IGNORED

What is this?

KG7PFS

Took some digging, but it's an AppleLine Protocol Converter.  Looks like it's a device that allowed you to use an (older) Macintosh as a terminal for IBM mainframes:

https://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/1002/retro-scan-of-the-week-appleline

Here's a manual:

https://manualzz.com/doc/7082315/apple-comp-ter-apple-cluster-controller-and-appleline

I imagine this is quite rare, as you might expect for an oddball peripheral like this released back in 1985.  I'd never even heard of this before!  According to a comment at the first link, this sucker cost $2,000!  It's also much larger than it looks in the above photo.  Here's a photo I found on Facebook that shows it sitting next to a Macintosh computer:

May be an image of ‎text that says '‎ע PLELINE APPLELINE ELI Protocol Converte 1985 A9M0307 apple apple muzeum‎'‎

..Al

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bluejay said:

Interesting. Do IBM terminals have some proprietary protocol or is it standard RS232?

I'd bet proprietary.  You could do some serial with IBM with some adapters, but usually you have something like Twinax by default with something like SNA as a protocol.  If it's more modern, you might be looking at a Token Ring connector that plugged into a MAU.

I do miss token ring..  It was pretty elegant on the wire..  NAUN, etc...  <sigh>

(OK, "modern" token ring was CAT5 and you could even do 100M, tho I moved on to ethernet before I got my hands on that.  Still, a 16M token ring device could perform as well as a 100M ethernet on a HUB at higher speeds actually...  No collisions to worry about...)

Edited by desiv

9 minutes ago, bluejay said:

Interesting. Do IBM terminals have some proprietary protocol or is it standard RS232?

Very much proprietary, along with them not using ASCII (they used EBCDIC) and specialized keyboards with lots of extra keys:

1397000.jpg

Very interesting that such a large and expensive device was required to turn a Macintosh into a terminal for these IBM machines.

..Al

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Albert said:

Very much proprietary, along with them not using ASCII (they used EBCDIC) and specialized keyboards with lots of extra keys:

1397000.jpg

Very interesting that such a large and expensive device was required to turn a Macintosh into a terminal for these IBM machines.

..Al

I had one of those keyboard at one point.  Never knew what it went to.  24 Function keys, that has to be a record!