for the forthcoming major update (which I thought would have been out by now) before purchasing any games.  I mainly want the controllers to function reliably while wireless.  My first game will probably be Danger Scavenger.  That looks really fun.  I also look forward to the developer finishing Unsung Heroes as I have been having a lot of fun with that demo.

27 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

Personally I am waiting for the forthcoming major update (which I thought would have been out by now) before purchasing any games.  I mainly want the controllers to function reliably while wireless.  My first game will probably be Danger Scavenger.  That looks really fun.  I also look forward to the developer finishing Unsung Heroes as I have been having a lot of fun with that demo.

I got an update today, just didn't see what changed really (as I was working at the time, and had only fired it up to test out Geforce Now.

6 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

Do I need to download the Gamejolt app? It wasn't immediately apparent to me when I last turned the system on.

There is no GameJolt app for the VCS yet, but Atari+GameJolt announced a partnership last year.
I am optimistically ? sure this will bear fruit before they ship to retail.
I am imagining another app, like for Antstream, a GameJolt store perhaps, but no information yet.
Atari did say more benefits of partnerships are pending. Secrecy before launch is normal business.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, justclaws said:

There is no GameJolt app for the VCS yet, but Atari+GameJolt announced a partnership last year.
I am optimistically ? sure this will bear fruit before they ship to retail.
I am imagining another app, like for Antstream, a GameJolt store perhaps, but no information yet.
Atari did say more benefits of partnerships are pending. Secrecy before launch is normal business.

I kind of thought the Game Jolt deal would be more for native games as opposed to another streaming service.  Antstream seems a bit hit and miss for me, depending on time of day, etc.

I don't expect it to be a streaming app.
I more expect it to be a store, or a partnership to bring games to the VCS, or to boost developer support.
I'm on GameJolt, but I've not seen anything particular yet.
I heard Atari saying partnership will bear more fruit soon, and partnerships are always good, but frustrating...
Pure speculation on my part, but I think I understand the model they are following, and it makes sense to me.

• Haha 1

Just a follow up: Thanks @justclawsand @leechfor notifying everyone here that the big update has happened.  I will be downloading the update and Danger Scavenger tonight when I get home from work.  Is there now a shopping cart for games or is it still the same?  Just curious.